Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Spiderman (Homecoming) <Theater> *Marvel Fanboy disclaimer

Wasn't sure what to expect with new actor in lead role. Had heard RDJ makes appearances as a mentoring Tony Stark, so I looked forward to that and went in with an open mind. Came out quite pleased with the overall production. I thought it was true to the teenager Peter Parker, had a good dose of Stark and his right hand Happy, and was very pleased with Michael Keaton's portrayal of the Vulture. The villian role was developed as an average guy trying to make his way, and it just happens to cross the line of legality but he's doing it for his family given the current political climate. Special effects, dialogue, story line, all of it stays on par for the expectations of a Marvel film and it ties in well with the others recently released. 8/10

Wonder Woman <Theater>

Yup, snuck across the hall for another double feature. Everyone said this one was good, so I checked it out. I was actually the only one in the theater, so I suppose it's on it's way out. I will say I haven't been much of a DC fan, but I figured what the heck. I will state that I felt the film was good. Characters, action, storyline (for the most part), direction and photography. Really, I thought it was a good film....it just never really drew me in. I don't know if it is my Marvel bias....I think it was more the concept of Wonder Woman just didn't appeal as to me as well. 6/10.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Spiderman (Homecoming) <Theater> *Marvel Fanboy disclaimer

Wasn't sure what to expect with new actor in lead role. Had heard RDJ makes appearances as a mentoring Tony Stark, so I looked forward to that and went in with an open mind. Came out quite pleased with the overall production. I thought it was true to the teenager Peter Parker, had a good dose of Stark and his right hand Happy, and was very pleased with Michael Keaton's portrayal of the Vulture. The villian role was developed as an average guy trying to make his way, and it just happens to cross the line of legality but he's doing it for his family given the current political climate. Special effects, dialogue, story line, all of it stays on par for the expectations of a Marvel film and it ties in well with the others recently released. 8/10

Wonder Woman <Theater>

Yup, snuck across the hall for another double feature. Everyone said this one was good, so I checked it out. I was actually the only one in the theater, so I suppose it's on it's way out. I will say I haven't been much of a DC fan, but I figured what the heck. I will state that I felt the film was good. Characters, action, storyline (for the most part), direction and photography. Really, I thought it was a good film....it just never really drew me in. I don't know if it is my Marvel bias....I think it was more the concept of Wonder Woman just didn't appeal as to me as well. 6/10.

If there were titties would you be invested?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We watched Lion last night, really liked it. Indian (red dot Indian, not how Indian) gets separated from his brother in a train station and ends up 1600 km from home (that's kilometers for any of you who are totally confused by the metric system). He ends up being adopted by an Australian couple and after growing up, attempts to reunite with his family. Touching story, well-written and acted. It makes you feel sympathy for poor brown people though, so I'm not sure how many of you here would enjoy it. No boobies for Joe Bob.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Two for you

Fifty shades darker - wife wanted to watch. I said ok. Movie is absolutely horrible but the main Girl shows some boobs a few times. The storyline is boring so just fast forward to the boobs. The wife hated it. 1/10 for plot and 6/10 for boob parts.

Get out - thriller marketed as horror but still good. Black guy goes with white girlfriend to meet her family. All the other black people are really strange so he gets suspicious. The end game of it all was not what I thought it would be and was a nice surprise. This ones a little slow burning so be patient. Good performances from people you know. 7/10

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Get out - thriller marketed as horror but still good. Black guy goes with white girlfriend to meet her family. All the other black people are really strange so he gets suspicious. The end game of it all was not what I thought it would be and was a nice surprise. This ones a little slow burning so be patient. Good performances from people you know. 7/10

Thanks. Been really considering that one. Haven't had any horror/thriller for awhile.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Thanks. Been really considering that one. Haven't had any horror/thriller for awhile.
I liked it. I also like Split which was about 90% thriller/10% horror. That one however I feel is a movie you will either like or hate with very little in the middle.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Saw Nerve (2017) last night... Let me start with the positives (shorter list), Dave Franco is the better Franco brother, Emma Roberts isn't bad to look at, and the runtime is an hour and 36 minutes. The movie felt like 2 and a half hours. It was supposed to be exciting and dynamic, but it was bunch of fake suspense and at times high school drama. The plot is boring and predictable. 3/10.

JimBob: no titties were shown or harmed in this movie... but we do get to see a cheerleader flash her ass early on.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I liked it. I also like Split which was about 90% thriller/10% horror. That one however I feel is a movie you will either like or hate with very little in the middle.

Ha! I also want to see Split but haven't gotten to it yet. Thanks.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Saw the new Apes film and Spider-Man today. Didn't pay for Spider-Man, did that sneaky double feature thing.

Apes was fantastic. Less action than expected, but it was constructed as a REALLY good film. Great cinematography and use of score, and impeccable special effects. I hope it wins the Oscar for that because most parts honestly looked like they literally trained primates to talk, ride horses, and shoot guns. They were that well done.

Spider-Man was, as expected, very entertaining and fun. Tom Holland is perfect for the role, and the stakes were (thankfully) not as high in this one as in other Avengers films. You can't have a "world is going to end" scenario every time out, it gets stale. So they kept it contained mostly to New York and Peter Parker's world.

No boobs in either, unless you count primate nipples.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Just saw Dunkirk. Nolan is one my favorite directors so Nolan and a war movie seemed like a good idea.

The movie was intense, beautiful, bleak and well done. Not much dialogue and the little there was could be difficult to understand due to the score in the background the entire movie and the loudness of the movie.

Nolan tells the tale via land, sea, and air which made for an interesting dynamic. You could get confused by this. The cinematography is top notch. The story telling through picture and action is solid.

Check it out.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Dunkirk won't win **** since it is pro-American and candy-assed liberals in Hollywood want to rewrite history.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Do grown ass men really pay for one movie and sneak into a second movie for free?

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Just saw Dunkirk. Nolan is one my favorite directors so Nolan and a war movie seemed like a good idea.

The movie was intense, beautiful, bleak and well done. Not much dialogue and the little there was could be difficult to understand due to the score in the background the entire movie and the loudness of the movie.

Nolan tells the tale via land, sea, and air which made for an interesting dynamic. You could get confused by this. The cinematography is top notch. The story telling through picture and action is solid.

Check it out.
Saw it Saturday as well... I generally feel the same, but left expecting a little more.. I thought it was too short and could have done more to set up what turned out to be the majority of the movie(the beach). Enjoyed it though

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Dunkirk was awesome. Lack of character development may keep it off the top spot in the Oscars, but it's the best film I've seen so far this year. Christopher Nolan is on another level of filmmaking. The way he shoots, the angles he gets, the lighting he uses, and his use of score are always absolutely perfect.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Dunkirk won't win **** since it is pro-American and candy-assed liberals in Hollywood want to rewrite history.
Please enlighten us to some examples of "pro-American" films that should have won Best Picture in the past but didn't. And I beg you, please don't say American Sniper. That film was stinking hot garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.