5 best SEC quarterbacks since 1980

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Danny's accomplishments were because Spurrier coached him and he played in Spurrier's system. All the other QBs required no coaching and would be successful no matter what system the played in.
View attachment 17723

Are we really going to have this argument, meathead?

Duhhhhh, of course they all required mentoring. They also were, to varying degrees, emphasis on varying, dependent on the system they plugged into. Your inability to recognize that is mind numbingly evident.

Why do you suppose Newton came fast out of the gate as an NFL rookie while Wuerffel struggled mightily? It certainly wasn’t a matter of football IQ, for which Wuerffel can never be questioned.

Wuerffel lacked arm strength and mobility. What he had that made him great (that now makes six or seven times in this thread that I’ve referred to him not as a bum but as great) was confidence, intelligence, leadership and toughness. There was no better pairing for him than with Spurrier, with a playbook that consistently left receivers wide open if you had the gumption and savvy to throw to a spot on the field the receiver was not yet at. Once you took away that bond, you were left with a physically challenged athlete at that position.

You can try twisting that nine ways to Sundays and it remains an accurate statement.

p.s. Did you see anything from Vanderbilt yesterday that hinted they belong in the SEC?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Are we really going to have this argument, meathead?

Duhhhhh, of course they all required mentoring. They also were, to varying degrees, emphasis on varying, dependent on the system they plugged into. Your inability to recognize that is mind numbingly evident.

Why do you suppose Newton came fast out of the gate as an NFL rookie while Wuerffel struggled mightily? It certainly wasn’t a matter of football IQ, for which Wuerffel can never be questioned.

Wuerffel lacked arm strength and mobility. What he had that made him great (that now makes six or seven times in this thread that I’ve referred to him not as a bum but as great) was confidence, intelligence, leadership and toughness. There was no better pairing for him than with Spurrier, with a playbook that consistently left receivers wide open if you had the gumption and savvy to throw to a spot on the field the receiver was not yet at. Once you took away that bond, you were left with a physically challenged athlete at that position.

You can try twisting that nine ways to Sundays and it remains an accurate statement.

p.s. Did you see anything from Vanderbilt yesterday that hinted they belong in the SEC?

You're repeating itself. That's okay, I remember when my dear old grand-dad started going senile.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Once you took away that bond, you were left with a physically challenged athlete at that position.
Yeah, this is typical. People seem to be more concerned about what college kids did in the NFL.

The question wasn't who are the best NFL QBs who once played in the SEC.

Payton (cute name, my daughter has a girlfriend named Payton) Manning and Danny Wuerffel weren't even arguable in 1996 or 1997. Both players had top 3-5 rosters. One won 4 SECs, an NC, and a Heisman and the other stuck his bag on a girl's face and went to the Citrus Bowl.

This is the kind of crap we'd expect out of a Vole, but not a Gator. Do you still consider yourself a Gator, or full blown Golden Gnat?

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You're repeating itself. That's okay, I remember when my dear old grand-dad started going senile.

It would have been far more devastating to my day had you come back with an intelligent answer rather than an eighth-grade insult.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It would have been far more devastating to my day had you come back with an intelligent answer rather than an eighth-grade insult.
Oh, you're doing enough self-devastation, you don't need my help.

UCF
maroon.gif

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Oh, you're doing enough self-devastation, you don't need my help.

UCF
Suns out, guns out son!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.