Any Car Salesman or Savvy Car Shoppers?

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Honestly, I don't do any of that shyt, negotiating for hours and listing reasons, etc. I tell them what I will buy the car for and usually say $500 over what you paid for it or whatever, then give the amount. They usually start with a $5000 deal, and come back with $2500 or something bc "the sales manager is really wanting to move cars today" then I leave. They call back later. I come back when they agree to my price or slightly above. I usually go to about $750 if I want the car.

I doubt I'd even make an offer is someone gave me one of these 26k to 42k deals like Brad had. They don't sound like an honorable business in which I'd want to spend a dime.
This has been my MO also. Last deal I walked three times. I even called another dealership while in their store and put them in speaker.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I really don't care what you do with your house pets behind closed doors.
th

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NV, there really is no timing factor on selling a 15-year-old SUV.

Figure out what kind of vehicle you want, your budget and visit a number of online sources, dealers and estimators, to get a feel for the market.

Don’t feel shy to ruffle feathers during the negotiation. It’s a game. They know it. If they let you walk away, you know you’ve tested the bottom. I’d probably do that with two or three dealers before I signed a sales contract.

Good old-fashioned free enterprise. I love it.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NV, there really is no timing factor on selling a 15-year-old SUV.

Figure out what kind of vehicle you want, your budget and visit a number of online sources, dealers and estimators, to get a feel for the market.

Don’t feel shy to ruffle feathers during the negotiation. It’s a game. They know it. If they let you walk away, you know you’ve tested the bottom. I’d probably do that with two or three dealers before I signed a sales contract.

Good old-fashioned free enterprise. I love it.
Oh, I’m not trying to time the sale of my car, but the timing of purchasing a car. I figure end of month and end of year would be more motivating for the dealers. However I’m quickly realizing that there a lot of other folks doing the same, especially for tax purposes, like me.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
I'm going to look at this from my side, The "getting it fixed" side.

Be careful buying from a dealer hours away, While the dealer 5 minutes away will, And has to, Do warranty work, They may not be very "timely" about the job, And may not give a loaner.

In Brad's case he bought in Orlando and if it needs recall (It's a Ford so it will) or warranty work he'll probably end up at either Villages Ford or Ford of Ocala (unless he works in the Orlando area of course), They see Mullinax sticker and that 20 minute warranty repair may take a few hours or days...... And if a salesperson or sales manager recognizes owner's name you may be saying bye bye to a loaner.
Loaners are usually at dealer's discretion.

Of course if you guarantee high CSI numbers then they may help you along. They live and die by customer surveys. My Dad was SM at Chevy dealer and his CSI was in the 99.7% area, He got WIDE latitude on "good will" repairs and won a trip to Hawai'i because of that high number.

Most used cars at a dealer have their price on the stock sticker, Usually a 2x4 or so inch sticker that lists make, model, year and stock number, Once you decipher their numbers you'll know what they want.

Example, Stock number may be 1199953, Drop 1st and last and you'll get 19995

Oh and about the stickers, tags and tag brackets they hang all over their cars, I tell them it's 5 grand cash for them to advertise on my vehicle, they may want to take them all off..... They do.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Service work has become the most profitable part of a dealership, along w used car sales. Theyd be fools to push your dollars elsewhere. (Even warranty work gets paid by tue manufacturer.)

Sounds like Jeep works for a shytty dealership that screws people.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
You miss the point

If the dealer is having a slow day it'll get right in, If they're slammed it may get pushed back OR
They may be out of loaners for cars bought from other dealers, Loaners are usually a courtesy of the dealership.

And I don't work for a dealer, Left dealer in 1994, Have my own little place near Summerfield

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Test drove and ran credit tonight. While better than I’m getting, 4.14% vs 4.75%, I didn’t like the color. Red w/ accent of black. My frcving boys kept saying it was bulldog colors.

Till tomorrow.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Test drove and ran credit tonight. While better than I’m getting, 4.14% vs 4.75%, I didn’t like the color. Red w/ accent of black. My frcving boys kept saying it was bulldog colors.

Till tomorrow.
Smart boys

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Oh, I’m not trying to time the sale of my car, but the timing of purchasing a car. I figure end of month and end of year would be more motivating for the dealers. However I’m quickly realizing that there a lot of other folks doing the same, especially for tax purposes, like me.

End of month won’t matter much if you’re shopping pre-owned.

I could be wrong, but I think the big tax subsidies for electric cars ran out a year ago.

The main thing in my mind is balancing budget with the age of the vehicle and the warranty. Some cars are just better left alone without a warranty.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Service work has become the most profitable part of a dealership, along w used car sales. Theyd be fools to push your dollars elsewhere. (Even warranty work gets paid by tue manufacturer.)

Sounds like Jeep works for a shytty dealership that screws people.
This x1,000
I bought my 2 new Mustang GT's(2015-2018) from Ford of Clermont which is too far to go for service and my Shelby from Greenway in Orlando....I take all 3 of them to Peacock Ford which is technically my closest Ford dealer and they are more than happy to service my vehicles. They know the vehicles are modified and have no issue with that as long as I let them know upfront.
I always wait when they are being serviced and have formed good relationships with my service advisor, the service manager and even the gentleman that orders their new inventory.
I will order my new Shelby from this dealer because of the way they have treated me as a service customer first instead of being sh!tty about where I bought my current cars. Do I expect them to try and take my head off when that time comes? Absolutely. It's their job. Do they know I will walk away and likely take my service business and desirable trade in to Greenway who is about the same distance from my house. Pretty sure they know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.