The 1989 Corvette convertible restoration thread

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
You will survive, I could not imagine doing any of this. Not only would my back not stand up, but my mechanical abilities are way short. I am sure you will get it done and enjoy it a lot when it is finished.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n228803 said:
I'm assuming you and Lagoon aren't holding out hope for a complete rebuild...I was thinking the block if it were cast would be less salvageable than the heads if they were aluminum ? I think in the long run he would be better going with a crate short block assembly and reworking the heads?
Not anymore...but it's fun trying to spend somebody else's money isn't it. I think he's building a hoarmobile, not a AA/Fueler...Ox will be in high cotton once he gets those CherryBombs on it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Already has Flowmasters on it. It's loud.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
oxrageous;n228833 said:
Spent the entire day cleaning up the engine bay, which is covered in about a half inch of grease. Still have a long, long way to go. Disgusting work and hard on the back. It's going to be damn nice when I'm done, though......if I survive.

Before:

dirty.jpg

After:

01479780617165e85cd9ddf4c4e492b5e2db225d84.jpg

In before EPA seizure and closure!

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n228832 said:
Lot of experts in this thread. :rolleyes:

Not worried at all about the block being cracked. The heads are another matter. We'll find out what kind of shape they are in this week. They are getting dropped off at the machine shop tomorrow.

A pile of receipts came with the car. The previous owner had the transmission completely overhauled about 5,000 miles ago. It's in good shape. He also had the oil changed religiously, which is quite a surprise seeing how neglected this car is overall.

Clean and paint that bad boy, get new gaskets and stick it back in if it ran all right except for the head gasket issue. That 350 is solid for 250k w oil change. A little bottom end noise on start up is normal for GM motors. It's not like you're going to drive it across country.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Not surprisingly, both heads were cracked.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter;n228773 said:
you reckon the overheating was the giveaway on the head gasket? Those heads are aluminium....10 to 1 they're cracked.

oxrageous;n228832 said:
Lot of experts in this thread.
oxrageous;n228832 said:
:rolleyes:

oxrageous;n229811 said:
Not surprisingly, both heads were cracked.

:whistle:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good news is you can have them TIG welded or pinned, but they may be excessively warped. The machine shop should be able to advise you. Cracks are usually in the valve seat where the pressure is so constant.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Those heads weren't just cracked, they had been monkeyed with before and were not fixable. Picking up a used long block this weekend - 50,000 mile engine. Finding just the replacement aluminum heads would cost me as much as buying a block with the heads on it. In addition, I'm not sure what kind of shape my current block is in anyway. It's high mileage and probably shot, too.

Will freshen up the new engine before it goes back in - lifters, valve stem seals, front and rear main seals, oil pan gasket, etc. I'm not tearing it down. So sue me.

I'd just like to get this car back on the road before I'm eligible for Social Security. I'm not restoring a 1957 classic here.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n229892 said:
Will freshen up the new engine before it goes back in - lifters, valve stem seals, front and rear main seals, oil pan gasket, etc. I'm not tearing it down. So sue me.
giphy.gif

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
Those guys are hilarious.

As an aside, and risking Ox warning me for "going off topic", I'm surprised BBC kicked Jeremy Clarkson from the show.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know jack about cars. Well other than basic stuff. I wish I did. I'd love to be able to restore a car with my boys. Oh well.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Garage is a disaster. Wife has been very patient.

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb