Age or apathy?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Didn’t want to post this in the main forum for fear of the replies and resulting mind camp sentences from Ox, so I’m posting here.
I find myself caring less and less about our football and hoops woes. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see us return to championship levels but I just don’t get worked up about how far we’ve fallen anymore. It’s just like “whatever” at this point. Is it because I’ve become apathetic because we’ve been sh*tty for so long? Or is it because I now enjoy watching my son play ball much more than anything else and have gotten older and less emotional about things?
Anyone else feel similar?

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
My kids are grown and out of the house so, I can't fall back on that part.
I think it all ended for me with the LSU loss because of the shoe toss, then the excuses and making that dumb shiit team captain the next week.
I started to unravel with the blowout loss to Oklahoma, then Mullens last season with the blowout loss to South Carolina, which resulted in holes in my drywall.

I've snapped back to reality. I realize now, the 80's weren't as bad as I thought they were when I lived through Galen Hall to Gary Darnell and finally Spurrier in 1990.
I see now that the best years of Gator football are long gone. We haven't been relevant since 2010. I also see the administration and leadership at the University, don't really seem to care. Not only about football, but Basketball, Baseball, Womens Basketball, etc....

I'm one of those rabid fans that have been asked to sit down in the Gator sections at the FL/Ga game.
I've been asked to yell "quieter" in the alumni section at Florida Field.
My dog hides during Gator games at my house. My neighbors can hear me yelling a half block away.

Well, That's how I was, anyway.

Now, I go to a game expecting to lose, expecting to look at a poorly coached team, expecting nothing more than to be chastised by Vanderbilt and Kentucky fans.

I don't really give a shiit anymore.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Losing is one thing. Being a non competitive dumpster fire is another. Topped off by a smiling dork from Starkville and basket of *******s that he calls competent coaches.

I missed my first Gator game in Columbia since 1993 two years ago. Free tickets and tailgate. Stayed home and glad I did. Had free 5th row from the floor tix in Charlotte back in December to see UF get rocked by OU. Didn’t go. Loser coach hire, again.

I’ll be in Columbia in October since Billy hasn’t quit yet unlike Dip**** Dan who had mailed it in by the time they last visited.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Didn’t want to post this in the main forum for fear of the replies and resulting mind camp sentences from Ox, so I’m posting here.
I find myself caring less and less about our football and hoops woes. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see us return to championship levels but I just don’t get worked up about how far we’ve fallen anymore. It’s just like “whatever” at this point. Is it because I’ve become apathetic because we’ve been sh*tty for so long? Or is it because I now enjoy watching my son play ball much more than anything else and have gotten older and less emotional about things?
Before I even read this sentence, I was already formulating my response along the lines of, "If you have kids, and you are REALLY into spending time with/raising your kids, it's that.

On the flip side is my sister, who has no kids... the schit she "worries"/goes apoplectic/cares about blows my mind and my wife and I agree, "This is what happens when you don't have kids, you worry about stupid schit."

That said, and perhaps some of you have noticed, but on game day, I'm ALLLLLL IN! I just don't worry so much about the team other than on game day. :lol:

PS I've always been a firm believer of this cliche quote: "Don't sweat the small stuff... and it's ALL small stuff."

Last edited:

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Before I even read this sentence, I was already formulating my response along the lines of, "If you have kids, and you are REALLY into spending time with/raising your kids, it's that.

On the flip side is my sister, who has no kids... the schit she "worries"/goes apoplectic/cares about blows my mind and my wife and I agree, "This is what happens when you don't have kids, you worry about stupid schit."

That said, and perhaps some of you have noticed, but on game day, I'm ALLLLLL IN! :lol:
Yep!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

That said, and perhaps some of you have noticed, but on game day, I'm ALLLLLL IN! I just don't worry so much about the team other than on game day. :lol:

PS I've always been a firm believer of this cliche quote: "Don't sweat the small stuff... and it's ALL small stuff."
Yeah, I think it’s that since becoming a father has made me realize everything else is just an expensive lesson in cheap entertainment.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Age brings perspective. Prior to that we're still reveling in the Spurrier 90's when we could drink all day, scream at the top of our lungs in the student section, and enjoy the hell out of beating e'rebody.

Later, you realize there are too many things in life you can't control, no matter how much you drink, nor how loud you yell, or how emotional you get. A bad team is going to be a bad team (coach, players, whatever the root cause is). Despite superstitions and wearing the right gear, saying the right prayers....bad teams going to be bad. It's when you grasp the truth behind 'Grant me the strength to face the things I can change, and the serenity to accept that which I cannot change' (paraphrased, of course), that peace returns to your life.

IF there are kids in the equation, they typically come with age and help ferment that perspective. You watch them lose their mind over the stupidest sht and want to say 'hey, wait until something really bad happens to you', because you've been there and done that and moved on (hopefully). Kids CAN give you some positive, alternative things to really care about. Like, how they grow up and what kind of person they will be = these are things you can actually have an active hand in. UF coaches calling timeouts at the end of a half? Players running the wrong play? Pfffttt....not my problem, I can't do anything about it but choose to spend my time less stressfully, more productively, in a more rewarding fashion.

I'd still enjoy the hell out of winning some games. Yeah, that'd be nice. But idgaf anymore about UF sports. I got more important things in my life at this point, and the perspective to know what's important and what isn't.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Age brings perspective. Prior to that we're still reveling in the Spurrier 90's when we could drink all day, scream at the top of our lungs in the student section, and enjoy the hell out of beating e'rebody.

Later, you realize there are too many things in life you can't control, no matter how much you drink, nor how loud you yell, or how emotional you get. A bad team is going to be a bad team (coach, players, whatever the root cause is). Despite superstitions and wearing the right gear, saying the right prayers....bad teams going to be bad. It's when you grasp the truth behind 'Grant me the strength to face the things I can change, and the serenity to accept that which I cannot change' (paraphrased, of course), that peace returns to your life.

IF there are kids in the equation, they typically come with age and help ferment that perspective. You watch them lose their mind over the stupidest sht and want to say 'hey, wait until something really bad happens to you', because you've been there and done that and moved on (hopefully). Kids CAN give you some positive, alternative things to really care about. Like, how they grow up and what kind of person they will be = these are things you can actually have an active hand in. UF coaches calling timeouts at the end of a half? Players running the wrong play? Pfffttt....not my problem, I can't do anything about it but choose to spend my time less stressfully, more productively, in a more rewarding fashion.

I'd still enjoy the hell out of winning some games. Yeah, that'd be nice. But idgaf anymore about UF sports. I got more important things in my life at this point, and the perspective to know what's important and what isn't.
Heyyyy mannnn, I'll be 56 in May and all I gotta say is...

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Basically what y’all are saying
I used to be difficult to be around during a game.
Now?
Hey, if the program wants to win games and be successful, they can. They just choose not to.
So I’m not going all in again until they do.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I said a few months back this may be the first season I don’t actually go to games. Kept my tickets but just feel like it’s so blah right now. I’m nearly certain my mood will have changed by September, but just the thought is eye opening to me given it’s all I’ve ever done since before birth. And my youngest is basically me all over again, so it may even just be his doing.

Echoing the thoughts of others, it’s a combination of the product, and other unrelated factors. I’ve begun enjoying other aspects of life that aren’t hinged on what happens in a game I can’t control. My kids are also at an age where I don’t like mortgaging my time with them because I’m mentally drained and/or severely hungover those weekends. Sadly, I found myself enjoying our tailgating tent much more this year than the games, which makes me feel like “one of those people”. Either way, I’m enjoying the off-seasons much more these days. So no, you’re not alone, MJM.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Basically what y’all are saying
I used to be difficult to be around during a game.
Now?
Hey, if the program wants to win games and be successful, they can. They just choose not to.
So I’m not going all in again until they do.

I watched the first half of the fsu game at a restaurant, with family(several of whom don’t even watch or know college football and one cousin that’s a nole). Then we finished at my house. The only time I mentioned they may need to leave was when it looked like they were about to blow the doors off up 14 in the 3rd. Ten or so years ago, none of that would’ve happened. Doesn’t help that one of my two best friends is a bulldog. Easily top 5 human beings I’ve ever known that took the pummeling for so long from us in Jax, and handled it all with class and even now doesn’t talk smack at all. So seeing him being humbly overjoyed, and being happy for the person even if I loathe the event, has been a challenging balance.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I said a few months back this may be the first season I don’t actually go to games. Kept my tickets but just feel like it’s so blah right now. I’m nearly certain my mood will have changed by September, but just the thought is eye opening to me given it’s all I’ve ever done since before birth. And my youngest is basically me all over again, so it may even just be his doing.

Echoing the thoughts of others, it’s a combination of the product, and other unrelated factors. I’ve begun enjoying other aspects of life that aren’t hinged on what happens in a game I can’t control. My kids are also at an age where I don’t like mortgaging my time with them because I’m mentally drained and/or severely hungover those weekends. Sadly, I found myself enjoying our tailgating tent much more this year than the games, which makes me feel like “one of those people”. Either way, I’m enjoying the off-seasons much more these days. So no, you’re not alone, MJM.
You aren’t alone at the tailgates with your orange polyester shorts either…

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
There's some of both, but it's mostly bc we've sucked for decades and theres honestly zero signs that's changing any time soon. At some point in that scenario you just stop giving a sht bc it's clear the org you care about doesn't give a sht.

As much as I enjoy watching my son play ball, if the gators were dominating and competing for titles we'd all be over the moon about it.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
There's some of both, but it's mostly bc we've sucked for decades and theres honestly zero signs that's changing any time soon. At some point in that scenario you just stop giving a sht bc it's clear the org you care about doesn't give a sht.

As much as I enjoy watching my son play ball, if the gators were dominating and competing for titles we'd all be over the moon about it.
As Abrams told me (several years too late, but that was on me): "You made the mistake of loving something that can't love you back."

Last edited:

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
I really get sick of people who call it a down cycle as if our "up cycle" was comparable to Bama's. It's entrenched mediocrity and everyone who has actual power to change it seems fine with it.

Beyond that, it matters less because NIL and the portal have been a total schidt show for us. I don't care for either one, but dammit, if you're stuck with it, be in it to win it.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Remember the first time you fell head over heels in love? It was physically painful not to be near her. You would think about her all the time. When you broke up, you were crushed, inconsolable.

It was the first time for all those emotions. You didn't have a reference point. After falling in love and breaking up a half dozen times, it gets easier. The highs aren't as high, the lows aren't as low.

Same thing with football.

When you're a student, you only have 4 years. You only get two home games against FSU. Those games are life and death. If you lose, you're devastated. If you win, you're euphoric.

Then you graduate and since you were a freshman, the Gators have played FSU 26 times, 12 of those home games you attended in person, plus a couple games up there and a bowl or two...it's not the same. The wins aren't as sweet and the losses aren't as bitter. You've mellowed in your old age.

So some of that and some of the product stinking on ice.

Alex.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
As Abrams told me (several years too late, but that was on me): "You made the mistake of loving something that can't love you back."
Other than those who are self absorbed and self possessed, most guys have made that mistake at least once. Especially if you modify it to “can’t or won’t”. FTR - I know I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb