Anthony Richardson

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I despise Mullen. But his point is valid here. I’ve been saying to the “where the AR of last year?” or “ Utah” argument, there is a big difference between being a popular backup that everyone cheers when you enter for a designed play or designated series, largely against competition early in the year, and being the guy. There’s also a differ between being put into a list cause game where the starter is yanked and you’re told to let it rip, and being the person in whose hands the outcome of the game lies. He was always going to have growing pains, and once Uk decided to completely take away the easy runs he had in week 1, it’s forced out him under much greater pressure. I think he’ll rise to the occasion at some point, and Saturday would be a perfect time to do it.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
There was zero contact on the play. None. And he still got up hopping around and gingerly testing the right ankle. He’s hurt. Question is how bad and is he a wuss?
False. At the end of AR's slide a USF defender stepped/landed on AR's right ankle. There most certainly was contact on the play.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I despise Mullen. But his point is valid here. I’ve been saying to the “where the AR of last year?” or “ Utah” argument, there is a big difference between being a popular backup that everyone cheers when you enter for a designed play or designated series, largely against competition early in the year, and being the guy. There’s also a differ between being put into a list cause game where the starter is yanked and you’re told to let it rip, and being the person in whose hands the outcome of the game lies. He was always going to have growing pains, and once Uk decided to completely take away the easy runs he had in week 1, it’s forced out him under much greater pressure. I think he’ll rise to the occasion at some point, and Saturday would be a perfect time to do it.
There was a good gator country podcast That talked about how defenses changed after Utah. They’re basically rushing only 4 and keeping seven back with a spy on him. They’re also only pressuring from one side of the line. To force him to his left against his throwing motion. They’ve basically identified that if he stays in the pocket long enough with nobody open he will self check himself.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
This is a logical and valid argument, however we aren't talking about a typical backup coming in with a bunch of adrenaline and having some unexpected success, then turned starter and seeing production fall off a bit.

Using USF as the example, 2021 he went 3 for 3, 152 yards and 2 TD's. And he rushed a few times too, 4 for 115 yards and another TD. That's 7 plays for 267 yards and 3 TD's or 38 yards per play and damn near a TD every 2 plays. 2022 against the same team, 10 of 18 for 112 yards 0 TD and 2 INT, 7 carries for 24 yards, no TD. That's approximately 5 yards per play, no scoring and 2 critical picks. Ignoring 3 TD 0 picks vs 0 TD and 2 picks, his production per play last year wasn't twice as high or even 3 time, it was 750% higher.

That's what makes it so shocking. We are literally talking about a guy who in admittedly limited reps, looked like the most gifted QB to ever walk on the field for UF now turning into a guy who can't hold Treon Harris's jock right before our eyes. Or in other words we are witnessing Superman with a 12 inch rager turning into limpdck Clark Kent with a 2 inch pud and the best explanation we can come up with is he has a lot more responsibility to lead the team and a lot of weight on his shoulders.

I'm with you though, I believe the highlights weren't a fluke and there's still the same freakish athlete in there somewhere and it should be only a matter of time before he reemerges at least to some extent. We can't expect 38 yards per play but he can do a helluva lot better than 5 yards per. Finding himself against the toothless hillbillies on the road would be rightfully awesome. We can only hope.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why on earth would the coaching staff tell the kid not to run? He stopped playing loose the moment they did. He's not even close to being the same athlete since then. Let him play, for God's sake.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Why on earth would the coaching staff tell the kid not to run? He stopped playing loose the moment they did. He's not even close to being the same athlete since then. Let him play, for God's sake.
Scared money don’t make money, except when it comes to cutting your star athlete qb loose to run.

Hopefully that changes this week.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

So if AR has a twitchy hamstring, a history of injuries, and no back-up you're okay with a walk-on running the offense?

However, I do agree. I don't play conservative, but do you see where I stand in Pick-Em?

Napier knows football. There is something here no one can tell us. IMHO

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Scared money don’t make money, except when it comes to cutting your star athlete qb loose to run.

Hopefully that changes this week.

I'll be shocked if we don't see a change. We're on the road against a key SEC East rival, a decided underdog. You HAVE to approach this game aggressively unless you want to lose.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So if AR has a twitchy hamstring, a history of injuries, and no back-up you're okay with a walk-on running the offense?

However, I do agree. I don't play conservative, but do you see where I stand in Pick-Em?

Napier knows football. There is something here no one can tell us. IMHO

I really don't care about the risks. It's football. It's how you play the game, to win.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I really don't care about the risks. It's football. It's how you play the game, to win.
You asked why on earth? I just stated what I'm hearing. "I'm all into Scared money don't make money" but if Napier is playing the long game that's a possible explanation.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I think a lot of it has to do with Miller being hurt, and the lack of talent at QB that Mullen left. I think clearly Napier is trying to play the long game as well and doesn’t want to chalk up this season as “whatever” while he gets his guys in place. That I can actually respect. There’s exactly one team left in our schedule that we can’t beat. He wants to win, and that might mean keeping AR healthy.

But as @GatorJ said, Uk’s defense not only refused to watch him run like he had against Utah, they openly stated they weren’t going to allow it. From a mental standpoint, AR is struggling with these new looks. He’s also dinged up a bit already which for help. I’ve not seen him with tremendous space to run like week 1 but just not taking it.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Yup... And I was slightly encouraged by these words from AR...
Doc1.jpg

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You asked why on earth? I just stated what I'm hearing. "I'm all into Scared money don't make money" but if Napier is playing the long game that's a possible explanation.

Sorry, not aiming at you. What I said was thinking out loud for Napier.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I think a lot of it has to do with Miller being hurt, and the lack of talent at QB that Mullen left. I think clearly Napier is trying to play the long game as well and doesn’t want to chalk up this season as “whatever” while he gets his guys in place. That I can actually respect. There’s exactly one team left in our schedule that we can’t beat. He wants to win, and that might mean keeping AR healthy.

But as @GatorJ said, Uk’s defense not only refused to watch him run like he had against Utah, they openly stated they weren’t going to allow it. From a mental standpoint, AR is struggling with these new looks. He’s also dinged up a bit already which for help. I’ve not seen him with tremendous space to run like week 1 but just not taking it.
There have been more than a few times in the last 2 games (especially last week), where given his ability (notwithstanding an injury) that after 2.5 seconds in the pocket, he had more than enough space for 5-7 yard runs (more if he could shake initial tackler/spy). After about the third time of him having an hour in the pocket, I was way past thinking "the OL is a LOT better this year!" and into the "AR being in the pocket for an hour is NOT a good thing"... Without going back to look, I'd bet that practically ALL of his INTs were balls thrown well after 3 seconds in the pocket, including the one at the goal line last week that he looked straight in. I'm spit ballin' here, hopefully you get what I'm saying... I don't know about your modern and confusing words like "Star" and "Jack," I'm just a simple unfrozen caveman fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.