Amari Burney set to take over star job?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't really know where to put this. The prospect of this has been discussed in a few threads, but I can't find them now anyway.

I like the idea of going bigger and finally trying to stop the run a little as opposed to playing a cornerback here given that no one in the SEC passes anyway.

I wonder if we will see him some tomorrow. It also obviously implies that Chauncey is gone, as expected.

Some were able to take advantage enough that they've likely carved out a bigger role for themselves going forward. Like freshman nickelback Amari Burney, who will have a chance to potentially step in as a starter once Chauncey Gardner-Johnson heads to the NFL....

"He's a big body type, everybody says he's a linebacker but Burney can run," Gardner-Johnson said. "Out of the DBs that's fastest it goes CJ (Henderson), me, Burney, then everybody else. Burney's going to surprise a lot of people. You're going to see a lot more of 30 this week."

Defensive coordinator Todd Grantham pointed to Burney as one of four true freshmen that really stood out during the developmental practices, along with safety John Huggins, linebacker David Reese and defensive end Andrew Chatfield.

Grantham likes the versatility Burney's unique size and athleticism offer.

"I think he really has a lot of position flexibility. He's really fast," Grantham said. "He's a smart kid, very conscientious, has got good instincts, he can run. Brings a physical presence when he tackles you. I think he gives us, the biggest thing I see with him is positional flexibility. I think he can play the position he's playing now. I think he can play linebacker too. I think it's just a matter of how do we get our best 11 players on the field. I think he'll certainly be a guy that will challenge for one of those spots."

Burney seems like the obvious candidate to step in for Gardner-Johnson at nickelback next year, but he's not the only one.

The Florida defensive coordinator doesn't appear to have fully made up his mind just yet, which isn't surprising given there are months to go before next season.

"I think you look at all the corners that we have, even our safeties, all of those guys can fill the role," Grantham said. "Marco (Wilson) is a guy that's played it before his freshman year. C.J. McWilliams is a guy that's been in there. Then because of our issues outside, we kind of moved him more outside and Burney came along, ended up being the backup. Of course Burney can play it. Trey Dean is another guy that has size and speed and a physical presence to him that can do that.

"I don't know if that's really etched in stone as far as who will be that guy. I think the biggest thing is we'll kind of evaluate all those guys as say outside corners, inside playing the star position or you're playing the safety and then the star, to just see what kind of combination of players gives us the best chance to be productive."

Burney on verge of a much bigger role on Florida defense

More at the link. Great article by Goldkamp

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think just the fact that I'm actually talking about current players makes your post preposterous.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Would love to see what the kid has. It would be a good move to have a guy that can help with run support and use speed to lay a hit in coverage.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I hoped to see this more all year, especially when Marco went down. Burney did get some playing time but limited spot duty. @Itraz suggested it was personel matchups that kept Chauncey there. If so, you’d think Michigan’s personel would favor using a bigger body. Maybe we even go to a true 3-4 this game and put a lb on the field, but, unless it’s Houston, I don’t think any of our lb’s can run with Michigan’s TE’s.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He is too big probably at 225 or whatever he is now. Its one thing to have great straight ahead speed and another to have football speed chasing pass catchers.

The SEC passes more than you realize and has 2 of the top 10 teams in passing. Even Muschamp's team is top 25 in passing yards per game.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I like having a bigger Star also (vs. a McWilliams or other CB moved over to play the position). There was no mention of Reese Jr, who was playing that spot as well.

At Star & Safety we could see Dean, young Reese, Burney, & Huggins - unfortunately, we still probably see Stiner back there and Taylor considering how much experience they gained this year. I'm not sure if either of those two will improve, but I doubt they get benched.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I like having a bigger Star also (vs. a McWilliams or other CB moved over to play the position). There was no mention of Reese Jr, who was playing that spot as well.
Oh good G*d. McWilliams? I cant believe he even said that name.

I agree re heavy star, essentially a lightbacker who can cover. I will give up some coverage for more run stopping. Tired of getting the ball smashed down our throats. We only play one passing team a year (Methzu) and playing a third corner didnt help in the slightest vs them given how horrendous our safeties are.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Could be that Gardner is going to get a shot at Safety to audition for scouts.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I hoped to see this more all year, especially when Marco went down. Burney did get some playing time but limited spot duty. @Itraz suggested it was personel matchups that kept Chauncey there. If so, you’d think Michigan’s personel would favor using a bigger body. Maybe we even go to a true 3-4 this game and put a lb on the field, but, unless it’s Houston, I don’t think any of our lb’s can run with Michigan’s TE’s.
This is our first game vs a FB & TE, 2 WR type offense. Would seem odd to suddenly go 3-4 when we only played it on 3rd down other games this year.

If we stay in a nickel I expect us to get killed with the power run game.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I agree re heavy star, essentially a lightbacker who can cover. I will give up some coverage for more run stopping. Tired of getting the ball smashed down our throats. We only play one passing team a year (Methzu) and playing a third corner didnt help in the slightest vs them given how horrendous our safeties are.

Yeah, I cringed when he mentioned McWilliams.

Missouri is definitely the best passing team we see every year, but UGA can toss it around when they have to and Fromm is pretty damn good QB. When we got beat in the passing game it seemed it was mostly passes to the TE and/or screens (yes we got beat deep a few times, but the TE seemed to open anytime they threw to a TE). Having a Burney in coverage will be much better than a Joseph or other sh*tty LB trying to cover a TE or RB.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

My question is where we need Burney & Dean most. We’ve got to have better safety play. We’ve got to have someone at star who can cut through traffic and make plays as well as cover.

And I like the flexibility - making the QB guess wrong about who is coming, who is covering etc. is huge.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is our first game vs a FB & TE, 2 WR type offense. Would seem odd to suddenly go 3-4 when we only played it on 3rd down other games this year.

If we stay in a nickel I expect us to get killed with the power run game.

We played some 3-4 in the LSU game with Polite and Moon in the game at the same time.
I believe it was mainly first down and some short yardage situations. We had them
scouted well that's for sure. On the other hand I recall us being in nickel for pretty much all of the Kentucky game:doh:.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds good to me. But, it just sounds like he's on track like he should be. Good to see actual development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.