Alligator article - Midseason firing not the answer

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
This is bull. Just because you think you cannot find a star replacement you keep an underperforming employee? Stupid, and its more stupid when you're paying him millions. I would say don't tolerate mediocrity but mediocre would be an overstatement for this team.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Each day waiting with this failed experiment puts us one day farther away from our return to prominence.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
hey guys, Muschamp is out on the recruiting trail apparently...are you SERIOUS?????

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n85394 said:
hey guys, Muschamp is out on the recruiting trail apparently...are you SERIOUS?????

He has to be, at the very least representing the University as a whole. Not saying it is ideal, but it is better than not sending someone.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n85270 said:
And Muschamp was an assistant for years... how did that work out. The black cloud isn't going to leave until the whole staff is cleaned out. Not just the head coach. Durkin has been a joke for two years as DC, and what really has Roper proved. Do you honestly believe that Muschamp is the only reason that this cluster**** is on the field.

I honestly believe that the offense will improve the moment Muschamp is fired. I don't think the offense this year is a reflection of Roper. It is a reflection of Muschamp. The team has nothing to lose by letting Muschamp go right now. The season is already a failure, it will only get worse with him at the helm, so it's time to move on. I think they should let Roper be the interim so he can at least audition for an OC gig for either the new UF headcoach or for somewhere else. Keeping Muschamp on for one more game or for the rest of the year is pointless, and the cons of retaining him by far out weigh the pros.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n85406 said:
He has to be, at the very least representing the University as a whole. Not saying it is ideal, but it is better than not sending someone.

Disagree...what is he saying to the recruits? Come play for UF but not me? It is a travesty that this is still going on. JF is to blame now.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n85495 said:
Disagree...what is he saying to the recruits? Come play for UF but not me? It is a travesty that this is still going on. JF is to blame now.

So it is better to have no contact with the recruits what so ever? Allow other staffs and programs talk to them, but just hold off until the end of the season?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I think it can be a positive thing. Didnt Galen Hall take over during the year? He was the right answer at that time. Then again we took Don Devoe for the BB team and that was a clusterfk.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n85496 said:
So it is better to have no contact with the recruits what so ever?
Yes. UF needs to lay as low as possible. The worst thing that can happen is these recruits actually watch our games.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n85490 said:
I honestly believe that the offense will improve the moment Muschamp is fired. I don't think the offense this year is a reflection of Roper. It is a reflection of Muschamp. The team has nothing to lose by letting Muschamp go right now. The season is already a failure, it will only get worse with him at the helm, so it's time to move on. I think they should let Roper be the interim so he can at least audition for an OC gig for either the new UF headcoach or for somewhere else. Keeping Muschamp on for one more game or for the rest of the year is pointless, and the cons of retaining him by far out weigh the pros.

Then you have an issue where who gets the loyality. Do potential coaches believe that Roper or whomever gets perfered treatment. What happens if their is a winning streak? It's not idea, but what else do you open up by just not staying the course to the end. Similar to Zook.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n85505 said:
Then you have an issue where who gets the loyality. Do potential coaches believe that Roper or whomever gets perfered treatment. What happens if their is a winning streak? It's not idea, but what else do you open up by just not staying the course to the end. Similar to Zook.
You have the strangest opinions. Gator fans are bailing right and left, the Swamp is empty, no one is renewing season tickets, apathy is at an all time high, and you can't seem to see any benefit to letting Muschamp go now.

:crazy:

Are you really that concerned with what happens in the remaining games on the schedule?

Gator charm

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What in the name of Ben Hill Griffin is our AD waiting for? We are listening to radio sports shows joking about our football program.....google it and look at the major news outlets saying it is time to end the pain. Foley's legacy should not be overseeing the decline of the football program back to the Doug Dickey era.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n85512 said:
You have the strangest opinions. Gator fans are bailing right and left, the Swamp is empty, no one is renewing season tickets, apathy is at an all time high, and you can't see any benefit to letting Muschamp go now. :crazy:

I can see the benefit in Zooking him. It should have been announced today he was done before the season. It worked out for us once with Gallen Hall, and also hasn't worked out or us or many others. Who are the players playing for? How do prospective coaches look at the situation? With Zook finishing the season everyone knows where everything stands. I know everyone wants a head on a platter, especially after Saturday. But the goal shouldn't be the next 5 weeks, but the next 5 years.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What a joke. This season is done. Get him out of there. Now. Firing him now sends a clear message to our recruits that we won't stand for losing. And tells other recruits who may not have considered playing for Muschamp that UF is once again a good option. We will be just fine with Durkin or Roper running the show for a few games. In 04 we fired Zook mid-season and won the NC two years later. The super sad thing is that Muschamp should have been gone after last year and now here we are. Maddening.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n85545 said:
What a joke. This season is done. Get him out of there. Now. Firing him now sends a clear message to our recruits that we won't stand for losing. And tells other recruits who may not have considered playing for Muschamp that UF is once again a good option. We will be just fine with Durkin or Roper running the show for a few games. In 04 we fired Zook mid-season and won the NC two years later. The super sad thing is that Muschamp should have been gone after last year and now here we are. Maddening.

And in the example you gave Zook finished the season. How would this situation be any different?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n85496 said:
So it is better to have no contact with the recruits what so ever? Allow other staffs and programs talk to them, but just hold off until the end of the season?

I did not say that...send out the assistants not the dead man walking. As a recruit, what would you think of a soon-to-be fired coach talking to you? Whatever, I'd say. Not to mention...in the back of my mind...what if this lunatic is actually back next year. I'm not playing for this loser.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is a silly debate, in my opinion.

There are two separate but connected issues in play. One is that the current coach has failed by every objective, nay, charitable measure and he needs to be removed. The second issue is who will replace him.

Issue one (plus the timing of his removal): I don't understand any of the arguments that posit waiting is better, especially when the conclusion has already been drawn. The entire country witnessed a team lay down on its coach Saturday night. We’re coming off a 4-8 season that included a loss to a IAA school and we are very lucky right now not to be 1-5. Very lucky. It is better for everyone for it to happen now - especially Muschamp himself and our players (and recruits and fan base). The game results for the remainder of the season matter little anymore. Lift the cloud now. Today. Hand the reigns to Roper or Lawning or Leak or Billy D or Billy Carter or Bill the Cat or whomever and focus on the future. There is no benefit to keeping a dead man walking, um, walking. I've said it before in other posts and I'll say it again now. Look at the benefit firing Kiffy mid-season brought USCw last year. That could be us. They finished with a respectable record and a decent recruiting class. There is (or was) talent on this roster. How is it in any way better to keep CWM through EOY? So he can tell us "it's on him" and "we'll get it fixed" a few more dozen times? What is the benefit??

We've entered an era in our country where we have to make even the simplest things complex, where even the blackest or whitest of issues has to have "shades of gray" and "context". Stop trying to find the context. Muschamp has failed by every measure and needs to go. Now.

The second issue is his replacement - a whole 'nother issue.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n85574 said:
or Bill the Cat

Great post and an Oop Ack! to you...they don't make em like that anymore

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n85581 said:
Great post and an Oop Ack! to you...they don't make em like that anymore

:)

Berke Breathed was hilarious. That was something of a golden age of comics with Bloom County and Waterson's Calvin & Hobbes. I used to look forward to the daily paper for those strips alone. I have both strips collected works somewhere in a box...

Now, back to the topic at hand and all the yelling and screaming!! :blahblah: :gah:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.