Any plumbers in the house?

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Speaking of advice, did you ever get the lights in your pool enclosure taped up to the ceiling?

All done! Looks great too. Can't wait to go swimming under the lights.

All I needed was some lights:
iu

Power:
iu

And some of the good stuff:
iu

Might dive in tonight:
iu

What could possibly go wrong?
iu

Alex.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Just now saw this thread. I am amazed, and a bit disappointed for Seedy, that CD finally broke something that he couldn't fix. Had to do a work-around... :faint:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I would still be concerned about the clogged line. If it is due to calcium build up then it could also eventually cause a leak I believe.
Copper like you will break down over time. Calcium on it's own won't cause a leak in copper however descaling copper pipe with sulfamic acid could uncover or reveal pinholes that will leak. I would be curious to determine what caused the blockage. Calcium sediments typically occur first around heating elements in water heaters which could theoretically break away and eventually stop a pipe or fitting up. Many new water heaters come equipped with a long copper rod installed in them to attract the buildup away from the elements. A lot of folks in the industry recommend draining a tank and changing the lower elements periodically to prevent this from occurring. It doesn't always extend the life of the tank though as they also rust out from the inside or at it's threaded connections welded into the tank.

It's also possible that at some point in the houses's life someone may have joined connectors or pipes in the water system with dissimilar metals (galvanized or black iron which is actually steel) to the copper or to the top of the water heater which causes electrolysis (green and or white corrosion. If this corrosion is inside it could break away and cause a clog.

Another possibility I mentioned earlier was possibly during the last remodel a piece of solder OR a piece of trash (think drywall chunk) dropped inside the pipe. Whatever it was would typically find it's way to the 3/8" supply or inside the angle stop termination. One final scenario is the angle stop itself could have a faulty seat and washer or miniature nylon ball valve that doesn't open.
@Seedy-are you guys on a well or city or county water?

Seedy

Totally not CDGator
Oct 17, 2020
Copper like you will break down over time. Calcium on it's own won't cause a leak in copper however descaling copper pipe with sulfamic acid could uncover or reveal pinholes that will leak. I would be curious to determine what caused the blockage. Calcium sediments typically occur first around heating elements in water heaters which could theoretically break away and eventually stop a pipe or fitting up. Many new water heaters come equipped with a long copper rod installed in them to attract the buildup away from the elements. A lot of folks in the industry recommend draining a tank and changing the lower elements periodically to prevent this from occurring. It doesn't always extend the life of the tank though as they also rust out from the inside or at it's threaded connections welded into the tank.

It's also possible that at some point in the houses's life someone may have joined connectors or pipes in the water system with dissimilar metals (galvanized or black iron which is actually steel) to the copper or to the top of the water heater which causes electrolysis (green and or white corrosion. If this corrosion is inside it could break away and cause a clog.

Another possibility I mentioned earlier was possibly during the last remodel a piece of solder OR a piece of trash (think drywall chunk) dropped inside the pipe. Whatever it was would typically find it's way to the 3/8" supply or inside the angle stop termination. One final scenario is the angle stop itself could have a faulty seat and washer or miniature nylon ball valve that doesn't open.

All copper.

About 16 year old house, copper same age

We are on city water.

again, I’m baffled how it can go from 100%flow to 0% flow overnight.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

I guess debris from construction in the line is possible but it’s the other side of the house and we didn’t touch any water lines for the new office. Doesn’t make sense.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Maybe that will be 2 years from now and we won’t be there. :lol:
From previous experience I can tell you it will happen right before you put the house on the market or right before the inspection that’s part of a great offer you’ve accepted. I’ve had both.

Seedy

Totally not CDGator
Oct 17, 2020
Chorine reaction on copper? Is your faucet close to the last of the line and does it get more use? :dunno:
End of that line: Entirely possible.

chlorine reaction on copper -- would that happen in 18 years?

Again, how the hell does it block 100%? I may have to cut open the drywall to ease my curious mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator