Any Reloaders on the board?

AvgJoe

Nov 14, 2017
Are there any reloaders here?
If so, what calibers do you hand load and what press are you using?

I do .223/5.56, 38 special, 357 mag, 9 mm on a Lee turret.
I do 6.5 creedmoor on a single stage Lee

AvgJoe

Nov 14, 2017
i’m loaded with powder, projectiles, and brass.... but my primer supply is almost gone.

i’d kill for a few 1000 small pistol and small rifle primers. i only have a 1000 9mm loaded and 1300 .223 on the shelf.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
i’m loaded with powder, projectiles, and brass.... but my primer supply is almost gone.

i’d kill for a few 1000 small pistol and small rifle primers. i only have a 1000 9mm loaded and 1300 .223 on the shelf.
You'll be waiting a long, long, time. ;)

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Got a pair of Dillon 550's, one for large primers and one for small primers. I mostly load handgun anmo, but do have toolhead set up for 223.

9mm, 38 Super, 38 special, 45 acp, 44 special and 45 Colt.

I have the dies and conversion kit for 41 mag/special, but have not loaded any yet.

I have an RCBS Partner single stage for odd jobs.

I have MEC 600 Jr for 20 Guage, but have not used it in several years.

AvgJoe

Nov 14, 2017
Got a pair of Dillon 550's, one for large primers and one for small primers.

Are those 550C’s? I was gifted my Lee turret otherwise I would have jumped on a Dillon.

I primarily use my single stage for decapping prior to sizing. I usually wet tumble with pins, decap, then polish in a dry tumbler.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Are those 550C’s? I was gifted my Lee turret otherwise I would have jumped on a Dillon.

I primarily use my single stage for decapping prior to sizing. I usually wet tumble with pins, decap, then polish in a dry tumbler.
Mine are B's, bought them prior to the C being introduced.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Roughly speaking, how expensive is it to get into reloading? I have .308, .380, .45, and 9 mm that I would possibly like to start reloading. Someone please provide a list of equipment/tools/etc. need to get started?

AvgJoe

Nov 14, 2017
you’ll need a press. you can start with a single stage so you get familiar with the process. i still do my precision rounds for my 6.5 creedmoor on a single stage. you can find them all day for $100

die sets for each caliber can range from $40 whatever you want to spend.

you’ll need a powder scale to measure the powder charges. simple beam scale are good to have and are very accurate. $50

case prep is also important. you’ll want to either wet or dry tumble the brass. either way you’re looking anywhere from $70-$150
for necked rifle brass you’ll need to be prepared to trim the length because they will stretch. you’ll need to chamfer, deburr, and clean primer pockets. so lyman and others have these various items. in all you can spend over $100 for a case prep station or go cheap for individual pieces and do them by hand for $50.

digital calipers are a must for checking case lenghts and overall measurement of the projectile.

go/no go chambering gauge for each caliper.

the list can go as expensive as you want. but as a beginner it’s really about understanding what each step does. it is a precise hobby and one where i am 100% focused. one mistake can lead to a bad day on the range.

i’ve had 3 squib loads in 100,000 reloads. 2 knew instantly but the the other one i shot another and blew the grips off of sig and was fortunate to not suffer and physical damage.

if you choose to start,there is a cz forum where the reloading section provides the most comprehensive information you can find. it’s moderated by a guy names wobbly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb