Annual coaching carousel

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@FootballScoop: Before the National Championship game there was no way Day would entertain this. Now?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
WOW what a fall

While I agree, fwiw:

@BruceFeldmanCFB: ULM has hired former #OleMiss OC Rich Rodriguez as the new offensive coordinator on Terry Bowden's staff. His son Rhett, a former Arizona QB, is also transferring to Louisiana-Monroe.

Thanks for making bad choices, and being an abrasive prick in the process, Dad.

A play away from beating Pitt in 2007 and likely going to the NC game against one of wo very beatable teams. Then offered the Alabama job, which he declined after initially accepting and flying back to Morgantown. Then an inexplicable scorched earth policy on his way out of WV--his alma mater, no less--to enter his new job at Michigan with tons of baggage, accusations and negative press. Now, several firings later, an OC at a mid-major in a terrible location. It's a bizarre, almost magical fall from grace that probably never needed to happen.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks for making bad choices, and being an abrasive prick in the process, Dad.

A play away from beating Pitt in 2007 and likely going to the NC game against one of wo very beatable teams. Then offered the Alabama job, which he declined after initially accepting and flying back to Morgantown. Then an inexplicable scorched earth policy on his way out of WV--his alma mater, no less--to enter his new job at Michigan with tons of baggage, accusations and negative press. Now, several firings later, an OC at a mid-major in a terrible location. It's a bizarre, almost magical fall from grace that probably never needed to happen.

He's left a ton of money on the table over the years. The way coaching salaries have only escalated over the last 10 years he shot himself in the foot just when they were rising. He's still well off, but he could have generational wealth had he not gone "scorched earth".

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There's a report that Derek Dooley is suing Missouri over his remaining contract when he was let go after Odom was fired. Talk about another coach who (although still well off financially) left a ton of money on the table. He's owed over $900K from Missouri. Not sure why Missouri thought they didn't have to pay out the contract. Dooley is currently a staffer w/ the NY Giants.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article248463805.html

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
There's a report that Derek Dooley is suing Missouri over his remaining contract when he was let go after Odom was fired. Talk about another coach who (although still well off financially) left a ton of money on the table. He's owed over $900K from Missouri. Not sure why Missouri thought they didn't have to pay out the contract. Dooley is currently a staffer w/ the NY Giants.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article248463805.html

He also left a ton of defenders on the "table" against Lsu in 2010.

Honestly, I think more schools should try this, though I'd probably not do it with a former practicing attorney. But imagine if we just stonewalled a guy like English. What's the worst that could happen. I'd never even heard this story about Dooley, and he's still an active coach in the NFL. So I don't think even a perception issue even matters. Everyone agrees that these salaries are out of control, so I'm not sure the crying in public is the way to go or would get a ton of support. If a coach grossly underperforms, I say send them a gift basket and a note that says "I assume this settles matters. All the best."

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He also left a ton of defenders on the "table" against Lsu in 2010.

Honestly, I think more schools should try this, though I'd probably not do it with a former practicing attorney. But imagine if we just stonewalled a guy like English. What's the worst that could happen. I'd never even heard this story about Dooley, and he's still an active coach in the NFL. So I don't think even a perception issue even matters. Everyone agrees that these salaries are out of control, so I'm not sure the crying in public is the way to go or would get a ton of support. If a coach grossly underperforms, I say send them a gift basket and a note that says "I assume this settles matters. All the best."

He signed a 3 year contract. The AD's office should know better in these situations. Similar thing happened under Muschamp w/ Kurt Roper. He was Muschamp's third OC, got a 3 years $600k/year contract and was let go after Muschamp got fired. We still owed him the remaining two years. I think he ended up at Cleveland as the QB coach. I understand giving them a 2 year contract, as they want job security. But a 3 year deal for an assistant is too long. And why was Missouri paying Derek Dooley nearly a million $ to be their OC?

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@JosinaAnderson: I'm hearing Tony Elliott, Clemson's offensive coordinator/ running backs, may also draw some interest for the #Seahawks OC vacancy, in terms of being discussed, per source.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ugggh.

@FootballScoop: Kevin Steele reportedly joining Tennessee staff Kevin Steele reportedly joining Tennessee staff

Steele is owed $2.5 million each of the next two years by Auburn with offset language. His contract w/ Tenn is 2 years $450K/year, so Auburn is still on the hook for $2.05 million each of the next two seasons. smh

Steele could end up earning more than $450,000 per year due to several bonus incentives in his contract. He’ll earn an additional 8.33% if UT appear in a bowl game, an additional 12% if they appear in a New Year’s Six bowl game or an additional 16% if they qualify for the College Football Playoff. He would earn an extra 2% on top of that if UT won a College Football Playoff semifinal and an additional 4% of if the UT won the College Football Playoff championship game.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Steele is owed $2.5 million each of the next two years by Auburn with offset language. His contract w/ Tenn is 2 years $450K/year, so Auburn is still on the hook for $2.05 million each of the next two seasons. smh

Steele could end up earning more than $450,000 per year due to several bonus incentives in his contract. He’ll earn an additional 8.33% if UT appear in a bowl game, an additional 12% if they appear in a New Year’s Six bowl game or an additional 16% if they qualify for the College Football Playoff. He would earn an extra 2% on top of that if UT won a College Football Playoff semifinal and an additional 4% of if the UT won the College Football Playoff championship game.

Sooo...450k.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@BruceFeldmanCFB: SOURCES: Alabama OL coach Kyle Flood is expected to join Steve Sarkisian’s staff at Texas as O-line coach/OC. Flood led the Crimson Tide offensive line and the group won the Joe Moore Award honoring the nation’s top O-line.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@BruceFeldmanCFB: Look for #Eagles OL coach Jeff Stoutland to replace Kyle Flood (off to Texas) as #Alabama’s offensive line coach. Stoutland who was the Tide’s OL coach in 2011-12, and Nick Saban go back a long time.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Auburn update. I'd say this is a much better staff than what Beamer put together at SC (a very Butter's-esque staff):

HIRED
  • Jeff Pitman, strength and conditioning coach
  • Brad Larrondo, chief of staff
  • Mike Bobo, offensive coordinator/QBs coach
  • Derek Mason, defensive coordinator
  • Will Friend, offensive line coach
  • Cadillac Williams, running backs coach
  • Zac Etheridge, cornerbacks coach
  • Jeff Schmedding, inside linebackers and run-game coordinator
  • Brad Bedell, tight ends coach
  • Tracy Rocker, DL coach
NAMES TO WATCH