Best Posts in Thread: Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

1. CGgater

CGgater Gainesville Native
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $8,341
    Ratings:
    +11,385 / -183
    Not sure if serious...

• CGgater

CGgater Gainesville Native
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $8,341
      Ratings:
      +11,385 / -183
      You JUST saw it??? You're KILLING ME, Smalls!

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
      • Detroitgator

Detroitgator Well-Known Member
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $13,172
        Ratings:
        +21,385 / -157
        I went to see it yesterday.

I realize that I am jaded on these (not in the nitpicky detail way, just in the general way), so I'm writing this in a "pre-jaded" way! ;) Because let's be honest, no movie can capture smell and filth and adrenaline and fear and horror... we ain't there YET in the 4D and beyond movie experience!

It is beautifully filmed and the attention to detail is great. The whole "single take" effect is pretty amazing too. It should win all kinds of awards for that kind of stuff. The first third of the movie had an odd side-effect for me given how they did the "single take." For that first third of the movie, I totally felt like I was flashing back to playing the original Game Cube versions of Call of Duty and Medal of Honor games with Sons #1 and #2, when you were in "campaign mode" and each time you finished a section of the game, the game would take over when you "met" an "in game character" that would look at you and talk at you and lead you around to the next stage/mission. It wasn't a CGI thing, it was that the effect tried to make you feel like you were with them, but I felt like I was in a video game. Not a bad thing, it was just a strange effect for me. That "issue" resolves itself with a plot turn.

I don't want to say anything else about the story, cuz it would ruin things. I could add a bunch of nitpicky detail things that don't fall into "jaded", but would fall more into "they didn't have a good military adviser like Saving Private Ryan" for the things the soldiers did. I'm talking about things veteran soldiers (and they were) would not do, but I think they did it for the audience so that "we" would see more things.

All in all, it's a really good movie worth seeing, especially on the big screen. You'd need at least a 65" TV to do it any justice. It really is a "2 man Saving Private Ryan" story line set in WWI, so novel in that way and the way it was filmed, but I would still put Saving Private Ryan WELL above this, but it is good, shot differently than any other movie you've seen, and visually very well done.

• stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $6,983
          Ratings:
          +13,336 / -1,925
          [​IMG]

• ThreatMatrix

ThreatMatrix I use to be annoyed, now I'm just amused
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $10,935
            Ratings:
            +19,426 / -800
            Speaking of Apollo 11 but off topic. We lived in Orlando in the 60’s. Got to see Apollo launches from my back yard.
            My grandparents happened to fly in from NY for a launch. My grandfather got home and opened his suitcase and it wasn’t his. Turned out another passenger came to the same conclusion so we had to go back to exchange suitcases. The other passenger - Walter Cronkite.

• Swamp Queen

Swamp Queen Mrs. Sasquatch
              BANNED

Oxbucks:
              $3,404
              Ratings:
              +8,321 / -70
              Wonder Woman is awesome. Gal Gadot is hot. Sorry, no nipples. And Nav would hate it because women.

• Durty South Swamp

Durty South Swamp doodley doodley doo!
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $12,601
                Ratings:
                +24,496 / -467
                I rewatched the godfather this past weekend. In a day and era where movies are mass produced, plot lines are copied, and shock value, isms and racial/gender/wokeness is substituted for actual quality, it was a refreshing change and a real treat.

Excellent movie. Gonna watch #2 this weekend probably.

#2003 Durty South Swamp, Feb 2, 2021
                Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
                • ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $10,935
                  Ratings:
                  +19,426 / -800
                  Wonder Women 1984 (HBOMax) Gal Gadot is in this... which is the only reason to slog through this two and a half hour Hallmark TV movie. They let a girl write and direct this and it shows. The action scenes are few, far between and terrible. What we do get is a lot of angst, longing and personal discovery. Sooo... Gal and Kristen Wiig work in the same Museum when Wiig receives some artifacts including a wish crystal dildo. Coincidentally Pedro Pascal shows up in a horrible toupee to play a white guy who's ponzi scheme oil company is about to be exposed.
                  Gal and Wiig believe the artifact to be fake. However, Gal wishes on it to have Steve (Chris Pine) back. And Wiig wishes on it to be like Gal and Pedro knows that the crystal is real and obtains it from Wiig. Pedro wishes for.... infinite wishes. I kid you not. Gal figures that infinite wishes are a bad thing so her and Steve are off on the great Crystal Heist. I could go on and on much like the movie but I'll spare you. Interestingly, they allow Gal to stretch her acting chops. Gal Gadot as an actress, I can say with much conviction is very very pretty.
                  Joe Bob says... your wife should check it out,

• Funny Funny x 3
                  • Like Like x 2
                  • List
                  • ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $10,935
                    Ratings:
                    +19,426 / -800
                    Seeing Rocky Horror for the first time is probably in my top 10 life memories. I was 16 so it was one of the first adultish things I did. Took my girlfriend to see it with her older sister and friends. Somewhere in the San Marco area of jax? It was the complete audience participation experience. Throwing toast, rice, toilet paper and squirt guns. The theater was a mess. Being 16 I had never seen anything like it of course. I'll watch it when it comes on TV but I can't imagine how it comes across for anyone that didn't experience it in the moment when it was kind of underground and subversive.

TLB: There is a nipple that pokes out in a ripped shirt on one of the girls. I have a talent for spotting these things.

• Like Like x 3
                    • Funny Funny x 2
                    • List
                    • soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $22,094
                      Ratings:
                      +33,649 / -290
                      Thought I was watching the beginning of that movie a few days ago. Turns out it was just CNN talking about COVID19.

But surprisingly this is one I’ve actually seen recently. I wasn’t a fan of the movie, which I found overly stressful and frustrating. But agree on Malkovich being a bright spot. His scenes seem to always be the element of any movie that you have to stop and watch. To me, he made the Ted Bundy movie also, which I admittedly only watched in passing. He just crushes every role.

• TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $5,919
                        Ratings:
                        +9,979 / -292
                        [​IMG]

• TheDouglas78

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $5,919
                          Ratings:
                          +9,979 / -292
                          Knives Out (2019): The movie has a fantastic cast, which is what might have made this a bit disappointing for me. It's premise is that the patriarch of the family is found dead the morning after his 85th birthday. Then the mystery unfolds. The movie wasn't bad, but it had a lot of potential that seemed wasted. At the end it got a little predictable, and by the time the whole "who done it is explained" other than a few pieces it was pretty obvious. Over all it was longer than it should have been but decently entertaining 6/10.

ThreatMatrix matrix: No Boobs or Butts... but could have used some.

Teen Titans Go vs Teen Titans (2019): Daughter loves her some Teen Titans Go, so we watched this one night this weekend. The movie is as goofy and odd ball as expected. Taking the serious Teen Titans vs the zany Teen Titans Go counterparts and they do battle early then team up (because you would never see that coming). It is silly and stupid, but what do you expect from this team. 7/10.

ThreatMatrix matrix: No Boobs or Butts..... but Urg jerks off to it anyway.

• daytonacane

Oxbucks:
                            $1,343
                            Ratings:
                            +1,707 / -42
                            Just saw "Ford vs. Ferrari' and really enjoyed it. True story of Henry Ford II, vs. Enzo Ferrari. in around 1963. Ford tried to negotiate w/Mr. Ferrari and basically Ferrari insulted Ford stating he didn't want to be associated with slow, cheap cars, etc. Ford then hired the best mechanics, designers & drivers and set out to beat the ferraris in Daytona, Sebring and LeMans. Matt Damon played Carroll Shelby, American Car designer & Christian Bale played the driver Ken Mills. Fantastic racing scenes.

• Detroitgator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $13,172
                              Ratings:
                              +21,385 / -157
                              12 Strong... Part II:

OK, the first time I saw this movie was a special pre-screening in FWB and I didn't like the movie because of pretty massive historical inaccuracies from the whole idea of ODA 595 being the first team in Afghanistan to all the direct contact the team had combat wise vs. dropping just a ****load of bombs very accurately and effectively in support of Dostum and his men. I also had a big problem with how Dostum was portrayed. I chalked a lot of that up to the fact that I was distracted by seeing some people I hadn't seen in 10 years, it's Hollywood, and stuff like that. So I said I would go watch it again, alone, and I did last night. It changed none of my original opinion, but I realized something last night while I was watching the movie and I'll share that here at the end after I comment on the movie.

What I didn't like:

As I said before, for various reasons, the movie is just wrong. I don't mean just little things like the fact that K2 was literally NOTHING when we first got there (when ODA 595 arrived, they had to actually sleep on the ground for the first few days, there weren't even b-huts like in the movie), but how they even set the story up. Again, "Hollywood" and "based upon a true story" I get, but given that so many people don't read anymore and given that these kinds of movies are the only "history lesson" they'll ever get on the subject, they take more than just liberties with the truth. First of all, the whole thing of interviewing the ODA commanders and choosing 595 to go in first is fiction. ODA 555 was actually selected to go in first, two days before 595 was supposed to go in, but due to inclement weather, that didn't happen. Then, both triple nickel and 595 were scheduled to go in on the same day, and they did. However, triple nickel was actually the first ODA on the ground in Afghanistan just before 595... that's not even in dispute anywhere by anyone and never has been. But I get it, Hollywood knows that "Horse Soldiers" (a title they couldn't use for legal reasons (i.e., money)) is a better story if 595 was "chosen over all others and went in first" even though that's absolute fiction on both counts (and leaves out that the CIA was in first, but that's clear in the movie, and this is about Army guys, so I get it). It's annoying and does a disservice to all the ODA's of 5th Group and especially triple nickel. This movie could have been epic by covering the CIA/Jawbreaker/NALT, the ODAs, and Dostum/Northern Alliance from the time Gary Shroen's CIA team went in to at least through what happened in Qala i Jangi if not all the way to the fall of Kabul, but I get it, that would have been too long. But at least get the story you went with correct... again, it dishonors the accomplishments of the other ODAs, especially the ones that had actual WIA/KIAs.

On the flight in, yes, they had to fly over 20,000 foot ridge lines... it's the Hindu Kush after all. That's why the Blackhawk's had to turn back because there's no way in hell a loaded Blackhawk clears a peak that high... I mean they STRUGGLED in Afghanistan to clear 13-14,000 ridges less than half loaded (Russian Mi-17's are much better for Af/Pak than Blackhawks). In real life, they had "one-off" oxygen bottles that obviously did work. Now, that alone means the mission for the team is ONE WAY... there's no going back over the mountains without oxygen. Why wasn't that "ballsy" enough for Hollywood? But OK.

The portrayal of Dostum as wise, but selfish, especially when it depicts him as picking up his marbles and leaving while 595 bravely fights on alone until he comes back. It dishonors who Dostum was and still is, and all of his fighters. Leaves out that he offered surrender to his opponents every time and when they wouldn't, we'd very accurately bomb the piss out of them, then Dostum would attack. Also, there has never been a time in Dostum's life that he didn't lead from the front in an attack. But I get it, Hollywood for the combat scenes. That goes to the issue in the movie where for each battle, it looks like we only dropped about 10 bombs, then charge away with American's forward. 99% of the time, it just didn't work that way. Again, we precisely bombed the piss out of them, sometimes for 12-18 hours, then attacked.

Everything else "pew pew" in the movie I can forgive, because, yes, Hollywood. It's OK. Not going to nitpick uniforms or shooty shooty scenes. Oh, one last Hollywood thing, but I get it for Hollywood. At the risk of being labeled racist, ODA 595 had exactly zero black members.

What I did like:

I really liked the movie up until first combat. I actually choked up at the husband/wife "time to go" scenes. I loved that the b-hut door at K2 had a water bottle on a string attached to it so that it closes itself. I loved that one of the team members was reading "The bear went over the mountain." I loved that the vodka they took in with them and gave to Dostum was Russian Standard. I loved that they showed the kids flying kites after they liberated a village from the Taliban (kite flying was banned, and kids in Afghanistan literally fly plastic bags like you get from Walmart). There were little things that I really liked.

What I realized watching it this time:

A generation that fights a war cannot objectively watch movies about their war. I understood this for the first time last night and now know why the WWII vets on my block hated The Longest Day et all while I loved them. Why the Korean vets hated Pork Chop Hill. Why the Vietnam vets hated every movie. When you have been personally involved in a particular war/conflict, there are only degrees of which you can "like" a movie (or even documentary) about your war. I now realize why I can't watch Zero Dark Thirty for more than about 12 minutes at a stretch without wanting to throw a brick at my TV.

Bottom Line:

It's good for what it is... Hollywood's romanticization of reality... but what movie isn't when "based on a true story"?

#1034 Detroitgator, Feb 4, 2018
                              Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
                              • Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
                                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $13,575
                                Ratings:
                                +24,498 / -482
                                Watched a movie on the Hallmark channel with my wife last night. I can't remember the name of it but it was the one where the two good looking single people in their late 30s bump into each other due to an odd set of circumstances, but they resist hitting on each other due to their complicated lives. Then, just when they are starting to come around to liking each other, there is a big misunderstanding and the whole relationship is cast in doubt. Then at the last second something remarkable happens and they figure it out and the movie ends with them starting a rewarding relationship. I wish I could remember the name because I've never seen another movie like it.

• bradgator2

bradgator2 Rioting
                                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                  $6,778
                                  Ratings:
                                  +14,685 / -122
                                  Harry and the Hendersons with the kids. Mind blowing.

#697 bradgator2, Jul 30, 2017
                                  Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
                                  • Swamp Queen

Swamp Queen Mrs. Sasquatch
                                    BANNED

Oxbucks:
                                    $3,404
                                    Ratings:
                                    +8,321 / -70
                                    Zambo approves.

• ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                      $10,935
                                      Ratings:
                                      +19,426 / -800
                                      Kong Skull Island - Let me get to the important stuff first. No boobs. Which is disappointing because our heroine has large cans. But unlike Kong movies of the past Kong doesn't fall in love with her and try to remove her clothes. Very disappointing. There is an asian chick in the movie but she loves no one long time, gives no one a happy ending nor serves anyone tea so I'm not sure what purpose she serves. Even the natives keep their clothes on. Yawn. Sooo Morgan L Jackson or Samuel L Freeman, not sure which, plays an Army Colonel, who is an idiot of course and wants to kill Kong blah blah blah. **** blows up, Kong fights a lizard. Joe Bob says check it out.

Stay through the ending credits.

• Detroitgator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                        $13,172
                                        Ratings:
                                        +21,385 / -157
                                        Vanilla Sky (2001):

I still don't fukkin get it.

• Like Like x 3
                                        • Funny Funny x 1
                                        • List
                                        • TheDouglas78

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                          $5,919
                                          Ratings:
                                          +9,979 / -292
                                          Should we also post which movie theater we saw it in?

• Like Like x 3
                                          • Funny Funny x 1
                                          • List

The Box

Help

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.

1. There are currently no users chatting.
                                              • About Us

Our community sprung up when the Gatorsports message board was shut down in the summer of 2014. We pride ourselves on offering Gator-biased, yet critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is the best Gator message board you will find.
                                              • Like us on Facebook

• Buy us a Zima!

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a non-alcoholic Zima? We'd really appreciate it! Just click the "Donate" tab at the top of the page.