Aaron Hernandez found GUILTY

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't the incident in Gainesville dropped because the witness recanted their statement? We could speculate a million ways as to how that happened, but given the GPD arrests guys for throwing sandwiches, I have a hard time believing they would intentionally let an attempted murder slip through the cracks, especially for a kid who hadn't played a snap for UF yet.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n210315 said:
Wasn't the incident in Gainesville dropped because the witness recanted their statement? We could speculate a million ways as to how that happened, but given the GPD arrests guys for throwing sandwiches, I have a hard time believing they would intentionally let an attempted murder slip through the cracks, especially for a kid who hadn't played a snap for UF yet.

Yep. The witness recanted. All parties I know of say he was paid off. There was also a second gang related shooting (resulting in death) that could never be directly linked to AH.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n210319 said:
Yep. The witness recanted. All parties I know of say he was paid off. There was also a second gang related shooting (resulting in death) that could never be directly linked to AH.

The Meyer Way. He learned well from Lou Holtz.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There's no way that any crimes are going to be linked back to Hernandez. In Gainesville. However, I'm glad that we got rid of that festering pile of corruption, entitlement, and crime under Urban Meyer.

It just sucks that Urban's terrible last year coincided with a 4 year stint with the worst head coach in the history of gator football.

I don't know if Mac is the answer but I do believe that he will be significantly better.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n210315 said:

Exactly. It wasn't as if we were unwilling to let GPD and the press give us a black eye over the dozens of arrests during that span. We were raked over the coals on a weekly basis for that period. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I think many here are allowing their disdain for Meyer to sway their opinion on this. If we really break it down, what we're implying is that Meyer, Foley and other very successful people put their reputation, livelihood, and freedom(they'd be in jail for this) on the line, so that they could keep a TE on the team, who--as you pointed out--hadn't taken a snap at the time and was a backup to Ingram. Really let that sink in.

I'm also not sure how this would reflect on Tebow given his relationship with AH. Something tells me he'd have a hard time playing with him, let alone rooming with him.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n210578 said:
Exactly. It wasn't as if we were unwilling to let GPD and the press give us a black eye over the dozens of arrests during that span. We were raked over the coals on a weekly basis for that period. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I think many here are allowing their disdain for Meyer to sway their opinion on this. If we really break it down, what we're implying is that Meyer, Foley and other very successful people put their reputation, livelihood, and freedom(they'd be in jail for this) on the line, so that they could keep a TE on the team, who--as you pointed out--hadn't taken a snap at the time and was a backup to Ingram. Really let that sink in.

I'm also not sure how this would reflect on Tebow given his relationship with AH. Something tells me he'd have a hard time playing with him, let alone rooming with him.

Why do you think AH came to Florida? Why do you think Tebow was made to room with AH?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
ufgator812;n210600 said:
Why do you think AH came to Florida? Why do you think Tebow was made to room with AH?

No I get that. I'm not denying that he was a known problem kid from day 1. But he was also highly recruited by other big names and anyone would've taken him. So yes, Meyer is probably guilty of looking at talent over character. But I don't think he'd risk going to prison himself just to cover up a murder of his freshman, back-up TE.

Again, it just doesn't make sense that he'd do that, but allow GPD to alter our entire gameplan in Atl with the Dunlap DUI.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n210619 said:
No I get that. I'm not denying that he was a known problem kid from day 1. But he was also highly recruited by other big names and anyone would've taken him. So yes, Meyer is probably guilty of looking at talent over character. But I don't think he'd risk going to prison himself just to cover up a murder of his freshman, back-up TE.

Again, it just doesn't make sense that he'd do that, but allow GPD to alter our entire gameplan in Atl with the Dunlap DUI.

I'm fairly certain Meyer knew he ran with a gang in HS, but probably didn't know how deep it ran. Billy Gonzalez, however, was more heavily involved. It cost him his job.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
ufgator812;n210627 said:
I'm fairly certain Meyer knew he ran with a gang in HS, but probably didn't know how deep it ran. Billy Gonzalez, however, was more heavily involved. It cost him his job.

None of what you just posted would surprise me. It's no secret that we were taking some character risks. Harvin was one as well. That said, I think most coaches would've done the same--roll the dice and hope that you can keep them in line, and away from that old life, for 3-4 years. But if there was sufficient evidence that he was a shooter in any of those incidents, I can't see GPD just looking the other way for a PR thug from Connecticut. Again, no debate that he was probably the guy. And if you told me that AH or some of his "friends" back home had a hand in the witness recanting his story, then I'd buy that as well. I just don't see UF or the coaches knowingly letting a murder slide.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n210654 said:
None of what you just posted would surprise me. It's no secret that we were taking some character risks. Harvin was one as well. That said, I think most coaches would've done the same--roll the dice and hope that you can keep them in line, and away from that old life, for 3-4 years. But if there was sufficient evidence that he was a shooter in any of those incidents, I can't see GPD just looking the other way for a PR thug from Connecticut. Again, no debate that he was probably the guy. And if you told me that AH or some of his "friends" back home had a hand in the witness recanting his story, then I'd buy that as well. I just don't see UF or the coaches knowingly letting a murder slide.

Agreed. My point is AH has been a gang-banging thug from way back.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
ufgator812;n210657 said:
Agreed. My point is AH has been a gang-banging thug from way back.

No question. It's amazing that someone could escape that, be given the world, and knowingly choose to go back to that stupidity. But I'll go back to my original statement in this thread that until we stop glorifying it, kids are going to continue to follow that path.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n210654 said:

I agree for the most part. Did UF and Meyer "KNOW" know? I don't think so. But I am sure they didn't delve too deeply into trying to find out either. The way I've read it is that Meyer asked an assistant coach (Gonzalez?) what happened and was basically told that, "The boys were around a shooting but cleared of any involvement." Meyer admits he didn't question the players. Didn't call them to the carpet individually to see if the stories matched up. Didn't even pay any more attention to it after that conversation with the asst. coach. Why? Because Meyer is an enabler who doesn't want to know what he doesn't want to know. Remember, Hernandez was supposedly "like Meyer's son". He was always over the house, babysat the kids, went to church with the family. Yet Meyer didn't even question him about a f**king shooting where the first eyewitness account matched Hernandez to a "T"? Didn't ask him why he wouldn't cooperate with the cops if he wasn't involved or had anything to hide? And Meyer was familiar with Hernandez's past and his history of sucker punching that bouncer. Meyer isn't stupid. I think he had an inkling that something happened. He just decided to maintain a position of deniability. I think what he may have suspected ate at him. Literally. I mean, we know that "more time with the family" was a crock of crap.

When it came to player discipline Meyer's stance was pretty much....:lalala:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n210685 said:
I agree for the most part. Did UF and Meyer "KNOW" know? I don't think so. But I am sure they didn't delve too deeply into trying to find out either. The way I've read it is that Meyer asked an assistant coach (Gonzalez?) what happened and was basically told that, "The boys were around a shooting but cleared of any involvement." Meyer admits he didn't question the players. Didn't call them to the carpet individually to see if the stories matched up. Didn't even pay any more attention to it after that conversation with the asst. coach. Why? Because Meyer is an enabler who doesn't want to know what he doesn't want to know. Remember, Hernandez was supposedly "like Meyer's son". He was always over the house, babysat the kids, went to church with the family. Yet Meyer didn't even question him about a f**king shooting where the first eyewitness account matched Hernandez to a "T"? Didn't ask him why he wouldn't cooperate with the cops if he wasn't involved or had anything to hide? And Meyer was familiar with Hernandez's past and his history of sucker punching that bouncer. Meyer isn't stupid. I think he had an inkling that something happened. He just decided to maintain a position of deniability. I think what he may have suspected ate at him. Literally. I mean, we know that "more time with the family" was a crock of crap.

When it came to player discipline Meyer's stance was pretty much....:lalala:
It's pretty amazing that a coach that never disciplines his players can have three National Championships. I don't think there's a single coach in the NCAA who would have done anything different than Meyer did in this situation, including Steve Spurrier or Nick Saban or Jim McElwain. I think all coaches try and maintain a position of deniability, especially with elite players. It's all about winning with every damn one of them.

Once you accept the ruthlessness of the job and that all coaches are the same it's easier to deal with.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Spurdog not ask? Mmmm...not too sure on that one. He's gotta a pretty big ego and just don't see SOS doing the don't ask, don't tell routine. Saban and Meyer seem like they want to be insulated. No idea on JMAC.

Ox, I know you are a big Meyer fan but it doesn't look good. He's a winner...no doubt at all. And to be honest I think every coach will take on a talented stud with red flags....Meyer seems like he took a whole lot though. That's was killed the foundation here and drove him off. Makes more sense then Saban running hm off. He over-recruited bad seeds and we all saw the result. It doesn't make Meyer the devil(well maybe a little).

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Guys, come on...don't you remember! Meyer only recruited the "top 1% of 1%".

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n210697 said:
It's pretty amazing that a coach that never disciplines his players can have three National Championships. I don't think there's a single coach in the NCAA who would have done anything different than Meyer did in this situation, including Steve Spurrier or Nick Saban or Jim McElwain. I think all coaches try and maintain a position of deniability, especially with elite players. It's all about winning with every damn one of them.

Once you accept the ruthlessness of the job and that all coaches are the same it's easier to deal with.

********. A guy was shot in the f**king head. Spurrier wouldn't turn his back. Neither would any coach who is a decent human who hasn't let football warp his sense of right and wrong.

And as far as it being amazing that he won without discipline, have you ever heard of the University of Miami? Or how about your recent post on Lawrence Phillips and Tom Osbourne?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n210804 said:
********. A guy was shot in the f**king head. Spurrier wouldn't turn his back. Neither would any coach who is a decent human who hasn't let football warp his sense of right and wrong.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I can't think of a single coach who values "right and wrong" over winning. It's just that kind of profession.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n210712 said:
He over-recruited bad seeds
He recruited the same players everybody else did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator