Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
1) Jimbo's Texas A&M
2) Texas because, well, you saw what happened to UGA
3) Oregon has weird unis
4) Nebraska because coming back from 0-6 is meaningful
5) Florida has arrived, but too soon?

Florida finished the season ranked No. 7 in the AP Top 25 poll after dismantling Michigan 41-15 in the Peach Bowl. That gave them a 10-3 record in Dan Mullen's first season, which was quite the jump from the 4-7 team Mullen inherited. Of course, Florida was always better than that record suggested, and the coaching change showed it. Heading into Year Two under Mullen will be different.

There's a part of me that wonders if Mullen won too quickly in Gainesville, as fans likely would have been happy with an 8-4 regular season and a good bowl game. When you win 10 games, it tends to raise expectations, and that may not be a good thing for a team that will lose a few key players to the NFL. Initially, I thought the 2019 season would be the one where we talked about Florida as a team with a chance to get to a New Year's Six bowl and maybe a chance at winning the SEC East ahead of Georgia. Instead, we're likely to see some people picking the Gators to dethrone the Dawgs.

Friday Five: College football teams that will receive plenty of hype this offseason

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
I don’t think he won too quickly but we need to temper our expectations in case our la k of depth is an issue again

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Jimbo's still a Nole, as far as I'm concerned. And we know how we feel about Noles.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We are Florida...... We are winners...... We expect to win .......

Feels nice to say that!

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Never understood this type of thinking. Was he suppose to lose two games on purpose?

Jimbo gets way too much credit too. He’s a perennial 4 loss coach aside for two years with a heisman qb. Winston still threw 18 INTs year two. He’s a mediocre coach, beyond bloated qb coach, and won’t win the west for years.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think Jimbo's gonna end up upsetting the SEC West applecart.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I think we may see some regression in 19 but I'm still very high on the overall trend of our program. We lose a lot on both sides of the ball. It will be an interesting year. We'll go as Frank's goes.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Never understood this type of thinking. Was he suppose to lose two games on purpose?

Jimbo gets way too much credit too. He’s a perennial 4 loss coach aside for two years with a heisman qb. Winston still threw 18 INTs year two. He’s a mediocre coach, beyond bloated qb coach, and won’t win the west for years.

Agree. We won several close games that could have gone the other way, we lost a close on to Kentucky that could have gone our way, and we got blown out by Missouri at home. Any fan thinking we cruised to 10 easy wins and that's the new norm is just a casual fan. We have plenty of room for improvement, and any realistic fan shouldn't be expecting an SEC title next year (if it happens, of if we even win the East, it's a huge bonus). We still have a talent gap on our roster that Mullen is still working through. It'll take another year or so for the fans to have higher expectations.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I've always thought about blocking Trex but now that he has gone all Anarchist, it's a done deal.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think we may see some regression in 19 but I'm still very high on the overall trend of our program. We lose a lot on both sides of the ball. It will be an interesting year. We'll go as Frank's goes.

I predict we will only go as far as the OL takes us....

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Yeah Jimbo was a slew of missed calls, lucky plays, miracle plays, and 7 overtimes away from being 7-5 last year. I'm not impressed and have never been impressed. Even the year he won the title, that schedule was an absolute f*cking joke.

Texas was still a 4 loss team and lose a ton to graduation this offseason. I don't care if their douche bag coach thinks their QB is the next Tebow, he's not.

Oregon? Seriously? I mean I guess they have a good coach and a good recruiting class, but I was never that impressed with them last year.

And Nebraska? 4-8 Nebraska???? They didn't have a single win away from home, and the "best" team they beat was either 7-6 Minnesota or 7-6 Michigan St. Their other two wins were Bethune-Cookman and Illinois. GMAFB. I'm ready for the Scott Frost hype train to derail off a bridge into a ravine.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016

Franks will go as the revamped O-line goes.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think we come down to earth. Perhaps a lofty 10 wins is out there but I think this will be a transition year. Setting up 2020 to be National Champs.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Washington. Eason is going to flourish in that Petersen offense, and the murmuring in Athens will begin.

They get USC, Oregon, Utah, and Wazzu all at home as well.

As for UF right now, I'm thinking 9-3 again, with bookend wins over the in state rivals. Three losses from the group of @UK, @LSU, AU, UGA, and @MIZZOU.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well I'm pretty confident that everyone on this board will stay pretty grounded. I seriously don't think anybody will flip the F out when we lose a game or two.

Last edited:

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Washington. Eason is going to flourish in that Petersen offense, and the murmuring in Athens will begin.

They get USC, Oregon, Utah, and Wazzu all at home as well.

As for UF right now, I'm thinking 9-3 again, with bookend wins over the in state rivals. Three losses from the group of @UK, @LSU, AU, UGA, and @MIZZOU.
UK. Really? That day is over

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It will definitely be an interesting off-season. Could take a bit of a step back, but still headed in the right direction. At lease we all have something positive to talk about with Gator Football.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Step back? We're losing quite a few starters, but not many difference makers. The only position group that really worries me is O line. But I'm not sure how much we really lost. I'm not convinced that many of those players will be missed. Maybe Taylor. The rest were replacement level starters.

I'm fairly confident that the offense will be pretty explosive. If the defense ever catches up, we might be dangerous next year. I think UGA and LSU will be our swing games. They'll decide if we're back in a New Year's Six or if we're headed to the CFP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator