All Time Florida Basketball Starting Five

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015
Oh really.

You know what you are? You're a dipshyt coward. Own it, dude.

Ok, tough message board poster guy that apparently gets his jollies off on calling people names behind a keyboard...

His performance cost us the game, hurt or not. You are free to have any opinion that you want.

But where exactly did I say he choked? Choking implies that his lack of performance was tied to pressure or the stage being too big for him. Where exactly did I say that? I said he played one of his worst games of his college career ... which I think is a pretty reasonable opinion (find me a game where he played worse, healthy or not). You are claiming I said something that I didn't.

Own it, dude.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The biggest disappointment we've ever had was Orien Green. Dude was a straight Baller.

Great length, speed, and insane athleticism. He just couldn't put it together upstairs. So much talent never brought to fruition.
He transferred to LaLafeyatte, played in the NBA for a stint, and now he plays in..................................Mexico. :bandit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orien_Greene

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
No doubt his career numbers are better, but

1) How does the defense compare?
2) How does the minutes played and team distribution compare?
2) How does the overall team talent compare?
3) How does the competition compare?
4) What would happen if they switched teams and eras?

I personally don't know much about Walk, so I am interested in the comparison.

Sorry Lee. I looked hard. Can't find any of Walk's UF stats except those few mentioned in the article spurred on by his death - sports obituary. But NBA p/g stats between Noah and Walk are close. But Walk's numbers dropped as he played his last years (9 & 10).
PPG Walk = 12.6, Noah 9.3 ...... rbs/g Walk 7.7, Noah 9.4 ....FG% Walk 45.9%, Noah 49% .... FT% Walk 75%, Noah 71% ...blk/g Walk 0.4, Noah 1.4 .... min/g Walk 24.4, Noah 29.5.

Just an add: in '97 Walk's jersey #41 was retired, the only jersey retired by the Gator Basketball program -- so far.?? Walk's Miami High school team consisted mostly of Jewish boys and they often got pelted with bagels by the opposing crowd. In a hotly contested state qualifier game, a fierce fight broke out. Walk had to square off with NFL great Ted Hendricks. A spectator who played for UM had to help break it up -- that guy was Rick Barry, Canyon's Dad.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, tough message board poster guy that apparently gets his jollies off on calling people names behind a keyboard...

His performance cost us the game, hurt or not. You are free to have any opinion that you want.

But where exactly did I say he choked? Choking implies that his lack of performance was tied to pressure or the stage being too big for him. Where exactly did I say that? I said he played one of his worst games of his college career ... which I think is a pretty reasonable opinion (find me a game where he played worse, healthy or not). You are claiming I said something that I didn't.

Own it, dude.

Not much for understanding nuance, are you? Or are you just backpedaling now that YOU'VE been called out? Go back and look at your previous posts blasting his performance, including the first one where you called him out for "singlehandedly" costing us the national semifinal. I'll bet you weren't even aware he was injured or you wouldn't have stuck your neck out so far to blast his performance. Even when it was pointed out he was injured -- not as an excuse, but as a statement of fact -- you still refused to acknowledge how it could have affected his play. It's called intonation and it's necessary to understand why his play was so subpar.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
To add about that 2013-2014 team, I'll always have fond memories of that season partially due to the win streak as Insti mentioned and partially because it was the first year my son showed an active interest in the games. The kid knew every player and was especially attached to Will Yeguette and Scottie. To the point where he would wear his socks high and wanted a mohawk to emulate them. He even got a chance to go to one of their practices and got an official game ball and signed poster. The players were all great with him, I even have a video of freshman Kasey Hill blocking my son's attempt at a layup :lol:
I got the opportunity to watch those guys in Atlanta during the SEC tourney. Scottie, DFS and Will came into the stands after the semifinal game and signed autographs and posed for pics with every single person that wanted them. They spent extra time with the kids and they were all smiling the whole time, so you could tell they were truly good guys.
I loved that team. Their work ethic and love for each other was off the charts. Classic overachievers.

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015
Not much for understanding nuance, are you? Or are you just backpedaling now that YOU'VE been called out? Go back and look at your previous posts blasting his performance, including the first one where you called him out for "singlehandedly" costing us the national semifinal. I'll bet you weren't even aware he was injured or you wouldn't have stuck your neck out so far to blast his performance. Even when it was pointed out he was injured -- not as an excuse, but as a statement of fact -- you still refused to acknowledge how it could have affected his play. It's called intonation and it's necessary to understand why his play was so subpar.

No, I do in fact understand nuance. I believe it is you who are having trouble here. I did say he singlehandedly cost us the game, I did not say he choked like you said I did. There is NUANCE between having a terrible game and choking. I have never denied or refused to acknowledge any physical limitations he may have been dealing with during the game due to injury. I can remember like it was yesterday with the kid on the sidelines icing his knees during timeouts and obviously dealing with some cramping issues. But regardless, whether an athlete is hurt or not, if he plays poorly you should call it what it is. Or do you not think LDR sucked against Arkansas (more so than usual at least) or Tiger Woods has sucked for the last several years. Both guys tried playing with an injury, and everyone here has buried them for their poor play.

I'm honestly confused how this has escalated. I can completely respect a difference of opinion (you may not think that his play cost is the game - that's fine, think what you want), but I won't take someone telling me I said something that I did not or claiming to know what I may or may not know. I'm personally done with it unless you wish to continue. Enjoy your weekend, dude.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
A little something on Andrew Moten, who was from my hometown. We had all watched him play at Shanks HS and it was exciting for a guy from Quincy to go to UF. When he came home for the summer after his freshman year, I played against him in the summer league they held at the old black HS (Carter-Paramore). I was 25 and could still play pretty well, but Moten was other-worldly. He had several steals that turned into break away dunks and I swear I don't think he shot any closer than 5 feet beyond where the 3pt. arc would have been (CP's gym didn't have one!). We held him to 63! He was something else. He's actually coaching at West Gadsden HS (used to be old Greensboro HS) and has been pretty successful. I always thought his career at UF would have been even better if Maxwell wouldn't have had an influence on him.

I remember the first game I saw that year. I think no pre-conference games were on TV or none on TV where I lived then. Then the first weekend conference game, I see this guy I have never heard of, Moten, dominating at PG. He was as good from day one on the court as anyone I remember at UF. Maybe Livingston Chapman was a good as quickly but his bad knees made him the Carlos Alvarez of UF basketball.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I played against Moten and Maxwell in a pick-up game at some public court in Gainesville when they were relative unknowns. I'm 6' and could dunk the ball back then. Was guarding Maxwell and let him go baseline thinking I would swat his sh*t when he went up. Well, he just kept rising and dunked the hell out of it while I was swatting at his elbows. :loser:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Rolling though this thread reminds me I would have NEVER dreamed that UF would ever have this conversation when I graduated in 1983. First, no one except Augie Griner cared. Second, we were behind F$U, scUM and even JU in a crappy basketball state. None of this happens without Billy D, and Billy D doesn't happen without Foley. (And a White is reminding me A LOT of Billy.)

My starting 5:

PF - Horford (seems unanimous)
SF - Brewer
C - Noah
SG - Mad Max. Other than maybe Horford, the best player in UF history. As a defender, he gave Jordan fits. Lightning slasher to the rim & solid deep shooter. But a strong nod to Humphrey as the most dead-eye shooter UF has ever had and a solid defender.
PG - This is really tough. Moten and Wilbekin were such great defenders. Green looked like he was up too late playing video games at times but hit so many huge shots. None made it in the NBA. I'll go...Scottie

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I played against Moten and Maxwell in a pick-up game at some public court in Gainesville when they were relative unknowns. I'm 6' and could dunk the ball back then. Was guarding Maxwell and let him go baseline thinking I would swat his sh*t when he went up. Well, he just kept rising and dunked the hell out of it while I was swatting at his elbows. :loser:

Much thanks MJM. Any other Gator stars originally gain their confidence from playing you when you were spry?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
How about this:

Pre-Donovan era:

PG: Moten
SG: Maxwell
SF: Delancy
PF: DeClerq
C: Walk

Or maybe Dimitri Hill at SF?

Donovan and Post-Donovan eras: