Anonymous player exit interview

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Saw this on another site. Wasnt a pay to see article. Not even sure if the poster just made this stuff up because he didnt post a link, but I thought it was worth sharing.

Quarterback Treon Harris: I just think he needs to work on being a better quarterback, because he's a really good football player. But being a good football player and being a good quarterback are two completely different things. Just like understanding what's going on, what the defense is going to do in certain situations, understanding where to go with the ball to be smart, stuff like that is all he needs to work on. Physically, he's got all the tools you can possibly think of. It's just more mental and emotional for him because he gets pretty fired up, especially in games where he's playing against guys he knows, like Georgia and Florida State. He gets fired up. He's just got to keep a level head.

-- On Harris' handling of his situation regarding the sexual assault allegations in early October: If it affected him, it affected him positively, because he knew that that's pretty much the worst thing that can happen to you when you're 18 years old, being accused of something like that. And I thought he handled it really well. He didn't say anything dumb, he didn't do anything stupid on social media. He cooperated, he told the truth. Especially after he had bad games, I think that helped him stay levelheaded.

-- On Harris' leadership in the locker room: Him and Jeff Driskel are the same type of leader. They're just real quiet and they just do what they're supposed to do. No hoorahs, start yelling and cussing people out. They just do what they're supposed to do and lead by example, which I think is good for a quarterback because we have enough dudes that feel the need to yell and start bitching at people. It's always nice to have somebody levelheaded all the time.

Quarterback Will Grier: I honestly think he was the best quarterback on our roster the whole year, but he just wasn't mentally ready to play. Everything he does is just so smooth. His feet, his motion, it just comes natural. He doesn't have to work like Treon does to drop back or keep his eyes down because it just comes so natural for Will because he's so far along being so young. Passing-wise, he's just night and day ahead. He actually threw the ball in high school and didn't just be an athlete and run around and make things happen. He had to drop back. I think his dad playing quarterback has helped him too. He just understands the game for a kid coming straight out of high school and skipping his last six months of high school and just learning straight-up football. He understands the game better than any freshman I've been around.

-- On last fall camp's Grier-Harris competition for the backup job: I don't think it was very even honestly. I think Will is two steps ahead, but they just didn't feel the need to waste a year for Will when we had Jeff. Treon could run around a little more, which I think is what they wanted to take some pressure off of other people, take some carries off of running backs and stuff. The coaches, I think they played it the best they could honestly. Get Will a year to sit and learn and gain some weight, because Treon came in and he's not going to get any bigger or any taller, so just let him go out there and run around like he did all year.

Wide receiver C.J. Worton: If C.J. Worton can stay out of trouble, I think he can be really, really good. He's probably the most natural receiver we have, just like running routes, catching the ball - just all the qualities you see in receivers, not athletes who can catch and run. He's a receiver. He can run great routes. He knows what's going on. He's got good hands. He's just very immature for a college kid. That's what he needs to work on, in my opinion. Other than that, he's the best receiver we have - and I know we have Demarcus Robinson and he's great, but C.J.'s really, really good.

Cornerback Quincy Wilson: I think Quincy Wilson is really, really good. He already has an NFL body. He's way bigger than many of the secondary guys except Keanu Neal that we have and he plays corner. He started coming on at the end, but there's just so much talent back there that it's hard for everybody to get the same amount reps. You've still got Duke Dawson, Brian Poole, Keanu Neal. It's a good problem to have, but a problem nonetheless.

Running back/slot receiver Brandon Powell: I thought they used him more than he should have been used honestly. The main thing is they got really predictable about trying to put him in spots to give him the ball. That's all fine like 5-10 times a game, but you can't line him up all over the place and people not expect that he's getting the ball. I think he's a better receiver than he is a running back, because he's got really good hands. I think that's where they'll have him. Against FSU, he was in the slot a lot. He had a couple catches. If you can get the ball in his hands he's really good, but he's just so small you're just worried about him breaking down and breaking his arm or something freak like that and you'd lose him for the whole year.

Offensive tackle David Sharpe: I thought his freshman season was better than when D.J. Humphries played a lot in his freshman year. I thought it was better overall. He's just so talented and so big and so fast and so athletic. It's just understanding what to do again. Like with all young guys, it's just understanding where to go, what steps to take, what call to make, stuff like that. I think Mike Summers is the perfect coach for him for guys like that, because he gets lazy at times and Coach Summers does not tolerate people who are lazy.

On defensive linemen Khairi Clark and Taven Bryan: I think Khairi Clark's pretty good. He's a big, strong guy. Quick, can clog up space. I think Taven Bryan can be pretty good, too. He's a big, strong, fast dude, but he just doesn't know how to play football yet - just like technique wise. You see Dante Fowler run up with his hands and swat people's hands down and get them off. Players don't just run up and run into people. Instead of trying to get through them and around them, he'll just run into them. It's just the technique, and that's expected coming from Wyoming and stuff like that. There are different athletes there.

