A little something for the "Pumpers"

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You want me to read a Bianchi article?

Well it was surprisingly optimistic for the Gators. Not his normal mode of operation...

But you're right...we don't like him around here so why give him the clicks. My bad... :embarrassed:

Here's the pertinent information...

"Jim McElwain can take the Florida Gators back to Atlanta for the SEC Championship Game in Year 1 of his coaching tenure, then what rarefied air and implausible altitude might he elevate them to in Year 2?

Could he conceivably and unbelievably take them back to the future, where the two greatest coaches in school history put their programs on the map in Year 2 of their tenures? Steve Spurrier won a school-first Southeastern Conference title in 1991 during his second year on the job. Urban Meyer won a national title in 2008 during Year 2 of his white-hot six-year run of dominance in Gainesville.

Even Will Muschamp, perhaps the most disappointing UF football coach of the modern era, won 11 games in the second season of his mundane four-year run in Gainesville. Come on now, if Muschamp can win 11 in Year 2 then McElwain should be able to win the Super Bowl.

The gaggle of giddy Gators who came to hear McElwain address the Central Florida Gator Club Wednesday Night at the Plaza Live Theater in downtown Orlando certainly didn't disagree with my theory that McElwain will follow the career paths of Spurrier and Meyer and really begin to put his imprint on UF's program in Year 2.

"Last year, Coach Mac laid the slab of concrete and put in a foundation," said long-time UF supporter Dave Cavanaugh of Ocoee. "This year is when he really starts building his empire."

McElwain acknowledges that getting the Gators back to Atlanta for the first time in six seasons was a notable accomplishment in his inaugural year, but you can also see how bummed out he remains by the way his team performed in the aftermath of clinching the SEC East.

"We did have an unbelievable year and I'm proud of our guys, but I'm very disappointed in how we finished," McElwain said. "When you haven't had a lot of success, one of the hardest things to do is not become satisfied when you reach a certain level. I feel that as an organization, we became too satisfied."

Of course, that euphoric feeling of satisfaction rapidly evaporated in the final three games of last season when Florida was pulverized by Florida State and Alabamabefore Michigan methodically dismantled the Gators 41-7 – the second-worst bowl loss in UF history.

The meeting of the Central Florida Gator Club was the first time UF fans have gathered en masse in Orlando since that dismal New Year's Day at the Citrus Bowl. The message McElwain wanted to portray Wednesday came straight from his list of 1970s pop hits: Cue up the Carpenters and "We've Only Just Begun."

The reason I believe McElwain's program will take huge step in Year 2 is because, quite frankly, it takes a while for great coaches to install their systems, build their cultures, weed out the bad apples and plant the seeds of success. McElwain's mentor and perhaps the greatest coach in college football history — Alabama's Nick Saban — went from mediocrity in Year 1 to a 12-0 regular season in Year 2 before losing to Meyer's Gators in the SEC Championship Game.

It's not just coincidence that McElwain joined Saban's staff as the offensive coordinator before that second season, became an integral part of Alabama's rebuild and helped lead the Crimson Tide to two national championships.

McElwain obviously knows how to coach offense and it seems unfathomable that he will ever again have an offense as inept as he had in his first season at UF. It really is remarkable the Gators won 10 games last season with an offense ranked 111th out of 128 FBS teams.

Starting quarterback Will Grier's season-ending suspension (and ultimate transfer) for PED use ruined last year's offense and left McElwain with a quarterback — Treon Harris — incapable of running his system. No matter who the Gators start this year — whether it's former Alabama and Oregon State QB Luke Del Rio, Purdue transfer Austin Appleby or one of the incoming freshman — the Gators will enjoy a significant upgrade at quarterback.

The big question remains — and McElwain still refuses to answer it– is whether explosive wide receiver Antonio Callaway will be back on the field this fall following a mysterious, months-long leave of absence from all team activities.

That is the singular dark cloud that still hangs over UF's program.

Otherwise, the Coach Mac Attack has the potential to give Gator Nation yet another ground-breaking, program-making Year 2 to remember."

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
"Could he conceivably and unbelievably take them back to the future, where the two greatest coaches in school history put their programs on the map in Year 2 of their tenures? Steve Spurrier won a school-first Southeastern Conference title in 1991 during his second year on the job. Urban Meyer won a national title in 2008 during Year 2 of his white-hot six-year run of dominance in Gainesville."

---

Let's be clear: Urban had a "white-hot" run for 4 years. Year 1 was good....years 2, 3, 4, and 5 were great.....and year 6 was a bust.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
"Could he conceivably and unbelievably take them back to the future, where the two greatest coaches in school history put their programs on the map in Year 2 of their tenures? Steve Spurrier won a school-first Southeastern Conference title in 1991 during his second year on the job. Urban Meyer won a national title in 2008 during Year 2 of his white-hot six-year run of dominance in Gainesville."

---

Let's be clear: Urban had a "white-hot" run for 4 years. Year 1 was good....years 2, 3, 4, and 5 were great.....and year 6 was a bust.

Year 2, was 2006.. some one didn't check their facts...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Year 2, was 2006.. some one didn't check their facts...

Yeah, what a 'tard! Meyer's year 2 was great also - the offense wasn't as exciting as it was full-time under Tebow...but the 2006 D was great.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Callaway returning is the pivotal question, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth after the bowl game beatdown. I wonder how much fight these players have in them.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'm not worried about the offense. I really do think it will be fine. It is the future I'm worried about. We need DTs and LBs something fierce.

DocZaius

Founding Member
Return to Monke
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
pumper-tee_copy__large.jpg

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not worried about the offense. I really do think it will be fine. It is the future I'm worried about. We need DTs and LBs something fierce.
Yeah, the way Mich manhandled them is scary for this season.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Yeah, the way Mich manhandled them is scary for this season.

Bowl games are a different animal because coaches prepare for them differently. Mac used the extra practices to get guys reps so they could get some experience for this coming season. The NFL guys in the secondary hardly even practiced according to Mac. Also, don't underestimate the morale of the team. I think a lot of guys started to check out since they knew they couldn't compete with Treon at QB.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bowl games are a different animal because coaches prepare for them differently. Mac used the extra practices to get guys reps so they could get some experience for this coming season. The NFL guys in the secondary hardly even practiced according to Mac. Also, don't underestimate the morale of the team. I think a lot of guys started to check out since they knew they couldn't compete with Treon at QB.

He gave the guys leaving early or graduating one or two weeks off. It was preparation for year 2 more than for the bowl game.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Callaway returning is the pivotal question, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth after the bowl game beatdown. I wonder how much fight these players have in them.

Bowl games are fickle, so I wouldn't read too much into that. Off the top of my head, I can think of several great UF teams that failed to show up or were demolished in bowl games. Games like the '91 and '94 Sugar Bowls are great examples. And 2 of our 3 NC's have come on the heels of an embarrassing bowl loss the previous year.

But more than anything else, I think you have to take the 2015 season and split it into 2 teams. And the deeper we got into "season 2" with Treon, you could see both sides starting to lose hope, with good reason. I think most of the team was just ready to be done with 2015 and look to the future. Obviously it's never ideal to see a team quit. But I think the circumstances of being a title contender one day, and hanging on to best Fau the next, not to mention all the drama and uncertainty that caused it, clearly took it's toll on the mental makeup of the players.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Yeah...and some of those NFL guys looked like they hadn't practiced... It was embarrassing. On one hand, I can appreciate building for the future. On the other hand, I hate to see the team give anything less than their absolute best.

I do think you are right about the morale of the team. The second half of the bowl game it looked like the defense was just going through the motions. There was no heart out there at all. I think knowing that no matter what they did, the offense was not going to help them to win the game just made the whole team feel helpless and hapless... Yet, another fantastic defense totally wasted because of a completely inept offense. What a waist. The fact the our D finished 3rd or 4th best in total defense in the SEC with an offense that spent 1/2 the season as bad or worse as it EVER was under muschamp is a testament to them. Just imagine if our O could have strung together a few first downs and scored a few points...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.