Alligator article - Midseason firing not the answer

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fishon;n86391 said:
If Muschamp had any sense at all he would resign right now.

That makes no sense at all. If he resigns, he forfeits the buyout.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n86379 said:
The Interm coach would be just a dead man walking as well. Now, I agree with they should announce that he would not be back this week, while he is out. So that back of the mind thing is gone.
Plenty of interims have done well enough to earn the job. We'll probably end up with an OC anyway. If Roper hadn't been stupid enough to jump in this dumpter fire, he would have been one of the very short list of OCs being considered. It's free and we know what the disaster will look like so long as Dawgshiitt is running the show.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n86397 said:

I meant as far as recognizing that he won't be able to fix this. I originally wrote if he had a sense of right and wrong but changed it for whatever reason. You are suggesting that he should keep the money and further flush the program down the toilet. I think that's wrong (yes, fully realizing that most people wouldn't walk away from millions of dollars)

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n85775 said:
I don't get why everybody says this. Is our D as good as Dan Quinn's? No, but who is as good as Quinn? Not even Charlie strong...I'd say Quinn may be the best DC we've ever had...and that's saying something. He's a rare and exceptional talent.

Last year we had our problems getting off the field when it mattered, no doubt. But many of those were in the 2nd half and they had absolutely no help from the offense and were worn down. The offense was an absolute joke YET the D still finished in the top 10 in the country. Our secondary has been torched early in the season but we also have a lot of freshman playing a lot of minutes in there. And is the secondary let down Durknin's fault or T-Rob's. :dunno:

Despite our offense regressing every week our defense has steadily improved. Is Durkin as good as Quinn. No. Is he a "joke" ? Hell no, he's not a joke.

So the fact that our defense still has an issue lining up isn't an issue? The fact that if it were not for Tennesse's young line false starting because our Defensive linemen couldn't get in the right position. Our defense looked great against whom exactly, a bad Missouri team, a bad Tennesse Team, and Eastern Michigan. That is the standard of excellence we have on defense now. If the other offense can't stop shooting themselves in the foot, then our defense is awesome.

The defense allowed Kentucky highest offensive output against an opponent not named Tennesse-Martin. Alabama to break all kinds of records defensively against us. Tennesse's second highest offensive output against an SEC opponent. Alabama's highest offensive output of the season against any opponent including Florida Atlantic. Missouri they didn't need to do much, because the Missouri offensive sucks balls, I mean they are an offensive juggernaught who average 182 yards of total offensive in SEC play. What has Durkin truly done that makes you think he is a great defensive coordinator?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fishon;n86411 said:
I meant as far as recognizing that he won't be able to fix this. I originally wrote if he had a sense of right and wrong but changed it for whatever reason. You are suggesting that he should keep the money and further flush the program down the toilet. I think that's wrong (yes, fully realizing that most people wouldn't walk away from millions of dollars)

I agree that in a perfect world, a person would admit their failures and forfeit the millions because they did not earn them.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n86415 said:
I agree that in a perfect world, a person would admit their failures and forfeit the millions because they did not earn them.

Spurrier walked away from millions...good guy.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Well I tend to think what positives and negatives a situation has. Firing him does not change looking for the next coach, better to do so quietly. The number of wins out of the next games is not a consideration, nor is a potential bowl game. We are not going bowling and with or without I don't see much difference.

Now I might argue that say Roper would work with the team to address some of the deficiencies that we see, but unless he is going to continue (can't be sure of that) I bet he would not do much.

I don't care what is said about our football situation, nothing could be worse than the actual play and coaching. Support the players and try to remain calm.

So let him coach out and replace at the end of the season, nothing else improves the situation. I don't like it but logic indicates that is the best solution.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n86639 said:
To go to the NFL where he could make more. :rolleyes:
Spurrier did walk away from the 15 million dollars left on his Redskins contract.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n86642 said:
Spurrier did walk away from the 15 million dollars left on his Redskins contract.

Resigning is a lot more common in the NFL than it is in college (if we're talking leaving for performance reasons).

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think Wobble's post is about as accurate as it gets. In a perfect world, a coach that has clearly failed would just walk away and save their employer and the supporters millions of dollars. But this isn't a perfect world. It's a world with mortgages, bills, etc and he's not going to do it. We rolled the dice and it was a bad roll. It's our fault, not the table's.

The bigger issue that I think is being missed by some is the absolute advantage that you'd gain from firing WM today. Roper is probably the most qualified to be an interim given his years under Cutcliffe. In many respects you're getting a try-out without the cost(like we're facing now) of missing on a coach. What if Roper stepped in and did well? Now, I cautioned last week that we could end up with a Bill Stewart situation where an unqualified coach pulls a good game or 2 out of his hat and we commit without a solid sample. With 6 games remaining, including 3 against solid opponents, we'd get a pretty good feel for his ability. Maybe, just maybe, he'd warrant a 2 year contract. What exactly do we have to lose? The season is shot. Recruiting is already bad and several prospects have indicated they're waiting to see if WM is retained. If that's not going to happen anyway, why not give them something to think about over the course of the next few months? Firing him at season's end gives us no more games to indicate that our future may be bright after all. Right now, we don't have that slam dunk candidate that's waiting in the wings. So why not look internally? There's literally nothing negative that can come from that.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Coach9;n86778 said:

Selling Muschamp's House?

Wish you the best. With his temper, I have to think there's some wall damage. But that's no adversity you can't overcome.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n86397 said:

No he could still get some of it. It would be good to admit he is in over his head or at least he has not gotten it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.