A feel good video--about Autism

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
This video is one of those feel good vids, especially if you are affected in any way by Autism--whether you have a child with it(like I do), or have a family or friend with autism. This guy does some great videos covering a lot of different topic(such as the great toothpaste video I posted a few months ago). I had no idea he had an autistic son until this video, and Mark Rober does an absolutely great job in explaining what autism is in an entertaining way. Plus the video is to announce and promote a new program...."Next for Autism". Only 10 min video but I think it is time well spent.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Thanks buddy....spent the last 5 minutes in the bathroom crying my eyes out reliving the journey....so much I still don't understand.....

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
I enjoyed that video very much. I understand a lot of what autistic kids go through. I'm ate up with about every learning disability known to man. Dyslexia, dysgraphia and I read at about 1/5th the speed of the average person. My reaction times are slower than everybody else, I can actually feel a delay between the time I see something and it registers in my brain. I went through intensive testing in elementary school to see why I was struggling so but in the 50s they didn't have the same understanding of these things that they have today. The diagnosis I had to live with for the next 60 years was that I had an extremely high IQ so I must not be trying very hard.
Am I autistic, probably not but I do have a lot of traits autistics live with right down to the sensory overload thing. Not as much with sounds & lights but more with smells and tastes. I eat only very plain food and live on a very limited diet, I can't handle multiple tastes hitting my brain at the same time.

I realize there are a lot of kids who have symptoms many times worse than mine and I truly feel for them.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
For anyone interested, the Fund Raising event the video above mentioned..."Color the Spectrum" is live now on YouTube. They're raising money for autistic kids going into adulthood. Mark Rober(his son was focus of video) and Jimmy Kimmel are hosting. To those of us with an autistic child--it's worth watching. Not bad for anyone else as well.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
That video definitely brought a smile to my face. Thank you so much.

@secgator, does your autism child have any special abilities?
No special abilities. She's actually non-verbal and at the moderate-functioning level. She makes sounds and tries to make words--sometimes certain words are fairly clear actually. But carrying on a conversation doesn't happen. It does between myself and her, but only because I can discern what she is asking for or trying to convey. It's a challenge....24/7 challenge. But worth it in the big scheme of things.;) She doesn't play musical instruments....doesn't do math equations....obviously doesn't sing....none of the things most of the true 'gifted' autistics are known to do.

I will say she is actually smarter and brighter than what most would think and extremely inquisitive about things. She's self taught on using a tablet. When I first got her one, I had to find the videos she might like on YouTube for example....and it was pure 'hope' that I got it right. When she would tire of one video she let me know with a motion or sound to "go"....meaning find a different video. After trying a video or 2 or 150, I might luck into one she wanted. That was time consuming like you can not imagine! I then decided to attempt to teach her basic swiping on the screen, scrolling, clicking, etc.....so it would give her the independence of being able to choose what she wanted to watch and when. Big step for her if it worked. It took a whole 3 minutes and she took over! She looked at me like, "Dad....I got this". Ever since, she does everything on her own. I know it's not a big deal to most folks but to us--going from having to do everything on her first tablet to her proficiency now is a mountain of an achievement. And I wasn't exaggerating either when I said 3 minutes. She watched me explain it to her and show her ONCE....and boom--she was totally in control. I was so friggin proud. Also relieved I wasn't going to be locked down for hours at a time anymore playing whack-a-mole trying to find a video! That was about 8-9 years ago. She hasn't needed my help at all since then. She truly has mastered some short-cuts and techniques that I would have likely never figured out on my own as well.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
No special abilities. She's actually non-verbal and at the moderate-functioning level. She makes sounds and tries to make words--sometimes certain words are fairly clear actually. But carrying on a conversation doesn't happen. It does between myself and her, but only because I can discern what she is asking for or trying to convey. It's a challenge....24/7 challenge. But worth it in the big scheme of things.;) She doesn't play musical instruments....doesn't do math equations....obviously doesn't sing....none of the things most of the true 'gifted' autistics are known to do.

I will say she is actually smarter and brighter than what most would think and extremely inquisitive about things. She's self taught on using a tablet. When I first got her one, I had to find the videos she might like on YouTube for example....and it was pure 'hope' that I got it right. When she would tire of one video she let me know with a motion or sound to "go"....meaning find a different video. After trying a video or 2 or 150, I might luck into one she wanted. That was time consuming like you can not imagine! I then decided to attempt to teach her basic swiping on the screen, scrolling, clicking, etc.....so it would give her the independence of being able to choose what she wanted to watch and when. Big step for her if it worked. It took a whole 3 minutes and she took over! She looked at me like, "Dad....I got this". Ever since, she does everything on her own. I know it's not a big deal to most folks but to us--going from having to do everything on her first tablet to her proficiency now is a mountain of an achievement. And I wasn't exaggerating either when I said 3 minutes. She watched me explain it to her and show her ONCE....and boom--she was totally in control. I was so friggin proud. Also relieved I wasn't going to be locked down for hours at a time anymore playing whack-a-mole trying to find a video! That was about 8-9 years ago. She hasn't needed my help at all since then. She truly has mastered some short-cuts and techniques that I would have likely never figured out on my own as well.
That is so awesome! Reading that made me extremely proud of her and for her. For you as well. How old is your little genius princess?

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
That is so awesome! Reading that made me extremely proud of her and for her. For you as well. How old is your little genius princess?
She's not 'little' (as in young) anymore---she's 27 now, but honestly looks like she's about 17. At any age a daughter will always be a dad's 'little princess' but my daughter fits that bill moreso than most. I feel like I have a teenage daughter by the way she looks, her innocence, and her actions. I refer to her as my 'young lady' more than I do as my 'little girl'. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.