Any plumbers in the house?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Yesterday morning I turned on the cold water in my sink and nothing happened. Not even a single drop. Hot water worked fine. It works in the sink and tub next to it. No other issues in the house. @Seedy first took the handle off, the stem and then even replaced the shut off valve thinking the washer clogged it. Nothing. He then removed the line to the sink and turned it on and no water comes out.

Before he cuts a hole in the drywall in the basement, what else could it possibly be?

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Do you have water anywhere else in the house or is the lack of water only at that one sink?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Do you have water anywhere else in the house or is the lack of water only at that one sink?

Only issue in the whole house that we know about. We have a whole house water filter with double filtration so the water is pretty good but there are calcium deposits.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Yesterday morning I turned on the cold water in my sink and nothing happened. Not even a single drop. Hot water worked fine. It works in the sink and tub next to it. No other issues in the house. @Seedy first took the handle off, the stem and then even replaced the shut off valve thinking the washer clogged it. Nothing. He then removed the line to the sink and turned it on and no water comes out.

Before he cuts a hole in the drywall in the basement, what else could it possibly be?
I'll be very curious to hear some of our real experts weigh in, because this sounds interesting.

When your "bitter half" removed the shut off valve was there much water in it or in the supply line? And are your supply lines behind the drywall copper or PEX? And how old are they?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I'll be very curious to hear some of our real experts weigh in, because this sounds interesting.

When your "bitter half" removed the shut off valve was there much water in it or in the supply line? And are your supply lines behind the drywall copper or PEX? And how old are they?

16 years old - I don’t think there was any water in the supply line. He has blown air down the line (with the water to the house shut off) and other adjoining sinks open to see if any other lines are connected. We did take photos of the basement ceiling before putting up drywall years ago so hopefully he can find the exact line he’s looking for the first time.

His dad would have loved this puzzle. It’s baffling.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
16 years old - I don’t think there was any water in the supply line. He has blown air down the line (with the water to the house shut off) and other adjoining sinks open to see if any other lines are connected. We did take photos of the basement ceiling before putting up drywall years ago so hopefully he can find the exact line he’s looking for the first time.

His dad would have loved this puzzle. It’s baffling.
Since his sink and the tub are getting water, it has to be something in the branch line to your sink from the main, unless your sink is at the end of the line, in which case it could be in the main line between the branch to the other sink and yours. Sounds to me like somebody is going to be cutting into a wall.

Seedy

Totally not CDGator
Oct 17, 2020

Copper
The waterline was all the way to the shutoff valve. Line comes through the floor, and basement is finished.

I can remove the shutoff valve at the sink and turn on the whole-house water supply....and nothing comes out of the pipe. It's blocked 100%. and it's 100% pissing me off.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Copper
The waterline was all the way to the shutoff valve. Line comes through the floor, and basement is finished.

I can remove the shutoff valve at the sink and turn on the whole-house water supply....and nothing comes out of the pipe. It's blocked 100%. and it's 100% pissing me off.
I don't blame you. Are you good at sweating pipe? Odds are you'll be removing some copper.

When it's all fixed you may need to add a whole house water softener. These kinds of clogs tend to be mineral based (but I suspect you already knew tiat).

Seedy

Totally not CDGator
Oct 17, 2020
I don't blame you. Are you good at sweating pipe? Odds are you'll be removing some copper.

When it's all fixed you may need to add a whole house water softener. These kinds of clogs tend to be mineral based (but I suspect you already knew tiat).

Yep -- can sweat pipes. I finished the whole basement (structural, drywall, electricity, plumbing, etc.)

I built a two-stage whole-house water filter (15 micron > 5 micron).

I just can't believe it died 100% (functioning and used daily one day, and dead the next).

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

So the cold water works in the rest of the house too, just not the kitchen sink?

Seedy

Totally not CDGator
Oct 17, 2020
So the cold water works in the rest of the house too, just not the kitchen sink?

Double sinks in Master Bath (yeah yeah, "That's racist"). My side works both Hot and Cold...CDG's side doesn't have any cold. All other faucets, commodes, showers, baths, hose bibs, etc. work fine.

Have I mentioned that this is pissing me off?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Double sinks in Master Bath (yeah yeah, "That's racist"). My side works both Hot and Cold...CDG's side doesn't have any cold. All other faucets, commodes, showers, baths, hose bibs, etc. work fine.

Have I mentioned that this is pissing me off?
Faucet? Mixer?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I am not!
Oh, you mean the faucet...
lol.....
Hey I wonder if maybe the cartridge broke off in the faucet and is lodged at a bend in the pipe or something...I've had one break off(Moen)on me when changing it....one of the few times I started crying as a grown man....

Seedy

Totally not CDGator
Oct 17, 2020
lol.....
Hey I wonder if maybe the cartridge broke off in the faucet and is lodged at a bend in the pipe or something...I've had one break off(Moen)on me when changing it....one of the few times I started crying as a grown man....

Anything is possible.

I attempted to force air from that sink to the one next to it by removing the shutoff valve on the failing sink and opening the cold water on the working sink. NADA -- It's crazy. No water sputtered out of the good side...it acted like it was completely blocked (much like it acts with City-water pressure).

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Cold water is over-rated. I can brush my teeth with hot water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator