Any firefighters or EMTs out there? Got a question for you...

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
So the other day I'm driving down the 417. 4 lane highway with a wide central median. Speed limit is 65. I'm doing 75 like everybody else. That's the standard speed on that stretch of road. You can comfortably do that right next to a trooper with no fear.

So I come up behind a fire engine. Big one. Emergency lights flashing. In the fast lane. Doing about 61 or 62, well below the speed limit.

WTF? Slow fire? What's going on?

We are miles away from the next exit and there's nothing in the median or in the lanes going the other direction. By now there are like 4 cars right on my tail thinking the same thing as me. WTF?

It's after work. I'm tryna get home. Should I pass the fire truck? With the lights on? Nah. I can't. There's traffic in the slow lane going the same speed as the fire engine. I mean, they aren't going to pass the fire engine so they're going the same speed. It's a rolling road block.

Now I've got like 8 cars behind me.

I think maybe I should flash my brights. You know, "Hey fellas, slower traffic keep right".

What the hell?

Alex.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like some firemen were trolling to me.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n134612 said:
So the other day I'm driving down the 417. 4 lane highway with a wide central median. Speed limit is 65. I'm doing 75 like everybody else. That's the standard speed on that stretch of road. You can comfortably do that right next to a trooper with no fear.

So I come up behind a fire engine. Big one. Emergency lights flashing. In the fast lane. Doing about 61 or 62, well below the speed limit.

WTF? Slow fire? What's going on?

We are miles away from the next exit and there's nothing in the median or in the lanes going the other direction. By now there are like 4 cars right on my tail thinking the same thing as me. WTF?

It's after work. I'm tryna get home. Should I pass the fire truck? With the lights on? Nah. I can't. There's traffic in the slow lane going the same speed as the fire engine. I mean, they aren't going to pass the fire engine so they're going the same speed. It's a rolling road block.

Now I've got like 8 cars behind me.

I think maybe I should flash my brights. You know, "Hey fellas, slower traffic keep right".

What the hell?

Alex.

Maybe they were going to the engine driver's ex-wife's house?

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Slow drivers in the left lane!
pissed.gif
pissed.gif
pissed.gif

And on a side note...we need to add this emote to show extreme anger.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I put out a fire every time I get in the shower cause I'm so damn hot, but I can't help you on this one.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Get behind the firetruck and put your hazards on. Nobody can blame you, they'll think you are special and place blame on the dbag going the same speed as the firetruck in the other lane. Let someone else pass it first, then you can turn your hazards off and pass him too.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n134696 said:
I put out a fire every time I get in the shower cause I'm so damn hot, but I can't help you on this one.

I thought it was b/c of that burning sensation you have that penicilin still hasnt gotten rid of? :eek:hnoes:

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I used to do like 85-90 on the 417 so I would have been like 'what firetruck?'. Seriously though I saw numerous ambulances that would do the same thing on the 408. They must have a governor set at 60.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n134696 said:

You should use more KY.....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Big truck, probably lotsa water. 8 lbs a gallon, do the math. It goes slow especially if there is an incline. The older trucks had left internal baffles so even if you could go fast sometime you didnt' want to.

Long, long ago I was a volunteer fd. We had a tanker truck that was pretty slow and had a governor on top of that. When we got on the interstate we usually turned off the lights because 55 was about all it would do. Perhaps they should have also.

Or maybe they were looking for a particular street address or preparing to turn around. I dunno.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well while we're asking questions, why is it seems every time I go to the grocery store, the ladder truck pulls up and about 8 firemen jump out and go inside grocery shopping. You would think they would make a list and send one guy in a car.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That probably actually depends on department policy. Usually, for paid departments, if one goes, they must all go, together, and in their truck. If they get a call, they drop their bread, run to the door and get in the truck. If one guy was at the store in his personal vehicle, the response time would have to wait until this shopper left the store, drove to the station, and jumped into the truck waiting with the rest of the crew.

I wonder where you are that they have 8 guys on a truck. Most paid departments have been slashing staffing forever and run 4 or even 3 or 2 on a truck.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n135878 said:
Long, long ago I was a volunteer fd.

Dude, you are like 32 yo. Not that long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator