Another Opportunity Cost of the Muschamp Era

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;87724 said:
Hey now. All the JD/WM haters said if Spurrier was the coach he would have recognized from the get go that JD sucked and would have never played him. Can't have it both ways. And Brantley's issues fall on Urban.
Brantley's issues are Urban's. How do you figure?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n87728 said:
Muschamp had addazio who made Brantley run the option at Alabama? Who knew.

Yeah... apparently Muschamp who had 1 year with Brantley (where he was hurt most of the year) ruined him. In Urban's last year 2010.... Brantley was very successful. Don't you remember him tearing it up in that offense... ?

This just goes to show how ridiculous people are... Driskel or Brantley it's not Muschamp's fault. Driskel doesn't have it. He wouldn't have it for another coach either. He just doesn't have the mental makeup...

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
ATXGator;n87749 said:
Yeah... apparently Muschamp who had 1 year with Brantley (where he was hurt most of the year) ruined him. In Urban's last year 2010.... Brantley was very successful. Don't you remember him tearing it up in that offense... ?

This just goes to show how ridiculous people are... Driskel or Brantley it's not Muschamp's fault. Driskel doesn't have it. He wouldn't have it for another coach either. He just doesn't have the mental makeup...
You can't be referring to when he was benched so Jordan Reed could play QB, could you?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think the reason a lot of people don't bag on Meyer is because we had 2 SEC titles, 2 National Titles, a Heisman Winner, and unbelievable dominant success over our rivals during his short stay.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n87752 said:
You can't be referring to when he was benched so Jordan Reed could play QB, could you?

Check the batteries on your sarcasm detector.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
oxrageous;n87753 said:
I think the reason a lot of people don't bag on Meyer is because we had 2 SEC titles, 2 National Titles, a Heisman Winner, and unbelievable dominant success over our rivals during his short stay.
I am not ragging or bagging on the guy for everything he ever did. But to say he did Brantley a disservice is well placed blame and true.

Gator charm

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
yeah, Mushdawg would have been great in the development of Kerwin, Shane or even Danny. I firmly believe that a good coach would have made JD a much better quarterback than what he is.....not saying great but let's face it he has gone backwards under Dawg. I do blame URBs for the Brantley situation though-the guy trying to run Tebow's offense without any of those skill sets was almost "Musdawgesqe" in its stupidity.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Gator charm;n87768 said:
yeah, Mushdawg would have been great in the development of Kerwin, Shane or even Danny. I firmly believe that a good coach would have made JD a much better quarterback than what he is.....not saying great but let's face it he has gone backwards under Dawg. I do blame URBs for the Brantley situation though-the guy trying to run Tebow's offense without any of those skill sets was almost "Musdawgesqe" in its stupidity.
I can agree with most of this. I just don't think JD ever really had what is needed upstairs to get it done.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Ray Finkle;n87775 said:
I can agree with most of this. I just don't think JD ever really had what is needed upstairs to get it done.

Agreed. Not sure why Roper comes in and repeats what champ says about him though.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n87649 said:
It's unknowable but still seems like something we should blame Muschamp for. Got it.

:clap:

Our Muschamp hatred knows no bounds. We hate him so much we sit around and think up new and more inventive reasons to hate him. Too damn funny.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Alagator;n87783 said:
:clap:

Our Muschamp hatred knows no bounds. We hate him so much we sit around and think up new and more inventive reasons to hate him. Too damn funny.
:exactly:

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n87703 said:
So the transfers and lack of a first class from the last coaching change is on WM? He is on his fourth year. Last draft was the first time his guys could be drafted. Why is that laughable? That is just fact.

I agree with what you're driving at here Finkle. It is utterly ridiculous to sit around and bash Muschamp for hypothetical reasons which no one can prove or disprove. But when you bring Meyer up, that is where you lose credibility. Best just to leave him out of this.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n87755 said:
I am not ragging or bagging on the guy for everything he ever did. But to say he did Brantley a disservice is well placed blame and true.

Can't have it both ways. Can't say that one can't blame Muschamp because it's unprovable and then say Meyer is at fault w/ Brantley. Brantley knew what he was getting into when he committed to play for UF. He knew Meyer was a spread guy. In reality JB probably should have just stuck with his Texas commitment.

But JB did have 4 years under UM and 1 under WM...it's preposterous to lay his failures at Muschamp's feet.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Alagator;n87799 said:
I agree with what you're driving at here Finkle. It is utterly ridiculous to sit around and bash Muschamp for hypothetical reasons which no one can prove or disprove. But when you bring Meyer up, that is where you lose credibility. Best just to leave him out of this.
There was a void in talent and sheer numbers when WM took over. A lot of that falls on Urban, some of it is just what happens when you change coaches and shouldnt be blamed on anyone. To say it is WMs fault for not having more draft picks his first few years is not fair. Those lack of picks should fall on Urban, last year and beyond fall on WM. Now they both deserve credit for the 2012/13 draft with Floyd and company. Urban brought them in, and WM developed them. It is an odd concept, but we can both credit and blame the same person for different things.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n87782 said:
Agreed. Not sure why Roper comes in and repeats what champ says about him though.

The only conclusion I can come up with is JD is a practice player. He performs well in practice. But on gameday, the pressure just gets to him and he goes into tunnel vision mode. Roper seemed to genuinely think he had something in JD. I just think JD has the skill/ability and shows it in practice. But he just doesn't have the mental mojo to get it done on game day.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n87805 said:
There was a void in talent and sheer numbers when WM took over. A lot of that falls on Urban, some of it is just what happens when you change coaches and shouldnt be blamed on anyone. To say it is WMs fault for not having more draft picks his first few years is not fair. Those lack of picks should fall on Urban, last year and beyond fall on WM. Now they both deserve credit for the 2012/13 draft with Floyd and company. Urban brought them in, and WM developed them. It is an odd concept, but we can both credit and blame the same person for different things.

I totally understand what your driving at. It's just that after a while it falls on deaf ears. It's like Obama blaming so many failures on Bush. That was tolerated for a little bit. But after a while, people just got tired of hearing how everything was Bush's fault. When our fine Pres. does that today, even his biggest supporters tune him out. You can only blame Current failures on the last guy for so long.

That's why I say in year 4, best just to leave Meyer's name completely out of the equation. You were right in my opinion and had a winnable argument by the sheer ridiculousness and hypocrisy that is present...but to bring up the old guy...even if in some ways you are right, it weakens your argument.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
This is fairly easy to measure at least at the gross level. Simply track recruiting class rakings versus NFL draft positions. Taking into account how many years that class was developed/destroyed by WM and his band of merry men.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.