A Good Thing, or a Bad Thing?

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So... many of you know that a long time employee of the Florida Athletic Department (Chip Howard) and right hand man to Jeremy Foley recently resigned. I recently spoke to someone who is very close to him (and this person has given me little tidbits about the Gator program because of their close affiliation with him). I specifically asked WHY Chip resigned and if it had anything to do with the new AD.?.

The short answer to my direct question is NO. It had nothing to do with the new AD. They then went on to elaborate and said first of all, that he had been there 28 years and that was a long time to be in one stop and that the demands of his job were keeping him away from his young children too much. So this was a new opportunity to spend a little more time with family. The SECOND THING said is what really intrigued me. They said that Coach Mac is driving the Athletic Department higher ups absolutely crazy. He is VERY demanding and wants what he wants and wants it NOW!

He is pushing HARD, to the point of really rubbing people the wrong way, for upgrades to the facilities, coaching, and support staff. They said Mac wants ALL the bells and whistles in the new facility and then said something else... They said he's IS NOT going to get EVERYTHING he wants Mac is gonna be pissed and give them holy hell.

So.... I'm one who is and has been on the fence about Coach Mac. I see the state of the program he inherited for what is what...an absolute dumpster fire. I see he has made headway with some hires, some offensive talent, etc. But I am also very disgusted with our lack of offense and am unsatisfied with our recruiting as a whole, and embarrassing blowout losses... I'm hoping he can turn it around but I'm not confident enough in him that he will.

But to the point of this posts... Mac is really rubbing people in Athletic Department the wrong way...To the point of, if not directly causing it, at least making it easier for them to resign. My question to you is, do you think that's a good thing or a bad thing???

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
They arent used to a HC making these kinds of demands. They need to listen if they want to keep up with the rest of the schools. He will leave this place better than he found it facility wise.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If Mac is doing that I might have to give him more credit than before. They need to get away from that cheap Foley crap and get some extra bells and whistles to keep us always around the top 5 level in recruiting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They said that Coach Mac is driving the Athletic Department higher ups absolutely crazy. He is VERY demanding and wants what he wants and wants it NOW!... They said he's IS NOT going to get EVERYTHING he wants Mac is gonna be pissed and give them holy hell
If true, and Ive heard rumors also, its the only strength that Butters has.

Not going to get all he wants? We are in our third year and Butters still has shyt for a support staff and a weak coaching staff, maybe one of the weakest in the SEC save Vandy. So far our signature moves in the offseasons to strengthen our support staff were to hire a HS basketball coach (still smh) and a cameraman. That's one hell of an understatement that Butters isnt going to get what he wants.

Sos left a few days after Ernest Grahamgate and Meyer left talking about our program being broken. They were right.

If Mac manages to run off all the rest of the slumlord crew from the previous AD, then he has accomplished something during his short stay here.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I will absolutely give him credit for demanding upgrades. Great! This is a separate issue from the product on the field. This should really be a huge eye opener to the Foleyites. Bang that drum coach.

Foley's isolationist football attitude and poor coaching choices have really done a number on the program. I have never understood it.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I have a friend that's a project manager for housing and he's pushing them very hard also. They've named him Mac the builder.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Atta boy, Mac.

Gonna be hard for those who hate both Mac and Foley & co on this one. Which side do you take?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Kinda sounds to me like it didn't matter who we hired. Anybody would've had a hard time turning the program around constantly having to fight your administration over every little thing you need to make us better.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's encouraging that Mac is fighting for improvements, but at the same time it's discouraging that the administration is being resistant towards that.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Yet another reason not to hire a Saban acolyte is that at UF and other places, the tail is not allowed to wag the dog. The Saban act will grow thin at UF quickly. He may regret not going after that Oregon job, if he knows nothing more than to act like Saban.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator, I am not sure from reading your post. Is Mac being held back on coaching salaries so that he cannot hire the best position coaches and coordinators?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yet another reason not to hire a Saban acolyte is that at UF and other places, the tail is not allowed to wag the dog.
UF needs to decide if we want to stay in Division 1 football or drop down to 1AA.

I see that some would prefer the latter. In any event trying to run the program like it is still 1983 hasnt worked.... at all. We are a laughingstock. The recruits always comment on how terrible our facilities are and the Fooleyites just dig in their heels even more.

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
My experience is when you as an employee make life difficult for your superiors eventually they get tired of your approach and you get fired. Now there is a massive difference between an employee coming to management with proposals, cost benefit analysis, and the improvements that can be expected. This is generally called team work, which if the HBC does not understand well he is not the right person for the job. Challenging constraints and the typical way is great, when it becomes more than that it is not.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good for him, keep fighting the good fight.

Wonder if this has anything to do with why Nuss and Nord are still employed? :dunno:

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Given the state of the football program, I cannot choose sides.

I agree that Mac should push the Kmart headquarters to step up and compete with the other top programs.

I also question the fact that Mac cannot recruit well enough to save his own a$$. What success he has enjoyed so far is due to hiring assistants that can do his job for him. He says "recruit daily or die." Well coach you better stay close to the family doctor.

I am not defending the administration but why is it that chimp could recruit better when he was here with worse facilities and no plans for improvement?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
My experience is when you as an employee make life difficult for your superiors eventually they get tired of your approach and you get fired. Now there is a massive difference between an employee coming to management with proposals, cost benefit analysis, and the improvements that can be expected. This is generally called team work, which if the HBC does not understand well he is not the right person for the job. Challenging constraints and the typical way is great, when it becomes more than that it is not.

Well star employees who are difficult are often tolerated because they are star employees. Still the process usually, get hired, produce at a star level, become difficult. The process of get hired, become difficult, produce at a star level is an interesting new path to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.