Age for Sexual Consent

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was just wondering what some of you might think is the right age to be able to legally decide if you want to have sex with another person?

In 34 States, the age of Consent is 16, the other 16 States are 17/18. Florida is in the 18 group of States.

To give a little background. My oldest Daughter, who lives in Georgia, just found out that her 16 year old Daughter is having sex with her gymnastics coach, who is 35. My daughter called the Police to report it as Rape, only to find out that in Georgia the Consent age is 16 and my Grand-Daughter says she consented and loves him. The police say there is nothing they can do because the sex started after she was 16........ That seems wrong to me but I'm old.....

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was just wondering what some of you might think is the right age to be able to legally decide if you want to have sex with another person?

In 34 States, the age of Consent is 16, the other 16 States are 17/18. Florida is in the 18 group of States.

To give a little background. My oldest Daughter, who lives in Georgia, just found out that her 16 year old Daughter is having sex with her gymnastics coach, who is 35. My daughter called the Police to report it as Rape, only to find out that in Georgia the Consent age is 16 and my Grand-Daughter says she consented and loves him. The police say there is nothing they can do because the sex started after she was 16........ That seems wrong to me but I'm old.....
It’s wrong regardless of legal age of consent. The 16 should be for 18 and under.

Seedy

Totally not CDGator
Oct 17, 2020
I’d go after his career. Sure it may classify as consensual, but I would draw a sharp contrast 16 and 16-19, versus 16 and 25+.

No doubt all the other parents who entrust their daughters to his care will see a difference too.

My$0.02, which doesn’t account for many variables.

Last edited:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I agree with Seedy here. Go after him on social media, taunt him at meets, etc. Grand daughter will freak out, but she isn't, frankly, old enough to make such a decision (regardless of the law) and will likely thank you in the long run.

Or just take him on a fishing trip in a swamp.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I’d go after his career. Sure it may classify as consensual, but I would draw a sharp contrast 16 and 16-19, versus 16 and 25+.

No doubt all the other parents who intrust their daughters to his care will see a difference too.

My$0.02, which doesn’t account for many variables.
and you'd get sued for those $0.02

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
And what would be the cause of action, counselor? Telling the truth that embarrasses a pervert who took advantage of a teenager from a position of trust?
I'm saying that before talking, let alone posting, anything about the (unfortunately) completely legal situation publicly, I'd make sure a lawyer checked it over first, cuz you could end up getting your ass sued off by said dirt bag.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I'm saying that before talking, let alone posting, anything about the (unfortunately) completely legal situation publicly, I'd make sure a lawyer checked it over first, cuz you could end up getting your ass sued off by said dirt bag.
Not only do I disagree, professionally, but it would be the simplist defense ever...the truth is an absolute defense to defamation claims.

Also, if this coach is part of USAG, I would start there. They are sure gun shy now about this kind of abuse of trust by male coaches.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Not only do I disagree, professionally, but it would be the simplist defense ever...the truth is an absolute defense to defamation claims.

Also, if this coach is part of USAG, I would start there. They are sure gun shy now about this kind of abuse of trust by male coaches.
I don't disagree with you, but I am saying that you had better be very careful how you tell the truth.

Seedy

Totally not CDGator
Oct 17, 2020
and you'd get sued for those $0.02

I’m just saying what I would do. What contracts has he signed? Any one have a clause preventing fraternization with the gymnasts? Seems like it would be on par with a manager having relations with a direct report.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Not trying to get the last word on the litigation issue, but I would relish the discovery if I was sued for calling this groomer out. Did the coach/player relationship start only after she was 16? What about the actual timing of the sexual relationship? How sure are they about when it started relative to her 16th birthday? Bet there would be some stuff on this guy's phone (and, unfortunately, hers) that could not only prove the truth of the publicity but also make the issue criminal.

Sorry to drag it on...but this hits a strong, personal cord for me.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Not trying to get the last word on the litigation issue, but I would relish the discovery if I was sued for calling this groomer out. Did the coach/player relationship start only after she was 16? What about the actual timing of the sexual relationship? How sure are they about when it started relative to her 16th birthday? Bet there would be some stuff on this guy's phone (and, unfortunately, hers) that could not only prove the truth of the publicity but also make the issue criminal.
I bet she’s not the first either.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I’m just saying what I would do. What contracts has he signed? Any one have a clause preventing fraternization with the gymnasts? Seems like it would be on par with a manager having relations with a direct report.
This is why I would hire a good lawyer and ask, "What can/can't we do to ruing this guys f'n life?"

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I would say 16 is fair until you find out that a 35 year old coach preys on them. Makes me want to say 18 but then I remember my youth and there’s no fuching way I could’ve waited that long.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018

So what time we rolling??

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I whole heartedly agree with Seedy and Altitude but Detroit has a point. Cover all bases so you don't make a horrible situation worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.