Anthony Richardson

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm a bit more concerned with his maturity and mental space because clearly he's a great athlete.
You really think you're the only one that's concerned? Everyone in the Gator Nation is concerned.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Sorry guys but I'm going to play devil's advocate here. A number of people are saying, and rightfully so, that this was AR's 3,4,5th start. That is true. But it's not the first time he played football. Trask didn't play in years and came out like Wild Thing at the end of Major League when he got glasses.

I'm a bit more concerned with his maturity and mental space because clearly he's a great athlete. Im hoping this was a one off but I'm a bit concerned because this isn't some walk on at his first big game. Fingers crossed it's just a learning experience!

I'm hoping for big things tomorrow, it's only up from here!

I’m not completely disagreeing with you, but sometimes we romanticize a bit after the fact. Yes, Trask did provide some magic against Uk, but go back and watch the ut and Aub games again. Some very good moments, but also some definite learning curve for much of that season.

But I think more importantly, KT was asked to do the exact same thing he’d been doing since he was a kid. Richardson was always just bigger and faster than everyone else, so he could sort of improvise. And if it didn’t work, no problem. East Side wasn’t expected to win anything. The amount of pressure that’s been placed on his shoulders is crazy, especially after the way
DM botched things last year. I do think he’s been slightly coddled by locals who want him to succeed because he’s a decent kid(have a few in my section that are insufferable in their defense of him). But I don’t think from what I’ve seen that he’s adopted that mindset. I think he’ll be fine.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I think he’ll be fine.
New York Comedy GIF by HULU

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't quite paid enough attention to AR's form and fundamentals but I would guess that maybe in trying to mold AR into a better QB, the training inhibits his natural athletiscim and instincts and in trying to be a better 'pro' quarterback by not doing what he's always done it created major frustration for him.

Like instead of rolling out, throwing incorrectly, having his feet wrong, etc; which may have worked, that internal training of 'dont throw this way, stand this way... ' may have been a huge frustration. Whereas doing things the 'wrong' way worked for him and doing things the 'right' was wasn't working. I think we can all relate to that.

It's like when your boss comes by and your like 'oh yeah we always do it this way' and then your behind the rest of the day because it took so long to do things the 'right' way.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Opposition players and fans are gonna be merciless to AR, especially the Voles. He better be prepared!

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't quite paid enough attention to AR's form and fundamentals but I would guess that maybe in trying to mold AR into a better QB, the training inhibits his natural athletiscim and instincts and in trying to be a better 'pro' quarterback by not doing what he's always done it created major frustration for him.

Like instead of rolling out, throwing incorrectly, having his feet wrong, etc; which may have worked, that internal training of 'dont throw this way, stand this way... ' may have been a huge frustration. Whereas doing things the 'wrong' way worked for him and doing things the 'right' was wasn't working. I think we can all relate to that.

It's like when your boss comes by and your like 'oh yeah we always do it this way' and then your behind the rest of the day because it took so long to do things the 'right' way.
Some athletes can not play QB without being on the move. Bowden learned that finally with Charlie Ward after many wasted games making him be a “pocket passer.”

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This.

I’ll add to it that he’s been on campus for three years now. Granted, two completely different head coaches, but that’s beside the point.

Bryce Young had a rather shytty game last week, too. The difference being that when he had the opportunity to go win the game for Bama, he did.
Yeah bryce young also didn't look like he was going to shcit himself. That's what was most concerning to me.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

Like thinking versus reacting....sometimes that instant that it takes to think first changes everything about what the persons reacting to in a moving environment. I think sometimes coaches try to gameplan by having QB's make "easy" throws to start a game off. This week aside it'll be interesting to see what they do vs UT since our WR screens and such have been heavily scouted out. I'd like to see him get involved in the running game early on(not just handing the ball off either) maybe install a true run/run option package showing them something they haven't prepared for.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
This is another one of those 10000s of coaches that have an idea about your QBing. Unlike 99.43% of them I am actually called coach and have been for well over 40 yrs. Aside that this is my message to you. You are a local kid and we (us locals) love that. We have had local kids before star at UF. The Peterson kids from Santa Fe. Nattiel from Newberry and Kerwin from Mayo. Mcgriffs from GHS. Jacksons from PKY. WE want you to do well and succeed. We want you to be a star and lead our favorite team to glory. We want you go on from here and make lots of money in the NFL. You seem like a good young man with lots of athletic ability. That said, QB gets all the credit usually for wins and all the credit for losses. You had a bad game. Now move on. The great QBs leave bad plays and keep playing. I know the hard part is knowing you are it right now. No 2nd string to relieve you. Well, the majority of us believe you CAN do it. We have seen flashes of your ability. We know you have it in you to do well at UF as QB. Now, having said all this, I and a few others here are gonna say a prayer today that you quit worrying about messing up and play like you and we know you can play. AND that you stay injury free. We love you, Anthony, like we love all our gator QBs that lead us to glory. Besides Sofla said you will be fine. And that &$^## knows what he is talking about...........

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’d add this for AR…

You come along at a time we might finally be close to turning the corner. Good staff that teaches technique and fundamentals and actually thinks recruiting is a way to get better. You are a critical piece. In fact, many of us revere your talents and potential like that of a young promising surgeon. You give us hope. Just don’t f* around and let the patient die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.