Amari Burney set to take over star job?

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I hoped to see this more all year, especially when Marco went down. Burney did get some playing time but limited spot duty. @Itraz suggested it was personel matchups that kept Chauncey there. If so, you’d think Michigan’s personel would favor using a bigger body. Maybe we even go to a true 3-4 this game and put a lb on the field, but, unless it’s Houston, I don’t think any of our lb’s can run with Michigan’s TE’s.

This. Traz may see this different, but I think our LBs are what forced us into 4-2-5 much of the year. You want to see David "cement feet" Reese and Joseph playing zone against 11 personnel we see so much of? What about Johnson? And that's the cream of the damn crop. No, that would be horrible for everyone involved - especially in the chatbox.

There's reason to feel good about seeing something else next year especially if we get Black in the class. I really like our LB class. I'm hoping Joseph hasn't hit his ceiling because I think he's got the athletic ability to do it - just not the mental aspect right now.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Our individual players, with opportunity, can develop to meet challenges. Like to see it. That way they can keep up with the better upstart recruits coming in.

PS>> main thing I want to see = O play-schemes that baffle UM's defense, along with our shutdown defense.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like having a bigger Star also (vs. a McWilliams or other CB moved over to play the position). There was no mention of Reese Jr, who was playing that spot as well.

At Star & Safety we could see Dean, young Reese, Burney, & Huggins - unfortunately, we still probably see Stiner back there and Taylor considering how much experience they gained this year. I'm not sure if either of those two will improve, but I doubt they get benched.

That young Reese is a monster from what I’ve seen. I think he ends up at LB or a 235# safety/destroyer. He’s listed at 220# on the roster, but I gotta believe Savage has/is gonna put some more muscle on him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I dont know wtf is going on. Granthem, when last I watched him, had three 300 pounders at LB and some two 240 lb DE/OLB hybrids playing a pretty stout 3-4 defense at Ugly. Then he disappears to the little leagues (ACC) and comes back playing three DEs, two of whom are 240 or less, and a nickel, and gets pummeled by almost every running team.

I'm not even going to pretend to predict what the hell's going on with this guy.

Last edited:

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I like having a bigger Star also (vs. a McWilliams or other CB moved over to play the position). There was no mention of Reese Jr, who was playing that spot as well.

At Star & Safety we could see Dean, young Reese, Burney, & Huggins - unfortunately, we still probably see Stiner back there and Taylor considering how much experience they gained this year. I'm not sure if either of those two will improve, but I doubt they get benched.

And yet (lol), I could see Stewart and Lenton possibly starting back there. Lenton made a tackle while on the sideline with a season ending injury this year, that’s impressive (or the stadium announcer is terrible, ok, he is).

Anyways, Lenton I’m sure will have a shot because the “you don’t lose your job due to injury...unless your Drew Bledsoe” adage that goes around. Plus, he apparently was doing well before getting hurt. Though I fear you’re probably right. However, Stiner is great in the last minute of games we are leading, lol.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I'd rather see Dean make the move to safety as it seems to be a more natural fit with his skill set. He and Stewart could be a pretty nice combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator