Another former Gator gets first MLB win

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Former Gator pitcher Shaun Anderson made his major league debut on the mound this week with a start for the San Francisco Giants. Had a solid first outing. Didn't get the decision but the Giants won. Also has a .1000 batting average as he went 2-2 at the plate. Giants are very bad this season and have begun a rebuild so Anderson will likely receive more starting opportunities as the year goes on. He was a reliever for the Gators, drafted by the Red Sox and later traded to San Francisco. Have made it a point to emphasize his UF connection on a couple of Giants boards I visit regularly.

Anderson makes MLB debut in win vs. Toronto

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
He was a very good closer for us one year. Didn't throw hard, but had good control of a nasty slider/curve. Good for him. Hope it continues.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I realize there is not much baseball interest on GC but thought I would mention that Anderson picked up his first Major League victory Saturday as the Giants beat the Orioles 8-2 in Baltimore. We were there to watch in person as he threw 7 innings, allowing just 2 runs and striking out 4. He was still hitting 94 on the radar gun in the seventh inning. He has a bit of swagger to him and looks comfortable on the big league stage so far. He could be a good one....something the Giants badly need.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Former Gator pitcher Shaun Anderson made his major league debut on the mound this week with a start for the San Francisco Giants. Had a solid first outing. Didn't get the decision but the Giants won. Also has a .1000 batting average as he went 2-2 at the plate. Giants are very bad this season and have begun a rebuild so Anderson will likely receive more starting opportunities as the year goes on. He was a reliever for the Gators, drafted by the Red Sox and later traded to San Francisco. Have made it a point to emphasize his UF connection on a couple of Giants boards I visit regularly.

Anderson makes MLB debut in win vs. Toronto
Decimal point to the right one place.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I realize there is not much baseball interest on GC but thought I would mention that Anderson picked up his first Major League victory Saturday as the Giants beat the Orioles 8-2 in Baltimore. We were there to watch in person as he threw 7 innings, allowing just 2 runs and striking out 4. He was still hitting 94 on the radar gun in the seventh inning. He has a bit of swagger to him and looks comfortable on the big league stage so far. He could be a good one....something the Giants badly need.

I've been in the DC area for 11 years and have never seen a game at Camden Yards. I've been to the football stadium a few times over there, but not the baseball park. I keep saying 'one of these days'....and 11 years later nothing! I need to get off my lazy ass and get over there!

Thanks for posting. Always good to see/hear about a Gator making it to the big leagues.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I've been in the DC area for 11 years and have never seen a game at Camden Yards. I've been to the football stadium a few times over there, but not the baseball park. I keep saying 'one of these days'....and 11 years later nothing! I need to get off my lazy ass and get over there!

Thanks for posting. Always good to see/hear about a Gator making it to the big leagues.

Camden is a very nice venue. You can see that it was the place that started the new design era of baseball parks. It doesn't have all the fan friendly bells and whistles of some of the most recent stadiums (like Atlanta) but it's a great place to watch a game. Very comfortable. Lots of food and drink options close by and the inner harbor in walking distance as well. You should go sometime. We are hoping to go to the Nationals park to see the Giants next season.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Camden is a very nice venue. You can see that it was the place that started the new design era of baseball parks. It doesn't have all the fan friendly bells and whistles of some of the most recent stadiums (like Atlanta) but it's a great place to watch a game. Very comfortable. Lots of food and drink options close by and the inner harbor in walking distance as well. You should go sometime. We are hoping to go to the Nationals park to see the Giants next season.

Nats Park is nice, lots of food options too. The outfield restaurant is fun if you have sh*tty seats or it's hot as hell.

I'll be in Baltimore for a JJ Grey concert next month, staying in the Inner Harbor area. I've been over there a dozen or more times since living here, just haven't made it to a game. I actually worked at the Coast Guard Yard just outside of Baltimore for over a year (but commuted from Arlington).

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017

Camden is a great place to see a baseball game. Get over there before you move out of the area.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

It's worth the drive. Camden was the first of the retro stadiums so it has lost it's some of it's uniqueness, but it's still a good spot. The area around there is pretty cool too with some decent bars to go to before the game (tho it has been a few years for me). Much better neighborhood than the one around Nats Park in SE DC. (I will admit to some bias on Camden Yards. When I was kid and young adult the Orioles were the only baseball around and Camden Yards was not only a massive upgrade from Memorial Stadium, but it was a lot closer to DC.)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It's worth the drive. Camden was the first of the retro stadiums so it has lost it's some of it's uniqueness, but it's still a good spot. The area around there is pretty cool too with some decent bars to go to before the game (tho it has been a few years for me). Much better neighborhood than the one around Nats Park in SE DC. (I will admit to some bias on Camden Yards. When I was kid and young adult the Orioles were the only baseball around and Camden Yards was not only a massive upgrade from Memorial Stadium, but it was a lot closer to DC.)

Yeah, I've been down there by the park (I've run the Baltimore Marathon and attended several games at the football stadium). The inner harbor is really nice.

The neighborhood around Nats Park has almost been completely gentrified. It's a cool, hip spot now with brand new condos (some of the tallest buildings in DC w/ the height restrictions inside the district). The new $500 million 20,000 seat soccer stadium opened last year right across the street from the ballpark. It's no longer a "scary" neighborhood (although there is still some HUD housing nearby). I drive by it every day on my way to work. CG Headquarters used to be in Buzzard's Point (which is where the soccer stadium was built). They gutted the old CGHQ and are turning it into condos now.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Yeah, I've been down there by the park (I've run the Baltimore Marathon and attended several games at the football stadium). The inner harbor is really nice.

The neighborhood around Nats Park has almost been completely gentrified. It's a cool, hip spot now with brand new condos (some of the tallest buildings in DC w/ the height restrictions inside the district). The new $500 million 20,000 seat soccer stadium opened last year right across the street from the ballpark. It's no longer a "scary" neighborhood (although there is still some HUD housing nearby). I drive by it every day on my way to work. CG Headquarters used to be in Buzzard's Point (which is where the soccer stadium was built). They gutted the old CGHQ and are turning it into condos now.
Have to confess to not being in that part of SE in a few years. It was so bad for so long, I wondered if the stadium would improve things. Glad to hear it's changing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb