A walk down University Ave circa 1992

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I worked at OIR Office of Instructional Resources. First behind Lib East and then in Turlington or GPA when they first opened it.
We made student IDs and ran projectors in Carlton and delivered all the AV equipment NOBODY uses any more.
Overhead Proj. Movie Proj. and Slide Proj.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I worked at OIR Office of Instructional Resources. First behind Lib East and then in Turlington or GPA when they first opened it.
We made student IDs and ran projectors in Carlton and delivered all the AV equipment NOBODY uses any more.
Overhead Proj. Movie Proj. and Slide Proj.

I worked for the Dept of Radiation Control while in school. If you owned a radiation meter for your lab on campus, you had to have it calibrated once a year. I was a tech who got to drive a UF van around, pick up the meters, calibrate them, then drop them back off. Freaking great student job that granted me access into some really creepy places. Top floor of the phyc building which was very restricted (still have vivid memories of seeing the hundreds of rats being drained of their blood), basement of the museum where they were researching ghost hunting, some really crazy labs in the hospital that were straight out of a horror film, the roof of nearly every building on campus (including the odome and stadium) where we had neutron meters hidden because of the nuclear reactor. Not as entertaining as working at Joe’s Deli... but there are some crazy secret areas on campus.

Buckman2000

Oct 1, 2016
Denslow taught macro, but who was the chubby dude that taught Micro?

Did you take business law with the dude who always wore costumes and acted zany?
Yeah Prof Rush, I believe taught micro. Emerson wore those wacky ass outfits in business law. I personally hated the class, I got a B by some miracle in it. It taught me never pursue a career in law, EVER. The memories of watching a weeks worth of lectures on Sundays. I think I did that for all my business tv replay classes. Beats waking up before noon to go to a live lecture.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah Prof Rush, I believe taught micro. Emerson wore those wacky ass outfits in business law. I personally hated the class, I got a B by some miracle in it. It taught me never pursue a career in law, EVER. The memories of watching a weeks worth of lectures on Sundays. I think I did that for all my business tv replay classes. Beats waking up before noon to go to a live lecture.

I thought that class was pretty fun. That final exam that was all open book where we were going through like 10 Different books/packets was actually fun IMO.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My old Fraternity house was still standing in that video. It's the one behind the gas station and Leonardo's on 13th. Loved that location. We made a deal with the Leonardo's guys that they could come drink beer at our parties if they would leave left over pizza on our back door. I can't begin to tell you how exciting it was to come home at 2 AM after a hard night of drinking to find a huge bag of Leo's pizza waiting for you.

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My old Fraternity house was still standing in that video. It's the one behind the gas station and Leonardo's on 13th. Loved that location. We made a deal with the Leonardo's guys that they could come drink beer at our parties if they would leave left over pizza on our back door. I can't begin to tell you how exciting it was to come home at 2 AM after a hard night of drinking to find a huge bag of Leo's pizza waiting for you.

Phi Delt?

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
100% concur of Farrah’s wings. Big and rendolent of butter. Best wings in town and still among the best wings ever. I had two DPhiE roommates that waitressed there when I started law school.

After graduating, our Homecoming tradition for years was to get to Farrah’s early, get wings, and watch the parade go by.

Alex.

Tradition was cigars walking out of the last final for the semester, then head to Farrah’s for wings and beer. Maybe they tasted so good because they were victory wings.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
So many memories in this thread, thanks for posting.
I revisited Gainesville in 2017--haven't been there in more than 20 years.
It's like a different world. It seemed to be thriving and beautiful, but all those hangouts were gone.
A different time I guess.
I wonder how much the new generation will embrace tradition.
It would suck if all is erased.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I worked for the Dept of Radiation Control while in school. If you owned a radiation meter for your lab on campus, you had to have it calibrated once a year. I was a tech who got to drive a UF van around, pick up the meters, calibrate them, then drop them back off. Freaking great student job that granted me access into some really creepy places. Top floor of the phyc building which was very restricted (still have vivid memories of seeing the hundreds of rats being drained of their blood), basement of the museum where they were researching ghost hunting, some really crazy labs in the hospital that were straight out of a horror film, the roof of nearly every building on campus (including the odome and stadium) where we had neutron meters hidden because of the nuclear reactor. Not as entertaining as working at Joe’s Deli... but there are some crazy secret areas on campus.
Creepiest places I ever hit was going down the stairs in the Psych bldg and you could smell all those animals they experimented (tortured) down there. Down in the basement of the hospital in the cadaver lab for anatomy class. Saw a gator HB have to leave cause it upset him so bad. And did make the roof of the odome when it was inflated. My buddy worked on it and had a key.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I was a lifeguard at Lake Wauburg from 1993-1995. Had some great times out there. We would take the ski boat out at night and....lots of shenanigan's!

Great video's, great Tom Petty vids! Thanks for posting.....

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Caribbean Spice, cheapest lunch special in town. Meat pie, bread, carrot cake, and a soda for $2.25.
The head shop just down the Ave from the Spice; can’t remember the name. :bandit:

I lived at Caribbean Spice. Beef and cheese patties, carrot cake, and the poster of the super hot girl on the wall overlooking the cash register.

Oh yeah.

And what was the name of the old record store down from leo’s?

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
I worked at the Phillips center for performing arts on the stage crew. We would finish load out after shows between two and four in the morning and then head over to skeeter’s for some serious eating.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I was there from 88 to 93. Don't remember as much as I would like. Central City and their hot bods contest on Thursdays was a staple. As was Dubs when my roommate was bouncing and would let me in. I ate at Joe's weekly and saw the running man daily. Also loved Skeeters and that bar at the oaks mall right across from the movie theater. Don't remember it's name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.