Offensive tackle Andrew Mike: I think he's going to be really good too, I honestly do. He strikes me as a guy who's going to play here for 4-5 years and then quietly play in the NFL for 10-12 just because he cares that much and works that hard. For him, he too is just physically behind because he's so big and so slow that once he puts good weight on, he can move. But I think he's really good.

Tight ends DeAndre Goolsby, C'yontai Lewis and Moral Stephens: Goolsby is the best receiver and I think Moral is the best overall like doing everything. Just his commitment level to being good is just in question. But C'yontai's really good too. He's just small. He needs to gain weight. They're all talented, it's just if they want to be as good as they can is the question.

The Grier vs Treon stuff is what I thought to be the case. What was really interesting is the section on C.J. Worton. Saying he is the best WR on the roster is quite a statement. The trouble that the anonymous player referenced in regards to Worton isnt legal issues. He broke his hand this year when he punched a wall at a party. He has some maturing to do.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Andrew Mike develops into a good OT, and David Sharpe is as good as well all think, plus Martez Ivey coming in as an all-world Tackle, I think we might see Rod Johnson moved inside to Guard. That would help us get our best 5 o-linemen on the field.

David Sharpe, Trip Thurman, Rod Johnson and Andrew Mike appear to be 4 pretty darn good linemen. Not sure which 5th guy will step up.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds kinda made up to me. During player exit interviews, do coaches really ask the exiting player for detailed analysis of other players?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure if these things are made up or not but I remember one saying after 2012 Driskel was the real deal and just needed more opportunity to grow as a QB. If it was real it was way off it appeared.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel was always a running back trying to learn to be a QB, and a lazy one at that.

Grier isn't.

Was there really any doubt who Chimp would pick between a runner and a passer?

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing I read from that surprises me about Grier at all. He's the real QB on our roster.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Worton was the biggest steal last year. Sousa's going to be good also. He led the state of Florida in receiving his last 2 years.

Grier is a beast.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
Law98gator;n174452 said:
Driskel was always a running back trying to learn to be a QB, and a lazy one at that.

Grier isn't.

Was there really any doubt who Chimp would pick between a runner and a passer?

Lazy how? I've never heard this in reference to Driskel. I do remember reading that when C Weis was here there was frustration that he wasn't spending enough time in the film room but I had not heard anything like that since.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Gatorbreath;n174413 said:
Sounds kinda made up to me. During player exit interviews, do coaches really ask the exiting player for detailed analysis of other players?

I really doubt the most coaching staffs ask outgoing players for feedback. They are probably as close as they want to be with the players, with the level of understanding on motivation, capabilities, and potential as they wish to be. They wish the players good luck out the door and focus on their view of how to handle the roster that's left.

I believe this article was a reporter getting anonymous feedback, not a coach.

Sundaysunday;n174484 said:
Lazy how? I've never heard this in reference to Driskel. I do remember reading that when C Weis was here there was frustration that he wasn't spending enough time in the film room but I had not heard anything like that since.

Driskel was WM's chosen boy. He's not going to let anyone say bad things about his starter and undermine anyone's confidence in him. Even if the other players saw it, they wouldn't say anything until they were safely out the door. Not saying the assertion is true or false, only that we wouldn't have heard about it.

Gatorwitt

Founding Member
Hugh Jassole
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is not made up. Its from an article on Inside the Gators. Whoever wrote the article is the person asking the questions. Not the coaches. I think there are several parts to the article.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sundaysunday;n174484 said:

I heard people saying that people they knew at the school said Driskel's drinking seemed to be as high a priority as getting ready in the off season. I think kids should be allowed some fun however.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
We know the players liked chump. That doesnt translate into good coaching. I dont buy that 3 OCs sucked either.

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
There's some serious lack of self awareness there. If whomever answering those questions really can't see why Muschamp was fired.. we really DO need to clean house.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n174977 said:
We know the players liked chump. That doesnt translate into good coaching. I dont buy that 3 OCs sucked either.

If all 3 OC's were bad it just shows how bad Muschamp is at evaluating offensive talent even on his coaching staff. Would you want any of the three back as an OC here at Florida?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n174958 said:
quite interesting... a lot of people are going to hate this part.

Did Muschamp talk to this kid prior to the interview. :lol:

Muschamp never limited any of the OCs. You have to be really brainwashed if you believe that imo.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n174994 said:
Did Muschamp talk to this kid prior to the interview. :lol:

Muschamp never limited any of the OCs. You have to be really brainwashed if you believe that imo.

I can't say he did or not. But at the same time, we haven't really had the who's, who of offensive innovation. It could be that Muschamp just doesn't have a clue on offense both talent on the field (which I do think Muschamp definitely had some control of) and talent off the field which is his coaching staff. I think it is a much more damning assessment of a CEO/Leader if he can't even see the talent of those who report directly under him of how well they do their jobs and picking the correct ones for the talent they will be leading.... By the time Roper got here he had a group of miss-matched talent due to differing offensive systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.