5 more former Ole Miss players are eligible to play

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Peachy keen. Everyone but Jefferson. Figures.

It's because we politely beg versus telling the NCAA and the SEC what we want and why.

UF is one of the more powerful programs in the NCAA but we seem to think we are Wake Forest when it comes time to stand up for our program.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
It's because we politely beg versus telling the NCAA and the SEC what we want and why.

UF is one of the more powerful programs in the NCAA but we seem to think we are Wake Forest when it comes time to stand up for our program.

Maybe. I think we are more hated than anything...

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The attorney says there's a good reason Jefferson's request has not been submitted. I wonder what that is. I'll have to take him at his word.
Van is the only player in this group that transferred to another SEC school. This makes it slightly more complicated. It's a hurdle that the attorneys want to make sure they clear, hence the due diligence and wait for the others to be cleared.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
That doesnt mean anything to the NCAA, zero. That is a conference thing.

Everyone has excuses.

So this could be more a matter of the argument we have to make to the sec over the one we make to the ncaa. Maybe they’re letting all the precedents pile up so the sec in their abiding hate for UF can’t swoop in at the end and deny van just cuz his transfer is intra conference.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
That doesnt mean anything to the NCAA, zero. That is a conference thing.

Everyone has excuses.
Not on its own, but Ole Miss objection based on intra-conference transfer might. If their argument is beefy enough it could drag the NCAA decision on even longer.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We were talking about it but here it is from one of the Doofus Twins on Sun:

The SEC’s annual spring meetings are usually relatively dull and pedestrian. But there’s an item of business this week in Destin that certainly should catch the attention of Florida football fans.

The league will be voting on a proposal that would lift all SEC restrictions on athletes who want to transfer from one league school to another if their original schools have received a postseason ban by the NCAA, according to the USA Today.

The proposal is being sponsored by Florida and Texas A&M, and if it passes, would have an immediate impact on wide receiver Van Jefferson, who transferred to UF in January from Ole Miss, which is under NCAA probation and banned from postseason play in 2018.

If the new rule goes into effect, it would help clear the way for Jefferson to become eligible immediately. He also would need to receive a waiver from the NCAA seeking immediate eligibility.

UF has not yet sent a waiver request to the NCAA for Jefferson or wide receiver Trevon Grimes, the Ohio State transfer who is seeking immediate eligibility based on the fact he transferred to UF to be closer to a close family member dealing with a significant health issue.

If Jefferson and Grimes are ruled eligible for the 2018 season, it could have a significant impact on Florida’s offense, which has been lacking playmakers at wide receiver in recent years.

Jefferson and Grimes both stood out in the spring by consistently making plays.

Jefferson already is a proven playmaker in the SEC. In his two seasons with the Rebels, he combined to catch 91 passes for 999 yards and four touchdowns.

Grimes, a five-star recruit coming out of Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas, played in two games as a true freshman at Ohio State last fall, catching two passes for 20 yards.

Along with impacting transfers within the conference, the proposal being voted on at the spring meetings this week also would impose a substantial financial penalty on schools that have been banned from postseason play in football or basketball

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
UF has not yet sent a waiver request to the NCAA for Jefferson or wide receiver Trevon Grimes,

Lulz, that is right folks, still havent even REQUESTED the waiver. Everyone else is done and we havent even requested a waiver.

Theres that "No SEC transfer rule" some of you say doesnt exist also.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Say what??? :D

I'd be surprised if he's not cleared. The hold up is he's an underclassman and most of the others are seniors. This could still be denied by the NCAA, but our side showed good evidence that Ole Miss misled these players when they were recruited.

When did we show that evidence? Article said we haven’t even submitted our request yet.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
UF has not yet sent a waiver request to the NCAA for Jefferson or wide receiver Trevon Grimes,

Lulz, that is right folks, still havent even REQUESTED the waiver. Everyone else is done and we havent even requested a waiver.

It’s almost JUNE! These guys have been on campus for about 5 months and we haven’t submitted our request. The season is just 3 short months away :facepalm:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

So Van Jefferson makes sense - wait until there are no additional hurdles (the SECs rule) in the way then submit the package to the NCAA. Should go through quickly given the precedent set by other players. Grimes is a head scratcher. What could they be waiting on?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
When did we show that evidence? Article said we haven’t even submitted our request yet.

He has a lawyer representing him and the evidence presented has been the same that the other players presented (it was in a linked story, but that was months ago and I can't find it).

The issue w/ Jefferson is he's an underclassman and it's inter-conference.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So Van Jefferson makes sense - wait until there are no additional hurdles (the SECs rule) in the way then submit the package to the NCAA. Should go through quickly given the precedent set by other players. Grimes is a head scratcher. What could they be waiting on?
No, it really doesnt. You know bureaucracy well. You know they may or may not even get to it quickly at this late date.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He has a lawyer representing him .
I dont think he does. Some misread that article and thought he had the same attorney as the other players.

He appears to be relying on UFs attorneys, which is obviously a mistake.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I dontnthink he does. Some misread that article and thought he had the same attorney as the other players.

He appears to be relying on UFs attorneys, which is obviously a mistake.

Agree, that appears to be the case. He should have jumped on board w/ the other players. The 'other' lawyer/lawyers for those players showed very good evidence of Ole Miss misrepresenting the severity of the violations. Because it's an SEC to SEC transfer they may try to get cute. I hope not...

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

Agree with Donk that this doesn't make sense. I'm a Project Manager by trade, and in any effort you do NOT wait for other things to fall in place if they are not required - you work ahead on all paths possible until you reach a point where you HAVE to wait on something or someone else. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for more delays and surprises. We should be pushing forward, hard, on all aspects and wait to be told to hold up for something....sitting around with our thumb up our backside, hoping to ride other transfer kids' decisions to get our kids through 'quickly' is not a plan. Hope is not a plan.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Agree with Donk that this doesn't make sense. I'm a Project Manager by trade, and in any effort you do NOT wait for other things to fall in place if they are not required - you work ahead on all paths possible until you reach a point where you HAVE to wait on something or someone else. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for more delays and surprises. We should be pushing forward, hard, on all aspects and wait to be told to hold up for something....sitting around with our thumb up our backside, hoping to ride other transfer kids' decisions to get our kids through 'quickly' is not a plan. Hope is not a plan.
Ah, but you see, I’m a GOVERNMENT project manager. You always wait until the conditions are perfect to submit because folks itching to say no will find any reason to do so, I.e. an unrelated hurdle they know you haven’t cleared. It’s why things take so long - if one thing is wrong or not complete, it can (and most likely will) require resubmittal - at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.