52-20: 25th Anniversary

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
What a glorious night that was! Any time I’m feeling down and discouraged about the Gators, I just watch a few minutes of that game and all is right with the world again.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Was a sophomore in high school deep in UGLY territory. Most the kids in my school that are magically all leg humper fans today, were "FSU" fans during high school. Took a lot of crap from everyone the year before when we got pummeled by Nebraska. Had a lot of fun the next day at school. Basically they all saw me walk in, put their heads down and scattered to not have to hear the next year of my sh*t talking. The stop and pop is still one of the greatest catches I've seen.

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Was living in San Antonio at the time and my wife who doesn't like sports was stunned to see me cry for the first time. To this day I really can't explain why but I just remember a wave of wave of emotion that caught me by surprise.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
img_0083-jpg.38763

See Dan, you don't lay down on the job until the NC is won.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I was there.

It was glorious. The greatest day in Gator history.

The build-up was incredible. Starting with the Fiesta Bowl the year before, then the "echo of the whistle" loss to FSU (I was there for that too), then Texas pulling off the miracle on 4th down to beat Nebraska and get us a rematch, then tOSU and Orlando Pace beating undefeated Jake "the snake" Plummer and Arizona State to make our game the defacto national championship game, to stomping a mud hole in our arch-rivals.

Yeah. It was fcuking glorious.

After coming back to Gainesville, we celebrated my birthday in the Swamp with sixty thousand of my best friends, fireworks, the band, Lawrence Wright doing "if you ain't a Gator...", and the HBC telling everybody there to hold up one finger and chant "We're Number One" loud enough for all the Gators in heaven to hear us. It got pretty dusty in the Swamp right about then.

Alex.

Last edited:

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
I have many great memories of that epic game, 52-20. On the bus from the hotel to the stadium I sat directly behind Spurrier's dad Graham and exchanged pleasantries with him. Terry Jackson's flip into the end zone was in front of us, just to the right, Wuerffel to Hilliard who juked two FSU defenders out of their jockstraps. After the game fuzzy memories of Bourbon St., running into a very drunk Jimmy Ray Stevens and his wife. Mo Collins was feeling no pain, both he and JRS signed my copy of the Times Picayune which had been printed up a few minutes after the final score. Gators owned Nawlins that night!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Here's a picture of that night of me (middle), @jaywalker72 , and my 14-year old cousin (his birthday too) who started 30 games at Nebraska at strong safety.

1795213_10152662347564465_403024964_o.jpg

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
It was like getting the last word after Warrick Dunn's run in '93, the Choke at Doak in '94, the Sugar Bowl on New Year's Day 1995, and the echo of the whistle in '96. We blew everything that core of FSU players did to us over those four years out of the water with that one game. Put Danny in the shotgun, keyed on Warrick Dunn, and it worked.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
I was a FGTC member and was able to attend the majority of games away. My wife & I were pretty anxious in the 1st Quarter in the end zone seats as we traded field position...but DW led us to an amazing victory with SOS playcalling. Especially sweet were the signs displaying 52-20 hanging from the I-10 overpass as we went passed through Tallacrappy...Go Gators...:jog:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some of you are old bastards!!

I graduated in May of 95, so this was right after I graduated. I was a rookie on the FD in 1996 and poor AF. I was able to get off for a few shifts and road tripped from Jax. 6 of us stayed in a sh*tty hotel a few blocks off Bourbon Street. I sat in an FSU section and some whore got us tossed out for "being obnoxious" (we were literally doing the Gator chomp and the 'first down' arm thing when we got a first down and they got all butt hurt)....so we ended up moving way down low and sat much closer to the field for the 4th quarter. Great win, great night!

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Some of you are old bastards!!

I graduated in May of 95, so this was right after I graduated. I was a rookie on the FD in 1996 and poor AF. I was able to get off for a few shifts and road tripped from Jax. 6 of us stayed in a sh*tty hotel a few blocks off Bourbon Street. I sat in an FSU section and some whore got us tossed out for "being obnoxious" (we were literally doing the Gator chomp and the 'first down' arm thing when we got a first down and they got all butt hurt)....so we ended up moving way down low and sat much closer to the field for the 4th quarter. Great win, great night!
That's make you 6 years younger than me, you soon to be 50 year old bastard! ;)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
That's make you 6 years younger than me, you soon to be 50 year old bastard! ;)

I didn't graduate on time (HS c/o '88). I went to one year of JUCO, joined the Navy, got out and into the Reserves....finished JUCO, then went to UF 93-95. I'm 51.....oooof! But that's not old - one year older than me is "old". lol

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
“Wuerffel lets it go again right on the numbers, Ike Hilliard makes a move, IT’S a touchdown for the Gattooorrrsss. Oh boy you beat on him, you beat on him like an old church bell and suddenly he stuck it in the end zone.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator