5 best SEC quarterbacks since 1980

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Here, I’ll try again and post what I did a few minutes ago. You’re quite slow on the uptake but maybe you’ll get it on the second try.

Umm, nearly every college coach in the country wanted Danny to sign with their school because they thought he was going to be an incredible college quarterback...which turned out to be the case.

What’s changed, Clark? They thought. So what? You think. That’s your opinion. I’m supposed to be moved by that?

Come back to me when you have something better to offer than what everyone thought of Danny Wuerffel coming out of high school. It’s irrelevant to the conversation. Until then you’re simply playing to your audience.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
What’s changed, Clark? They thought. So what? You think. That’s your opinion. I’m supposed to be moved by that?

Come back to me when you have something better to offer than what everyone thought of Danny Wuerffel coming out of high school. It’s irrelevant to the conversation. Until then you’re simply playing to your audience.

Gawd, you’re dumb. Read the second part of what I wrote. It’s not just that college coaches thought he’d be a great QB, it’s also the fact that he indeed turned out to be a GREAT QB!!! He re-wrote the record books by the time he graduated. It’s tough to make a strong argument that he was a system QB when nearly every college coach wanted him...but somehow you continue to try.

His status coming out of HS in the eyes of most every major D-1 head coach has nothing to do with my position that he’s in the top 5 in the SEC, it’s strictly to counter your system QB position. He’s top 5 based off his college production. For a guy biatching about me contorting the argument you have a funny way of contorting the argument.

I dunno, maybe you’re too slow to even realize it. :dunno:

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gawd, you’re dumb. Read the second part of what I wrote. It’s not just that college coaches thought he’d be a great QB, it’s also the fact that he indeed turned out to be a GREAT QB!!! He re-wrote the record books by the time he graduated. It’s tough to make a strong argument that he was a system QB when nearly every college coach wanted him...but somehow you continue to try.

Did I say he wasn’t a great college quarterback? Posts #14 and 21. You’re so entrenched in your idiotic and displaced narrative that you’ve completely overlooked what I’ve written in your thread.

HE WAS GREAT. Top 5 worthy? I disagree. Hello?

Jeeeez.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Did I say he wasn’t a great college quarterback? Post #14 and 21. You’re so entrenched in your idiotic and displaced narrative that you’ve completely overlooked what I’ve written in your thread.

HE WAS GREAT. Top 5 worthy? I disagree. Hello?

Jeeeez.

You’re trying to attribute to me an argument I never made. His status coming out of HS in the eyes of most every major D-1 head coach has nothing to do with my position that he’s in the top 5 in the SEC, it’s strictly to counter your system QB position. He’s top 5 based off his college production. For a guy biatching about me contorting the argument you have a funny way of contorting the argument.

You’ve rambled on with so much nonsense you can’t even keep your B.S. straight in your own head.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You’re trying to attribute to me an argument I never made. His status coming out of HS in the eyes of most every major D-1 head coach has nothing to do with my position that he’s in the top 5 in the SEC, it’s strictly to counter your system QB position. He’s top 5 based off his college production. For a guy biatching about me contorting the argument you have a funny way of contorting the argument.

You’ve rambled on with so much nonsense you can’t even keep your B.S. straight in your own head.

Here you go. But you can move the goal posts all you want.

Umm, nearly every college coach in the country wanted Danny to sign with their school because they thought he was going to be an incredible college quarterback...which turned out to be the case. I’d say that’s more evidence supporting my position than any evidence you have supporting yours.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Here you go. But you can move the goal posts all you want.

Yeah, I wrote that a few posts AFTER and in response to you alluding to him being a system QB. Go back and read the 2nd page of this post. It’s quite clear what I was referring to.

But yeah, keep contorting or moving the goal posts.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I wrote that a few posts AFTER you alluded today him being a system QB. Go back and read the 2nd page of this post. It’s quite clear what I was referring to.

I know what I wrote. I said he was a great quarterback and was overshadowed by Spurrier. I stand by that. I think he wouldn’t have come close to the goals he reached without Spurrier. Was I trying to dis him? No. Was I attempting to be honest with history? IMO, I was.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I know what I wrote. I said he was a great quarterback and was overshadowed by Spurrier. I stand by that. I think he wouldn’t have come close to the goals he reached without Spurrier. Was I trying to dis him? No. Was I attempting to be honest with history? IMO, I was.

Now if you could just comprehend what others wrote and learn to understand context you’d be doing okay.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Now if you could just comprehend what others wrote and learn to understand context you’d be doing okay.

Context? That’s highly ironic in this thread coming from you. I understood what you meant every step of the way, through all of your missteps. You were theatrically butthurt that I even suggested he might not belong in your whatever top 5.

You’ll get over it.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Context? That’s highly ironic in this thread coming from you. I understood what you meant every step of the way, through all of your missteps. You were theatrically butthurt that I even suggested he might not belong in your whatever top 5.

You’ll get over it.

Just when I think you can’t same anything dumber than what you’ve already said, you say “hold my beer” and outdo yourself.

Obviously you didn’t understand what I was saying. Had you, you wouldn’t have posted this (see below)...because you really thought I was using his high school accolades and recruiting rankings to justify him being in the top 5 in college. It’s so obvious you did this that even Stevie Wonder can see it.

As far as me being butthurt, I’m not in the least. I’m just amazed you could be so dumb to think that I believe a high school player’s recruiting rank and high school accolades are what should be used when giving a final grade for their college career...and also that you think that I feel pro stats should be used to determine greatness in college.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Danny's accomplishments were because Spurrier coached him and he played in Spurrier's system. All the other QBs required no coaching and would be successful no matter what system the played in.
ok.gif

Atlgator98

Nov 2, 2019
DW = easily top 3 SEC QB, maybe #1. Clutch, leader, toughest SOB I’ve ever seen, was able to deal with SOS’s quick hook, introduced offense to the SEC and one of hell of a rep for Florida off the field. IMO the most underrated Gator of all time.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Danny's accomplishments were because Spurrier coached him and he played in Spurrier's system. All the other QBs required no coaching and would be successful no matter what system the played in.

By gollie Threat, I think you’re right. Pretty much every college head coach, collectively using many different systems all wanted him and thought he’d succeed in many different systems, but yeah ‘78 will have us believe it was the system. Hey, maybe ‘78 can weigh in on if Cam would have been as successful in college in a traditional drop back passing system rather than in Gus Malzahn’s system. :lol:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
QUOTE="Atlgator98, post: 980555, member: 2972"]IMO the most underrated Gator of all time.[/QUOTE]
I'd put DW solidly into the top 5....probably top 3

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Would cam newton have been the same qb with mike leach? Or Doug Nussmeier? How come spurrier never had as much success with other qb's in his 20 plus years as a HC? Wuerffel being a product of the system argument just doesn't hold any weight.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Danny is the best pro style QB of the last 30 years. Recency bias is going to call for these RPO qbs to be included. The game has evolved and so has the QB position so I partially understand. Danny was damn special. Just a small note though...Terry Dean was QB for one of those SEC titles.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
DW = easily top 3 SEC QB, maybe #1. Clutch, leader, toughest SOB I’ve ever seen, was able to deal with SOS’s quick hook, introduced offense to the SEC and one of hell of a rep for Florida off the field. IMO the most underrated Gator of all time.
Best SEC QB ever maybe. Certainly best since 1980.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.