A couple names I haven't heard

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Crunchtime;n80040 said:
And I don't read EVERYTHING on this site so don't shoot me if I missed it but...

1) Gary Patterson of TCU has run a great program for year and competed with the best the Big 12 has to offer year in and year out.
2) Bill Cowher - Yes, the ex-Steeler head coach. I would at least make the phone call if I was Foley.

Actually, I've been mentioning Gary Patterson a lot lately, but no one else has. I think it could be a great hire. Proven HC. Built programs and can recruit.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n80292 said:
Actually, I've been mentioning Gary Patterson a lot lately, but no one else has. I think it could be a great hire. Proven HC. Built programs and can recruit.

Hasn't your arm broken off by now with the amount of times you pat yourself on the back? :lol:

I do think Gary Patterson would be a great candidate for our new HC.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why are people bringing up Pro coaches names? I just don't think they convert back to the college game very well.

I want an offensive thinker as a coach - an outside the box kind of guy that will shake things up and have people scrambling to catch up. That's what won us 3 National Championships.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Crunchtime;n80065 said:
So Nick Saban is not a defensive coach? Bob Stoops is not a defensive coach? Come on guys. WM being a defensive minded coach is NOT the problem. The problem is he has no idea how to delegate and he has no idea how to actually be a HC. The common denominator you are missing is defensive minded HC who fail typically have NO head coaching experience. I get it if you don't like Bill but the anti-DC sentiment is a little flawed. What you want is a HC who hires a great OC and lets him have the autonomy to run the offensive.

Different cultures in those organizations. Florida has done best with offensive minded coaches over the last half century. The fanbase obviously perfers offensive coaches due to the talent that can be amassed at Florida. Can a defensive coach succeed in college football, yes. But like offensive coaches in the wrong organizations, a defense coach doesn't fit the Florida culture.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kliff Kingsbury would be interesting. But it would be weird having a head coach the same age as Andre Debose lol.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Harbaugh likely will stay in the NFL, but its not unreasonable that he may entertain the UM job. He's had a rough go from the front office side of things. I love the idea that we will soon be in search mode, but Foley has crushed my reality twice by picking Zook and Muschamp from left field. So I'll speculate, but Foley will then make an off-the-radar pick again, that's his history so far.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n80356 said:
Kliff Kingsbury would be interesting. But it would be weird having a head coach the same age as Andre Debose lol.
I'm in with KK. We want offense, he'll bring it. Also the guy rules with the media. That would be a nice change.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gatorphan;n80769 said:
I'm in with KK. We want offense, he'll bring it. Also the guy rules with the media. That would be a nice change.

He'd be a huge gamble, imo. And I think the old brass in the SEC, like Saban, Spurrier and Miles would eat his lunch. You're right though. He's a rock star, and his players love him.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n80805 said:
He'd be a huge gamble, imo. And I think the old brass in the SEC, like Saban, Spurrier and Miles would eat his lunch. You're right though. He's a rock star, and his players love him.
Billy Donovan was a gamble.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'd like to his teams be more balanced. But the excitement would definitely be through the roof if he was hired I wouldn't be disappointed.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gatorphan;n80818 said:

Fair enough. Not 100% sold on him, but that would be about 95% better than where I sit with the current crew.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorphan;n80818 said:
Nobody gives a rip about basketball now - it was way less back then. Not even in the same stratosphere as far as pressure to hire the right guy.

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
TheDouglas78;n80350 said:
Different cultures in those organizations. Florida has done best with offensive minded coaches over the last half century. The fan base obviously prefers offensive coaches due to the talent that can be amassed at Florida. Can a defensive coach succeed in college football, yes. But like offensive coaches in the wrong organizations, a defense coach doesn't fit the Florida culture.

Then doug man I guess for all of those wanting Charlie that rules him out as he is a defensive coach.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator2002;n80852 said:
Then doug man I guess for all of those wanting Charlie that rules him out as he is a defensive coach.

It does. He is one of the respectible men I have met who coached at the University of Florida in my lifetime. He would be an poor fit for the culture of this organization as Head Coach.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Dougie is right. After the last few years of how bad our offense has been and knowing what it used to be I'd slit my rist if they hired another defensive guy. And I think if you look at the last 2nhalf decades the results of an offensive minded coach vs defensive minded coach ,they speak for themselves.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n80845 said:
Nobody gives a rip about basketball now - it was way less back then. Not even in the same stratosphere as far as pressure to hire the right guy.
You're right. But I still like Kingsbury as a candidate

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
GatorBart;n80870 said:
Seriously? Chip Kelly - Eagles HC (former Oregon HC)

Would that be the 5-1 Eagles, you're referring to there?

No, CK needs to stay put. There are several great HCs that we should be looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator