.44 Magnum Purchase

The Shady Grove Gator

Relapsed Wise-Ass
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
I have an affinity for this gun and ammo. Discuss - size, barrel length, overall size, maker and model number, usefulness of preferred specification, accessories you must have, configs you advise, etc. Just feel free to discuss. I have fired my father's S&W 629 base 15 years ago and it is a gun experience that makes for nostalgic recall. 44 Auto Mag pistols are awesome...very fortunate purchase in the future.

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I’m no help when it comes to predominantly revolver calibers. I’ve only fired .44 mag from lever action rifles.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, Automags suck. Don't get a semiauto that tries to feed a rimmed cartridge.

The Shady Grove Gator

Relapsed Wise-Ass
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Dude, Automags suck. Don't get a semiauto that tries to feed a rimmed cartridge.
Under consideration. The wheelgun does speak for it self. Automag will be a superfluous purchase, if I do, but I will test in on more than one occasion. No internet purchases on this one.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I meant the design itself is flawed and there is no way around it. if the rims on the cartridges get stacked (or move under recoil) the wrong way, the thing jams. There is a reason we don't design auto pistols cartridges with rims.

Last edited:

The Shady Grove Gator

Relapsed Wise-Ass
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
I meant the design itself is flawed and there is no way around it. if the rims on the cartridges get stacked (or move under recoil) the wrong way, the thing jams. There is a reason we don't design auto pistols cartridges with rims.

Unless you meant one chambered for one of those weird automag rimless cartridges. Do they still even make those? I haven't seen one of those since the 80s .
Doubt it, it was a 6 or so year phenomenon in late 60s, early 70's. They are collectors items now mainly. Pricing used has floor of 2k plus. Thus would have to be superfluous purchase for me.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Buddy of mine had one in the 90's with a 13.5" barrel. It bucked so hard it cut some of the webbing on my hand.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Buddy of mine had one in the 90's with a 13.5" barrel. It bucked so hard it cut some of the webbing on my hand.
That actually should recoil less, with the long heavy barrel (and weight to counter the recoil), but it's all in the grip and body positioning for a beast like that too.

You never know what kind of rounds your buddy had though. There are some bear defense type rounds out there that are really, really hot.

Last edited:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Larus_smithsonianus_feet1.jpg

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I was a very skinny teenager with skin-and-bones hands.....I only remember that gun was NOT fun to shoot.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I’m not a revolver guy (for no good reason), but only weapon I’ve ever fired that I absolutely hated was a very short barreled .357 magnum my brother in law had. It literally felt like a ball pean hammer hitting my hand and was a ball of flame. Hated it

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
50 year old Farm Girl likes em big. Skip ahead to 3:50 to watch her fire the .50 cal S&W 500

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb