A unique approach to recruiting and coaching today

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
flag the thread as basketball.

most of us don't give a **** and don't want to waste our time on a basketball thread.
as usual you spout off and don't have a clue. It's about coaching and recruiting the current athletes and the impact of NIL. So if you don't want to try to learn something new don't waste my time responding Swampy

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was a fan of Penny since he was at Memphis St. He's going to have a lot of success there as a coach.

But yes, now that players can legally make money, good coaches and recruiters will have to recruit differently. Hopefully, our next coach will catch on and take advantage.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is about Memphis coach Penny Hardaway who as a player was introspective beyond his peers. I thought you folks might enjoy something positive going on somewhere. LOL

Emoni Bates, Jalen Duren and Penny Hardaway's Memphis evolution - Sports Illustrated

College basketball is completing different from college football and therefore recruiting is much different.
Even though Donk likes to pounce on anyone that accuses others of cheating in football, the reality in college basketball is that the blue blood programs are the biggest cheaters and even when caught red handed no meaningful punishment is ever received.
In the last five years alone we have seen indisputable evidence of cheating by:
North Carolina
Kansas
Michigan State

Not to mention the blue blood wannabes like LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma State. Not surprisingly the only program to receive any punishment at all is Oklahoma State which is the weakest program on the list. The NCAA is notorious for ignoring the real problem.

My point is that anyone that follows the sport closely has no option but to assume that there is more to Hardaway’s recruiting strategy than what is shared.

Besides, also unlike football, having the best talent does not assure you of anything.
Case in point is UF. If Dan Mullen recruited anywhere near the level of Mike White we wouldn’t be looking to fire him. Mike White proves my point each season.

But I forgot that nobody cares about basketball so I will stop now.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Penny’s approach is a lot different than what Pete Bell used to get him, Neon Bordeaux, and Ricky Roe to commit to Western.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018

most of us don't give a **** and don't want to waste our time on a basketball thread.
The Fuchstardation of this post is the implication that being on a football thread, or any other message board thread, is a productive use of time.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
It turns out that a unique approach at Florida would be for the position coaches, like Billy Gonzalez, to recruit players who play the position they coach. Revolutionary concept!

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
While some are sitting idle and going nowhere, Hardaway sees this as the path to success.

You have to respect that.
The whole concept that the "power" actually resides with the players instead of the coaches and the school's brand is very forward looking and he may be on to something. It's worth following for a couple of years and seeing how it plays out for his program. I definitely respect him being at the forefront and not just doing what's always been done and peddling faster.

As other have pointed out basketball is different than football, baseball and other sports yet that wasn't the purpose of sharing this information. Adjusting on the fly and having the courage to get outside the proverbial box is really important as thing change. I'm convinced we do not have a path to success for the football program with Mullen at the helm. He is just too dogmatic and stubborn to change.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The whole concept that the "power" actually resides with the players instead of the coaches and the school's brand is very forward looking and he may be on to something. It's worth following for a couple of years and seeing how it plays out for his program. I definitely respect him being at the forefront and not just doing what's always been done and peddling faster.

As other have pointed out basketball is different than football, baseball and other sports yet that wasn't the purpose of sharing this information. Adjusting on the fly and having the courage to get outside the proverbial box is really important as thing change. I'm convinced we do not have a path to success for the football program with Mullen at the helm. He is just too dogmatic and stubborn to change.

Yeah but times have changed. You can’t just offer a kid some sneakers, glasses, a hat and maybe a lightweight jacket any more. Today there has to be a bag, maybe a blue one, and at some point they’re going to want to know what’s in it. Otherwise we’ll never be able to move forward.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah but times have changed. You can’t just offer a kid some sneakers, glasses, a hat and maybe a lightweight jacket any more. Today there has to be a bag, maybe a blue one, and at some point they’re going to want to know what’s in it. Otherwise we’ll never be able to move forward.
Isn't that the point of the post. Bags aren't necessary. Everybody now has legal "bags". Next step in getting the players to come is the best way to get to the NFL, coaches who can refine their skills. If you've seen any at Florida who fit that category let me know. Lot's of whispering going on. Apparently nobody can hear it.

Last edited:

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

snickers-gif.gif

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Isn't that the point of the post. Bags aren't necessary. Everybody now has legal "bags". Next step in getting the players to come is the best way to get to the NFL, coaches who can refine their skills. If you've seen any at Florida who fit that category let me know. Lot's of whispering going on. Apparently nobody can hear it.

My whole post was describing the guy sitting on the bench in Joe’s avatar. Blue bag?

I’ve never been more disappointed in this board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.