stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
napoleon dynamite happy dance GIF

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
You know, the Alaska idea isn't bad. The schools there generally suck out loud, but there are professionals that need tutors for their kids.

The cost of living sucks, though. And that day/night thing might be difficult.

My son and his family live there and love it.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I hacked Coach's private advice to Born (Coach's password was "gogators" :rolleyes3: ).

Coach wrote: "as long as you have a warm butthole, you'll always have a way to make a buck"

My advice? Get into college coaching. Con your way into a job, then fail miserably, get fired, and collect millions. Nick Saban is an idiot for winning and working all those years. If he had gone 0-10-1 instead, he could have been collecting those fat paychecks while sitting on a beach sipping margaritas instead of chasing barely literate16 years olds for a commitment and begging the people who call Paul Finebaum for NIL money.

Personally, if I had to do it all over again:

1. If you want to be your own boss-- Get into some aspect of construction. Electrical, plumbing, roofs, making curbs or sidewalks, whatever is best suited for you mentally. If you become a lawyer or a dentist, all your competitors got A's in school, they're all smart. The folks in the trades tend to be lesser competition. Some are really sharp, but many aren't and just got rich by being able to speak English, have a license, and do average to below-average work. These guys buy giant trucks (motorcycles, boats, etc.), date strippers, and do lots of coke. They aren't super-skilled at contract review/drafting, budgeting, doing proposals, hiring/firing, quality control, etc. They often flame out because they made a lot of money and that led to too much drinking and drugs with too many skanks. If you can provide a good service, pass inspection, have crews that show up on time and do the work, the world can be your oyster. First step is to break into the field to learn the skills (which you could do over the course of a summer when you're not teaching). Then you get the necessary license, put together the crew (I strongly suggest you become fluent in Spanish--borrow Rosetta Stone from your library or do duolingo on your phone or something), then grow your business. So long as you don't fall victim to adopting the lifestyle of your competitors and flame out, you should be making money hand over fist pretty quickly. I'm mentoring my nephew down this career path right now. He started roofing (terrible people), then took a good-paying job with a prestigious homebuilder as an inspector (the guy who speaks English and showers/shaves every once in a while and who interacts with the home purchasers about the on-going construction and deals with the trade groups doing the construction). He's left for a better-paying job as a supervisor (orders building materials on a schedule so they get delivered when needed to keep construction moving, deals with the trade groups during constructions) with a company that does commercial construction. Right now he's working on some 4 story apartment buildings. That company will pay for him to get licenses, certificates, and accreditations and he's building up a savings to go out on his own when the time is right. If you don't like dealing with the kind of folks who work in construction, another option is to create a job for yourself. Find something people don't like doing for themselves. I'll givee you an example...baby boomers are getting old and dying off. Their millennial kids want the inheritance but not the hassle. Offer a service of going into the deceased home (or maybe not deceased but being moved to a facility) and emptying it out for them. Sell what can be sold, give the rest to goodwill for the tax write-off, identify the family treasurers (photos primarily) take them out of their frames, scan or preserve them, return them to the family. The heirs have full-time jobs. They can only meet movers at granny's house on Saturday or Sunday, they don't have a relationship with the moving company. You have those relationships. You have a cleaning company you use that you get a bulk rate (or a kickback if the heirs hire the company instead of going through you), you hire kids on fiverr to scan the photos, you buy the paper to put between the photos to prevent them from sticking to each other in bulk, you have a relationship with people who will sell china, crystal, and silverware on e-bay or second-hand stores. If you do a good job, soon enough you'll have your own truck, your own cleaning crew, etc. Anything people don't like doing themselves can be a lucrative career.

2. If you don't mind working for others-- These jobs tend to not be as stressful 24/7 because once you clock off, you're done. It's not like being an attorney where you miss something in discovery and 2 years later it costs you a trial or if you're an architect and if you have a bad day today, that means you have to work twice as hard tomorrow to catch up because the project still has to be done by Friday. The top end isn't as high as being self-employed, but you can make a very good living and have a great lifestyle. Some ideas include airline pilot (the need is huge), long-distance truck driver (huge need, used to be more independents but not so common anymore), maybe a train conductor (AmTrak has the added benefit of being a government job which is great but unless you're a Black woman, you might have to put on lipstick and call yourself "nonbinary" to get the job).

Alex.
@Born2beagator there’s some good advice here, but there is one thing I can improve on. Alex is quite correct that speaking the old espanol is critical in the construction trades, but rather than Rosetta Stone or duolingo, a far more effective (and potentially fun) way to learn Spanish is to get yourself what we used to refer to as a “long-haired dictionary.” This method does come with a certain amount of drama, but who knows, you might find that entertaining. (Should you consider going down this path, @soflagator can probably give you a few pointers.)

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
@Born2beagator there’s some good advice here, but there is one thing I can improve on. Alex is quite correct that speaking the old espanol is critical in the construction trades, but rather than Rosetta Stone or duolingo, a far more effective (and potentially fun) way to learn Spanish is to get yourself what we used to refer to as a “long-haired dictionary.” This method does come with a certain amount of drama, but who knows, you might find that entertaining. (Should you consider going down this path, @soflagator can probably give you a few pointers.)

You trying to get him stabbed or something?

What did he ever do to you?

:lol2:

We hired a young lady where I work, an asylum seeker from Venezuela (who had a work permit, ease up fellas), probably in her early 20's. She was beautiful. Not cute or pretty like lots of girls, but BEAUTIFUL like Miss Venezuela and that's no exaggeration (except maybe for her height, she was normal height and I think pageant queens tend to be a little taller). She was prettier than most Miss InsertCountryNameHere I've seen. Long, straight coal black hair, toned legs, world class ass, belly you could bounce a quarter off of, gorgeous smile (with little smile dimples), black eyes that would make bambi jealous. Perfect features. To make things worse, she was super sweet, kind, and friendly. If I was 20 years younger and single, right? Tragically, she moved on from working here, but she left an indelible impression. That's it. That's the post.

Alex.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

Alex.
In the interest of full disclosure, my suggestion for Born was probably a bit self serving as it would be a lot of fun for me to watch him navigate those treacherous waters. It could work out for him tho. Maybe.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
You know, the Alaska idea isn't bad. The schools there generally suck out loud, but there are professionals that need tutors for their kids.

The cost of living sucks, though. And that day/night thing might be difficult.

My son and his family live there and love it.
Alaska would be too much of a culture shock for me

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Alaska would be too much of a culture shock for me
Kodiak, Alaska probably wouldn't be that much of a culture shock. The temps there are much more moderate than in the mainland too. The people are very kind and welcoming too.

Take a trip up there for a couple of weeks to get a look around. If you like to hunt and fish then it would be a great place to live. The largest U.S. Coast Guard station is located there so you would still have the exposure of kids from all over the U.S. probably.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
To get this back on topic - there are plenty of rural communities in the midwest that do a good job of taking care of teachers. If the pay isn't better, the cost of living is and they have cheap land/homes for sale.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018

:lol2:

We hired a young lady where I work, an asylum seeker from Venezuela (who had a work permit, ease up fellas), probably in her early 20's. She was beautiful. Not cute or pretty like lots of girls, but BEAUTIFUL like Miss Venezuela and that's no exaggeration (except maybe for her height, she was normal height and I think pageant queens tend to be a little taller). She was prettier than most Miss InsertCountryNameHere I've seen. Long, straight coal black hair, toned legs, world class ass, belly you could bounce a quarter off of, gorgeous smile (with little smile dimples), black eyes that would make bambi jealous. Perfect features. To make things worse, she was super sweet, kind, and friendly. If I was 20 years younger and single, right? Tragically, she moved on from working here, but she left an indelible impression. That's it. That's the post.

Alex.
After reading this post, I totally forgot what this thread is about.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
:scratchhead: If only there were a job where he could get paid to get laid? :whistle:

I'm not sure if there's a market for dudes who are 1 or 2 inches away from being referred to as a dwarf (by legal definition, of course). Urg & Born may be able to start some short-man fetish website, I suppose, but again I'm not sure if there's much of a market for that.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure if there's a market for dudes who are 1 or 2 inches away from being referred to as a dwarf (by legal definition, of course). Urg & Born may be able to start some short-man fetish website, I suppose, but again I'm not sure if there's much of a market for that.
The hell there isn't. I don't even want to tell you how much money we make from your wife

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The hell there isn't. I don't even want to tell you how much money we make from your wife

I guess some woman do have a thing for men who are borderline legal definition dwarves. (and glad you see you're finally admitting it! lol)

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I guess some woman do have a thing for men who are borderline legal definition dwarves. (and glad you see you're finally admitting it! lol)
admit what? I'm 6'3". Born is the midget. I just run the site :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator