A Good Thing, or a Bad Thing?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
And it's not just facililties. Bammer has 30 guys watching film, half or so of them have been previous college coaches. These QC/coaches are why Bammer always knows what play we are likely to run just by formation and maybe player packages.
To be fair even a knucklehead like Bert knew which of our 4 plays were going to be run....

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I don't think we landed an AD with a "championship" mindset. It's more of the same Dollar General hiring. Where he came from, we're world champions already.

So all those championships in sports that some say don't really matter are nothing? Look at our objectives for the entire program, not just football.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"In its 2013-14 NCAA financial report, Alabama reported spending $2.7 million on football support staff. (That's the most recent year of NCAA financial data currently available.) The school spent $837,000 on a much smaller support staff in 2005-06, the final full year under former coach Mike Shula. By Saban’s first full year in 2007-08, salaries for the support staff soared to $1.9 million.

Clemson reported spending $2.5 million on football support staff in 2013-14, up from $480,000 about a decade ago. Dabo Swinney significantly increased the number of additional staffers and the pay for those employees since he became the full-time head coach in 2009.

“We used to have one GA,” Swinney said. “Now the GAs have GAs. They have their own staff. I tell these guys sometimes, like man, y’all have no clue.”

Much more here:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-game-with-3-million-football-support-staffs/

It's not just Bammer and Clown Town. It's Crackumbus, Oreygun, Meatchicken, USC, LSU, TAMU, Clempson, Ole Miss, now Texass too. It's all the elite teams. Most of the second tier teams are moving that way also.

It's why the elite teams look like they know what they are doing, and why we look like we haven't practiced in two months and are happy to score once or twice.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
By the way, as best I can tell, our puny fvkking staff is 7 people and 4 GAs. I've seen various numbers for Bammer of 30-50 people.

Yeah, keep doing it the Fooley Way and see how this goes.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
So all those championships in sports that some say don't really matter are nothing? Look at our objectives for the entire program, not just football.

I don't know the answer but are we re-distributing income from the higher earning sports among low/non-earning sports? Title IX does not require that. Just that the $ spent by the university based on public funding is fairly apportioned. A large part of college athletics income (i.e., football) comes from donors, boosters etc. which is outside state allocations and targeted towards a particular sport.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

This isnt 1982. We have to commit to winning (or clean out the Athletic Department) or we will become Nebraska, Notre Dame, Miami or Cal dreaming about the good ole days several decades ago.
Wake up. We already are dreaming about the good ole days.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I don't know the answer but are we re-distributing income from the higher earning sports among low/non-earning sports? Title IX does not require that. Just that the $ spent by the university based on public funding is fairly apportioned. A large part of college athletics income (i.e., football) comes from donors, boosters etc. which is outside state allocations and targeted towards a particular sport.

Yes we are doing exactly what you describe, and I accept that Title IX does not require this. Florida has decided that if we are going to have a sport we will attempt to compete for championships in that short. So we don't do the female sports differently than say football. We desire SEC and NC championships on the field. We desire to have great academics in the classroom. We desire to have great individuals in their college and post college lives. This costs money and if I believed that throwing more money at football would result in an NC no matter what I bet a lot of Bull Gators would pony up whatever was required. Look at how quickly the indoor practice facility was funded and built, they made a great case, designed and funded it quickly. If the Bull Gators just wanted football as a successful program no AD could keep his job.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Wake up. We already are dreaming about the good ole days.

Being somewhat older I remember quite clearly the bad old days. Twice throwing the ball out of bounds on fourth down to stop the clock (I recently learned that one might have been due to a concussion), loosing to the Voles and others. A BBall team that was an embarrassment. Now we have a championship system, must better, and much better academics as well which is the real reason that UF exists.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
What is a UAL. A Russian car? I don't like them. No that's a URAL. I have no clue.

I believe it is "University of Arkansas Littlerock", hence the later reply from Crete about Coach Porkbelly.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I believe it is "University of Arkansas Littlerock", hence the later reply from Crete about Coach Porkbelly.
Nope-Insti likes to call Bama UAL-drives the Donkey nuts. :lol:

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Folks, it's not just facilities for the purpose of recruiting. It's facilities for film study, workout facilities (the kids only have short windows to work out, they do have classes, some times are busier than others and if there are lines, the kids might miss their chances), facilities for nutrition, facilities for therapy and recovery. The closer these things are together, the less time the kids miss and the more chance they complete everything the need to get done.

And it's not just facililties. Bammer has 30 guys watching film, half or so of them have been previous college coaches. These QC/coaches are why Bammer always knows what play we are likely to run just by formation and maybe player packages.

They have another bunch watching player practices and noting things on tape that the players need to improve. Hell the QC guys can meet with the kids almost without restrictions. They are basically the REAL coaches.

Then there is another large bunch of Bammer staff doing nothing but watching films of recruits and traveling to watch camps and games. Dozens. Wanna know why Bammer is scrambling for recruits in January, because they put enough resources to it. They aren't waiting until after the bowl game for the handful of QA coaches and the coaching staff to get past Bowl Game prep before they start watching film and making decisions about recruits.

Frankly, I think Bammer's back bench coaches are probably better coaches than our first 9. They certainly have better resumes.

It's not just gold toilets and fountains like some of you imply. We ARE not going to keep up with facilities and staff of a 1AA team. I am offended by the concept that some of you raise that we should abandon the thought of competing with them and the other big boys altogether.

Do I think facilities are the ONLY reason Butters can't recruit? Of course not. Great recruiters get promoted quickly and Butters spent most of his 35 years toiling as a journeyman with dawgshyt programs for a reason. One of them is that he can't recruit.

However, there is no doubt that his budget is hampering him from hiring a better staff. Saban was no magician recruiter either at MSU or Corndog. However, he hires guys that are pretty good and winning helps a ton, too. We didn't wait three months to hire an OL coach to get N Texas or the same time to get a RB coach from FIU to coach our WRs. We went fishing for the big boys and didn't have the enough bait.

It is ALL part of the problem.

This isnt 1982. We have to commit to winning (or clean out the Athletic Department) or we will become Nebraska, Notre Dame, Miami or Cal dreaming about the good ole days several decades ago.
Excellent!

BTW, I heard Notre Dame is doing a major upgrade now.

Also saw something NCAA is discussing this year about the number of QA guys a school has. Was in some brief article that mentioned about the 10th coach..

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator