Any Covid Silver Linings?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bradgator2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. bradgator2

bradgator2 Internet Bully
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $5,143
    Ratings:
    +11,510 / -86
    There has to be some.

Realizing the joy of being around your family more? Or... the opposite? :lol:
    Realizing your finances need a tune-up?
    Getting home projects done?
    Knocking out some books on your reading list?

There has to be some positive things out there. What you got?

2. Gulfstream

Gulfstream zzzzzzzzzzz
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,370
    Ratings:
    +1,512 / -19
    Booty call.

• Bammer

Bammer Serving up sh*t sandwiches
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $2,391
      Ratings:
      +5,283 / -80
      House is spotless.
      I am saving money by not eating out.
      I'm finally watching That 70s Show
      Working on my side hustle

• NavetG8r

NavetG8r Stupid
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $4,163
        Ratings:
        +13,075 / -148
        Well, the market is down. Great time to buy if you aren't expecting to drop dead within the next 10 years.

• bradgator2

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $5,143
          Ratings:
          +11,510 / -86
          For me, I think it’s realizing I’ve had it too easy for too long. I have always tried to make all the right choices with my finances, my family, my faith, and with my career. But this is different. I think it is because everything, and I mean every wrinkle, in my life has been disrupted by this. Is it insanity? I still think so. Is it irrational? I also still think so. But that doesn’t change the fact that the damn world is turned upside down.

Currently, I dont think there is any real personal financial lesson to learn (yet). Except press the issue of: emergency cash reserve.

I am very blessed my work is essential and we are full steam ahead. It has opened my eyes though to how vulnerable some other industries are. Friends who were/are very successful are sitting at home. I am specifically thinking about a plastic surgeon, dentist, real estate developer, and orthopedic surgeon. Sitting at home in a cold sweat.

My family (as in wife and daughters) are closer than ever before. There is less bickering and more “simple” time together. Back to eating dinner together at the dining room table. Not really certain why yet. I think we all have grasped that “we” are all we really got.

I know DG paints his nazi figurines and OX plays with other men’s junk. I have a lifelong hobby of numismatics that I never really had the time to spend real time on. But reconnecting with that has been a real joy and a complete escape from reality.

I’ve spent less time in front of the TV and more time just doing “stuff”. I am cycling more. I am working out more. I am eating even better.

I’m telling you guys... take advantage of this opportunity.

• maheo30

maheo30 WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $9,881
            Ratings:
            +12,345 / -159
            1. FSU's chance at their first b-ball title is gone.

2. Watching all my friends whose kids attend public school panic. For the record, I believe in home schooling. Most people I know do the same.

3. The idea that we need to stop being so dependent on China and get the hell out of there.

4. I get to do more fishing. I am killing it with bullhead catfish. I caught 5 this morning between 28-35 inches. They are hitting live finger mullet.

5. The philosophical fallacy of scientism is being exposed to those paying attention.

• Detroitgator

Detroitgator Well-Known Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $10,362
              Ratings:
              +17,072 / -100
              Perfectly said... and why I've built my life to live, and try to be able to live the rest of my life just as you describe. We are doing all the same, but for us, it's pretty much the same as life before. I am REALLY enjoying the time with my HS senior daughter home as she is leaving either this summer or in the fall depending on where she's going and it's given us time to have conversations we haven't had in three years that are more important now than ever. I'm also enjoying having Son #2 home (doing online for UF classes). Last night while working on a, yes, nazi WW2 halftrack, Son #2 was in my man cave playing Playstation games. While we were both doing our thing, we were listening to a class given to the UF Masters in Real Estate class by the man who's name is on the RE school at UF (Collier, son of former UF President Collier, now super duper zillionaire RE guy). He was asking each student, "What is your goal?" and "What are you trying to get out of this?" We spent 2.5 hours listening, pausing, and talking about each answer while discussing in depth what Son #2's goal is and what he's trying to get out of it. Magical time. Son #1 is in his rental flop house in Gainesville doing his classes online while still consulting to a company in Tampa... but even he isn't left out. While I was working here in my office this morning, and he was in his room working this morning, we fired up a FB Messenger video chat and just talked and worked together as if we were in the same room.

Brad, when we get back to "normal," don't stop with the coin collecting, it's important time for YOU... and don't stop doing the family dinners (we ALWAYS do) and talking to the kids... I know it is beyond cliche, but their time at home goes sooooo.... damnnnn... fast, and there is so much to give and explain about life.

• cover2

cover2 I've grown old
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $5,036
                Ratings:
                +8,335 / -12
                @maheo30 I definitely agree with you about the opportunity to cut several ties with China. It might not be easy initially, but the rewards will come later.

@bradgator2 We are experiencing the same thing at home with our kids since both are now back home and finishing their college semester online. It’s nice to have family meal time on a regular basis once more. If a family has the opportunity to spend more quality time together and doesn’t do it, they probably weren’t much of a family to begin with! This is a chance for many eyes to be opened.

Like @Bammer said, we aren’t eating out as much, so we’re enjoying that savings. But we still have to buy groceries and for a while the local stores stayed cleaned out. We’re lucky to have a meat wholesaler that is still pretty well-stocked, though they did say on the first day of the quarantine they sold 5000 lbs of hamburger! Nobody hoards like us Americans I guess.

Last thing, and maybe best, is that we’re getting to see that we can survive on much less of about everything. One might argue that our country was due for a good belt tightening. I fully believe we’ll come out of this mess better in the long run, but maybe with a more focused outlook.

• Like Like x 9
                • Dislike Dislike x 1
                • List
                • bradgator2

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $5,143
                  Ratings:
                  +11,510 / -86
                  Yeah. I dont think when I wrote “having it too easy, for too long” was the right choice of words. I think “not truly realizing what is right in front of me” is a little more accurate.

• Detroitgator

Detroitgator Well-Known Member
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $10,362
                    Ratings:
                    +17,072 / -100
                    Yes, I took your original words as "things we take for granted/don't realize we have"

• 5-Star Finger

5-Star Finger Apex predator of the political forum biome
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $4,816
                    Ratings:
                    +6,123 / -66
                    It's mostly in progressive hotbeds?
                    :rimshot:

Seriously, if we pay attention there are plenty. We have to get the trade situation under control. It simply isn't safe to have critical items manufactured in a non-allied country. I'm at heart a free-trade guy, but it isn't truly free trade when one nation is able to essentially wage economic war on another country via currency manipulation and market closure. Perhaps it also makes people a little more prepared in the end. More full pantries and such - maybe more focus on recapturing our local food supply chains.

• pilot-in-fla

pilot-in-fla Deplorable
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $1,779
                      Ratings:
                      +5,676 / -87
                      • Phineus Maximus

Phineus Maximus Thread Killer
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $747
                        Ratings:
                        +489 / -4
                        RE: China -- I'm hoping our CEO-in-chief will also be able to negotiate down our ~$5 Trillion debt with them. They owe us big after this shít.

• Theologator

Theologator Enchanter

Oxbucks:
                          $6,256
                          Ratings:
                          +7,056 / -96
                          I don’t think this is the apocalyptic pandemic, but maybe it is showing us that we aren’t prepared.

Our nation at every level - federal to individual - has long been overspending and under-saving. Does this wake us up? Doubtful.

China is finally getting some of the scorn it should have had for decades.

I’m fine. Neither my job or any of my kids’ jobs are at risk. No one is missing a paycheck. We’re under control financially.

What happens if we have a major hurricane this summer? Government won’t be able to swoop in and make it all better.

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $10,351
                            Ratings:
                            +18,823 / -336
                            I've met a lot more of my neighbors. Usually I go out walking the dogs and I see one or two other people along the way. Now I see dozens of folks out doing the same thing and we get to know each other a little bit from 6 feet away. Seen a lot of kindness between strangers that normally doesn't exist. Getting stuff done around the house that would never get done. Finally as others have mentioned, hopefully we emerge from this a leaner meaner nation where people understand that they can hope for the best but they have to prepare for the worst. Build a nest egg, get off the China teat, balance the budget and reign in spending, etc.

• NavetG8r

NavetG8r Stupid
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $4,163
                              Ratings:
                              +13,075 / -148
                              :exactly:

• Traumagirl

Oxbucks:
                              $258
                              Ratings:
                              +421 / -123
                              Not sure I even understand 5 but 1-4 I think are so spot on.

• Traumagirl

Oxbucks:
                                $258
                                Ratings:
                                +421 / -123
                                Have friend, her stuff makes me laugh and I need one so I will share:
                                [​IMG]

• Traumagirl

Oxbucks:
                                $258
                                Ratings:
                                +421 / -123
                                I really, I mean really hope you all are well. I pray for lots of people and everyone here , No matter if it is reciprocated. I hope this brings us all together. If there has to be so much suffering I hope it is not for nothing. That would mean all those lives lost meant...nothing...

• gardnerwebbgator

gardnerwebbgator Deplorable
                                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                  $3,692
                                  Ratings:
                                  +7,949 / -301
                                  It is now time to start making things, especially medicine and medical supplies, in this country. Period.

Problem is, those 535 useless pieces of human debris on Capitol Hill all have their bank accounts lined with Chink money.

We deport all the illegal Mexicans, and justly so. It's time to do the same to the Chinese. Revoke every damned visa of every student from China and tell them to GTFO and never come back. A good place to start. There are well over 300,000 of them enrolled in OUR colleges and universities. Send every damned one of them the **** home to that ****hole they came from.

#20 gardnerwebbgator, Apr 2, 2020
                                  Last edited: Apr 2, 2020