4800 yards

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Yeah I can imagine you all excited when McElwain won the SEC East the first time. Mullen like McElwain was hired to win games AND EQUALLY IMPORTANT REVIVE UF's OFFENSE. Winning is very important, but it is also important that UF have a reasonable offense.

Of course points are important too. If Mullen developed a 600 yards per game that scored 30 points a game, he would get much criticism. I merely picked one stat that seems correlated with a good offense and developed a metric to watch the season. My numbers are not perfect or special, they just are numbers that would lead to 4800 yards or 400 yards a game that would give UF a respectable but not great offense. A more reasonable criticism/hope here would be that UF was above the average in the Ms. State game and maybe that is the start of a trend.

By the way on the points issue, five games in Mullen is 4-1 averaging 35.4 points per game. At the same time McElwain was 5-0 averaging 34.4 points per game. We all know how the McElwain tenure turned out.

giphy.gif

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I guess we will see over time what the Mullen offense and program is. Ultimately it does not matter how it looks. It matter what it produces.
I know you're still hung up on Butters, but he's gone. Grasp the fact that we are on a real path to improvement now.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I know you're still hung up on Butters, but he's gone. Grasp the fact that we are on a real path to improvement now.

No I wanted him gone. Is SD a sock puppet of yours? I would have never guessed it until this post. What I want is UF to return to being UF. UF from Ray Graves through Steve Spurrier was a program that had good offense and good defense and was not a Vince Dooely win on defense, special teams and don't lose it on offense.

Then Fooley started doing the hiring and kept trying to mimic UAL and UF became boring with good and bad records other than in the Meyer interlude. Putting a decent offense on the field is even more important in this period of declining attendance.

We shall see if Mullen is able to do that or not, but it should be clear as I have shown 5 games is not determinant on the future success of the program.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
No I wanted him gone. Is SD a sock puppet of yours? I would have never guessed it until this post. What I want is UF to return to being UF. UF from Ray Graves through Steve Spurrier was a program that had good offense and good defense and was not a Vince Dooely win on defense, special teams and don't lose it on offense.

Then Fooley started doing the hiring and kept trying to mimic UAL and UF became boring with good and bad records other than in the Meyer interlude. Putting a decent offense on the field is even more important in this period of declining attendance.

We shall see if Mullen is able to do that or not, but it should be clear as I have shown 5 games is not determinant on the future success of the program.
I read this three times and I still have no idea what your point is. We ALL want UF to return to being UF. We ALL know that 5 games is not determinant on the future success of the program.

It just seems to me you are really nitpicking here. Mullen was dealt a hideous hand and he's doing a better job so far than most of us expected.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
With the possible exception of letting a really good recruiting asset go for his allegiance to Knox, I've been very impressed with what Mullen has accomplished. He's cleaning out the McElwain stench. Unfortunately he has a couple of recruiting years to catch Smart.

But he's doing well with the ex's and O's. He's having to change the previous culture and he apparently is getting good buy-in from the players.

Most of y'all would be pleased with It's record at this point. Sure they should have beaten UK but the D was very undisciplined in not keeping their lanes and it gave UK great confidence and early in the game.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I couldn’t agree with you more on your vision of what UF has been, and should be. I equally despise the path Foley took us on. We are on the same page here.

The problem is placing arbitrary parameters of how an offense must look to be moving back that direction. As several have said, there are many things that can skew YPG.

I also think the further away we get from greatness, not only doesn’t infuriate us, it often causes us to embellish just how picture perfect things were under some of our greats. So since we’re looking at first 5 game performances that closely, consider this. Through 5 games, we’re currently at 35.4. Through 5 games in 1990, we were at 32.4.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Even in Mac's BEST games, the offense looked like a disorganized failure. It looked like they had never practiced.

This team looks completely different. That's why there's hope there's going to be actual improvement, like there never was under Chimp and Butters. If you can't see that I have no idea what to say to you.
Agreed. It's like night and day to me. We were a little sloppy at MSU, but I shutter to see how Butter's team would have done.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The problem is placing arbitrary parameters of how an offense must look to be moving back that direction.

As I have said several times on this thread including tonight, I am not placing any arbitrary parameters on how the offense must look. I put some baseline numbers down because it is easy to think thinks are fixed when you have played five games including 2 against Columbus Southern and Colorado State. I specifically said above, " My numbers are not perfect or special, they just are numbers that would lead to 4800 yards or 400 yards a game that would give UF a respectable but not great offense."

Nor have I called for Mullen to be fired after one year if he does not hit 4800 yards and have a semi-respectable offense. It would just be a bad sign, going forward, but it could be over come. I was only looking for an objective measure to look at from time to time during the ebb and flow of the season when people get excited and think the program is fixed because UF scored 13 points on the road at Ms. State.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
As I have said several times on this thread including tonight, I am not placing any arbitrary parameters on how the offense must look. I put some baseline numbers down because it is easy to think thinks are fixed when you have played five games including 2 against Columbus Southern and Colorado State.
But who on this board has said things are fixed? Everyone knows we have a long way to go. I’m not sure who you’re debating.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016

You lost all your credibility with the 'from Ray Graves to Steve Spurrier' comment. My family is from Gainesville so I grew up with the Gators and, until Steve Spurrier was coach, UF was anything but consistent in any aspect of their overall game much less the offense (see Doug Dickey). Feel free to be a tool on your own time but this entire thread is a waste of cloud storage.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
As I have said several times on this thread including tonight, I am not placing any arbitrary parameters on how the offense must look. I put some baseline numbers down because it is easy to think thinks are fixed when you have played five games including 2 against Columbus Southern and Colorado State. I specifically said above, " My numbers are not perfect or special, they just are numbers that would lead to 4800 yards or 400 yards a game that would give UF a respectable but not great offense."

Nor have I called for Mullen to be fired after one year if he does not hit 4800 yards and have a semi-respectable offense. It would just be a bad sign, going forward, but it could be over come. I was only looking for an objective measure to look at from time to time during the ebb and flow of the season when people get excited and think the program is fixed because UF scored 13 points on the road at Ms. State.

Thank you for being here to calm everyone down. :stickpoke:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was only looking for an objective measure to look at from time to time during the ebb and flow of the season when people get excited and think the program is fixed because UF scored 13 points on the road at Ms. State.

That's all you took out of the win, that we failed to put up 14?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I actually don't have a problem with the 4800 number. As insti points out, if we use that number as a measure, it puts us at a very mediocre 60th ranked offense. However numbers are useless without context. As anybody who has been watching knows we have been running a helluve a lot less plays per game than normal. Short fields and longer plays factoring into that. So yards per play might be a more instructional number. Particularly if you are looking at improvement.
We currently sit at 6.1 ypp which puts us tied at 16th in the nation. Last year 6.1 would get you 11th.
Compare with the past few years:
2017 104th (raw)
2016 100th (raw)
2015 102nd (raw)

Like 4800 it's only part of the story but damn sure looks better than what we are use to.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
9AC3DE05-46A4-49FF-8FAB-D8B48A0B4066.jpeg
I was only looking for an objective measure to look at from time to time during the ebb and flow of the season when people get excited and think the program is fixed because UF scored 13 points on the road at Ms. State.

The program is fixed??

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Insti thinks we are too stupid to understand that this is still a work in progress. I see this thought process from a few other posters (traz). It's something called the Dunning-Kruger effect.
In lay terms: Stupid people think everyone else is stupider than them.
Dude, this is a message board.

Leave the psychobabble at home and just call Insti a dork azzhole.

Btw Im just azzhole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb