Age or apathy?

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
‘Expectation is the mother of all disappointment’ they say, and we don’t have reason to expect much lately. So to avoid high blood pressure and acid reflux, we become…
1679749755668.gif

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some of you are so thoughtful and eloquent............... Me, I just don't give a chit anymore!

Turned in my fan card..... :flush:

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Apathy is more prevalent than you recognize.

When I was a student in late 90’s early 2000’s, the cream puff games like middle Tennessee state were sold out.

Now, there’s vacant seats for FSU. The past 2 AD’s and 3 coaches have murdered the swamp.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Although I agree that it’s both to some extent, in my opinion it is mostly apathy towards the program.

When my sons were active in little league and then high school sports, I spent a lot of time and energy around that which took away from my love of gator sports but only from the details.
I was no longer able to focus as much time and energy on the gators but my passion and enthusiasm did not diminish at all because the athletics department was so strong.

Conversely, I am retired now and living in Gainesville with all the time and energy in the world for the gators but I just don’t have that passion anymore.
My wife and I moved all over the country while maintaining our passion for the gators over 25 years and we dreamed of the day when we could move to Gainesville and truly enjoy the gators.

We’ve been here for 5 years now and we feel like we should consider moving again because of the apathy we have for the administration of this dysfunctional program.

It’s not your age, it’s the product.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Although I agree that it’s both to some extent, in my opinion it is mostly apathy towards the program.

When my sons were active in little league and then high school sports, I spent a lot of time and energy around that which took away from my love of gator sports but only from the details.
I was no longer able to focus as much time and energy on the gators but my passion and enthusiasm did not diminish at all because the athletics department was so strong.

Conversely, I am retired now and living in Gainesville with all the time and energy in the world for the gators but I just don’t have that passion anymore.
My wife and I moved all over the country while maintaining our passion for the gators over 25 years and we dreamed of the day when we could move to Gainesville and truly enjoy the gators.

We’ve been here for 5 years now and we feel like we should consider moving again because of the apathy we have for the administration of this dysfunctional program.

I really hate hearing that man. Can't imagine retiring then moving to hogtown specifically for the gators when this is what we are provided.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

Translation: Low-T

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I really hate hearing that man. Can't imagine retiring then moving to hogtown specifically for the gators when this is what we are provided.

I see it both ways. Ftr, I don’t disagree with you and it sucks that you’re not enjoying your retired life. It has been some of the ugliest seasons since I moved here and I feel probably how my parents felt putting me through the late part of the 80s, as my kids have never known UF being great. But the flip side is that I can just about guarantee I’d never have been at games like tennessee in 2015/17, Lsu ‘18, etc. I would never have made the trip up. I mean, I had to be drug kicking and screaming to get me to Jax in 2002 and that was only because I said I wasn’t going if we lost to Auburn a few weeks prior when they’d stormed back and it looked like were going to lose on a last second FG. I boxed myself in and went begrudgingly. I probably wouldn’t have attended more than a handful of games since Meyer if not for being closer. So think about how much easier it is to stew down 2nd Ave on the way home than if you were staring at a 4 hour Tpike drive.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I see it both ways. Ftr, I don’t disagree with you and it sucks that you’re not enjoying your retired life. It has been some of the ugliest seasons since I moved here and I feel probably how my parents felt putting me through the late part of the 80s, as my kids have never known UF being great. But the flip side is that I can just about guarantee I’d never have been at games like tennessee in 2015/17, Lsu ‘18, etc. I would never have made the trip up. I mean, I had to be drug kicking and screaming to get me to Jax in 2002 and that was only because I said I wasn’t going if we lost to Auburn a few weeks prior when they’d stormed back and it looked like were going to lose on a last second FG. I boxed myself in and went begrudgingly. I probably wouldn’t have attended more than a handful of games since Meyer if not for being closer. So think about how much easier it is to stew down 2nd Ave on the way home than if you were staring at a 4 hour Tpike drive.
The Office Grandpa GIF by MOODMAN

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
When I was young, sports were everything. I was already through college when I became a Gator fan in '90. In the next 20 years I had a lot of fun going to games but things changed. Too many loud commercials on the scoreboard, lost parking and tailgating spots three times due to 'progress'. Now the poor product and NIL money has ruined many of the best things about college football. I barely watch any sports now except auto racing.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Great thread here. lol

For me it's apathy, no doubt. I'm getting old, but still have passion for Gator sports. I moved back to Florida in late 2021, got a season ticket (added one ticket to my sister's 3)....and I went to one game (Utah, which was great). Once we lost the UK game (and how we lost it) I just didn't want to waste my time driving up to Gainesville to watch another mediocre season of UF football. I was a Gator Club president for three years (and BOD member for 8 years) - my whole social life revolved around UF football. I moved out of state in the summer of 2008 - so I watched the national championship, then I watch the trainwreck. The "lost decade of Gator football" has now extended into it's 14th season.

Always remember - "We're not getting into an arms race."

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
For starters, you gave me a "funny" LAST NIGHT, then replied THIS MORNING... Buddy, I hate to break this to you, but I think we both know which one you are... we both know... :lol:
the funny was from this morning. the reply was two hours later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.