4800 yards

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
One thing we won't have to worry about is a vaunted passing attack. Mullen seldom had one of those. I've noticed the QBs he recruits are great athletes but average passers

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Going game by game with the schedule this would get UF to 4800 yards in total offense:

Charleston So: 600 yards
UK: 400 yards
Co State: 500 yards
at UTn: 400 yards
at Miss State: 300 yards

Well here we are 5 games in and so we can look at where UF's offense is compared to where it needs to be to have a decent offense:

Charleston Southern: projected 600 yards, actual 446 yards, difference -154 yards
Kentucky: projected 400 yards, actual 360 yards, difference -60 yards
Colorado State: projected 500 yards, actual 361 yards, difference -139 yards.
at UTn: projected 400 yards, actual 387, difference -13
at Miss State: projected 300 yards, actual 357 yards, difference +57

That works out to UF being 309 yards or slightly more than 60 yards per game below what UF would need to get to 4800 yards this season.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well here we are 5 games in and so we can look at where UF's offense is compared to where it needs to be to have a decent offense:

Charleston Southern: projected 600 yards, actual 446 yards, difference -154 yards
Kentucky: projected 400 yards, actual 360 yards, difference -60 yards
Colorado State: projected 500 yards, actual 361 yards, difference -139 yards.
at UTn: projected 400 yards, actual 387, difference -13
at Miss State: projected 300 yards, actual 357 yards, difference +57

That works out to UF being 309 yards or slightly more than 60 yards per game below what UF would need to get to 4800 yards this season.
Who cares? Points per game is a more important stat, and so far that is a vast improvement from the previous years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I guess I’ve missed all these games where you win if you have more yards.
Time of possession is all that really matters. /Chimp

I still love hearing him quote time of possession stats at the end of the game after we lost, as if we were supposed to understand that it was actually a moral victory.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I can't believe this was actually bumped to announce that we're off course to being a "decent offense", defined by some arbitrary number. There are so many mitigating circumstances not taken into account, I don't even have it in me to debate this one.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's amazing what field position can do for your disposition.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I can't believe this was actually bumped to announce that we're off course to being a "decent offense", defined by some arbitrary number. There are so many mitigating circumstances not taken into account, I don't even have it in me to debate this one.
Funny you should say that, my preseason arbitrary number for YPG is right on track. So we’re doing GREAT! :stars:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
One of the dumbest threads ever. Congrats...you have graduated from UAL.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But I'll take 47.9 pg.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Outside of the 600 yard games, your predictions seem reasonable. I think 600 doesn’t happen because Mullen will likely be deep into the bench if moving the ball is that easy.

That said, total yards, points per game, etc isn’t a great metric for measuring success. Too easily skewed by a limited number of games. Although donk is loathe to admit it, offensive efficiency stats will tell a more realistic story. It removes garbage time and adjusts for opponent strength. Check it out on football outsiders and see what you think.

Or even better by breaking down the film tape to see how each player does against the proper play. For example the 72 Dolphins did not score that much but most games were over after two TD's each taking over 7 minutes to accomplish.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Our 2018 Offense is so efficient that we don't bother gaining yards we don't need in order to win.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Couldn't agree more. This was the look on my face when I was unfortunate enough to read it:

:what2:

We had a short field the entire damn game against UT, no way to pile up a lot of yards. There's one example.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Yeah I can imagine you all excited when McElwain won the SEC East the first time. Mullen like McElwain was hired to win games AND EQUALLY IMPORTANT REVIVE UF's OFFENSE. Winning is very important, but it is also important that UF have a reasonable offense.

Of course points are important too. If Mullen developed a 600 yards per game that scored 30 points a game, he would get much criticism. I merely picked one stat that seems correlated with a good offense and developed a metric to watch the season. My numbers are not perfect or special, they just are numbers that would lead to 4800 yards or 400 yards a game that would give UF a respectable but not great offense. A more reasonable criticism/hope here would be that UF was above the average in the Ms. State game and maybe that is the start of a trend.

By the way on the points issue, five games in Mullen is 4-1 averaging 35.4 points per game. At the same time McElwain was 5-0 averaging 34.4 points per game. We all know how the McElwain tenure turned out.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Eh, it's a fan thread, but it's a bit early to be making it a beauty contest.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
By the way on the points issue, five games in Mullen is 4-1 averaging 35.4 points per game. At the same time McElwain was 5-0 averaging 34.4 points per game. We all know how the McElwain tenure turned out.
Even in Mac's BEST games, the offense looked like a disorganized failure. It looked like they had never practiced.

This team looks completely different. That's why there's hope there's going to be actual improvement, like there never was under Chimp and Butters. If you can't see that I have no idea what to say to you.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Even in Mac's BEST games, the offense looked like a disorganized failure. It looked like they had never practiced.

This team looks completely different. That's why there's hope there's going to be actual improvement, like there never was under Chimp and Butters. If you can't see that I have no idea what to say to you.

I guess we will see over time what the Mullen offense and program is. Ultimately it does not matter how it looks. It matter what it produces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb