Anybody taking advantage of Coronavirus?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
To you and @78 ...

Sorry I wasn't totally clear. I'm looking at this...

Daily Treasury Yield Curve Rates

It shows what you are saying in your last paragraph about the 3 mo and the 10 yr.

What I am really looking at is the "triangle" forming in the bottom left corner of the table where you draw a rough line from the March 1st 1 month down and over to the March 20th 7 and even 10 yr. I'm not worried about "flat" or even "inverted"... i'm looking at the steady march to "zero" which is basically everything to the left of the "line" I said to draw, and it's steadily moving to the right. At the beginning of the year, we had a fairly "normal" curve, just at low rates.

It’s unusual but not unprecedented. Toggle the chart to 2009. The yield on the 1-mo similarly bottoms out.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
now you're thinking like a prepper! ;)

At least it looks like RCL is trying to form a bottom!

Who knows. I should probably clarify that I have not purchased a lot of any of this stuff. A handful of stocks here and there with all basically play money. No different than playing the tables in Vegas. Even got a little more of RCL at $19.98. It makes this whole ride more fun.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Who knows. I should probably clarify that I have not purchased a lot of any of this stuff. A handful of stocks here and there with all basically play money. No different than playing the tables in Vegas. Even got a little more of RCL at $19.98. It makes this whole ride more fun.
Just make sure that you are "that guy" and only talk about the ones you bought with a basis of $19.98! ;)

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just make sure that you are "that guy" and only talk about the ones you bought with a basis of $19.98! ;)

So there is a coworker of mine who I analyze the crap out of all the 401k options we have. We have always semi-joked about what we would do regarding possible election results this fall. What I am pissed at myself about is... I just kinda forgot about all that during this. Some people are furious with some politicians for moving some stuff around a few months ago. Hell, I should have too. I knew better I just didnt even think about it. Now the real struggle is: do I go ahead and cut all loses to prevent any more. With a click of the button, I could move everything to a 0.02% fixed fund. Or just close my eyes and ride it down. I dont mind the new contributions buying into my existing choices.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So there is a coworker of mine who I analyze the crap out of all the 401k options we have. We have always semi-joked about what we would do regarding possible election results this fall. What I am pissed at myself about is... I just kinda forgot about all that during this. Some people are furious with some politicians for moving some stuff around a few months ago. Hell, I should have too. I knew better I just didnt even think about it. Now the real struggle is: do I go ahead and cut all loses to prevent any more. With a click of the button, I could move everything to a 0.02% fixed fund. Or just close my eyes and ride it down. I dont mind the new contributions buying into my existing choices.

I thought about that early last week....but the week before the market went down on Monday - up on Tuesday - down on Wed - back up on Thurs - and down on Friday. So I was thinking, "WTF? It'll be okay.." and I didn't move anything. Right now I feel like "it's too late". So, I'm just adding from my cash that I moved aside into my TSP and my Roth.

I also just bought $3000 worth of USAA S&P 500 mutual fund and set up a 'every other Monday' (26x year) $120 auto investment. I figure the S&P is sitting where it was 4 years ago. It's a steal!!! :D

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Isn't jobs report day tomorrow. Prepare for a big red day.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Isn't jobs report day tomorrow. Prepare for a big red day.

Weekly jobless claims. Jobs report is first Friday of every month. Be that as it may the number came in at just over 3 Million, which was within the predictions. A big # yes, but it was expected. I don;t think this means a big red day by any means b/c it was already known. The chances that the day is down would b/c we had 2 green days in a row.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Here's how I should take advantage of it given the $2T bailout...

1. I'm a small business.
  2. I'm going to run down to my branch of Bank of America and score me one of these loans.
  3. I do not currently pay myself payroll, I take quarterly dividends (i do pay my wife so we can deduct healthcare premiums).
  4. I'm going to "hire" myself at the max allowable of $100K/year.
  5. I'm not going to fire myself.
  6. Loan turns into a grant and I don't have to pay loan back.
  7. Winning.

Jun 2, 2015
Royal Caribbean took a nose dive and I just purchased 300 more shares. If you have a minimum of 100 shares you qualify for VIP treatment on cruises.

Update: Well, Royal Caribbean went up, so I sold the 300 shares & made some money, then it tanked again today. Wow, luckyi....I took that money & bought more disney which I think will come back a lot faster than the cruise lines.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Update: Well, Royal Caribbean went up, so I sold the 300 shares & made some money, then it tanked again today. Wow, luckyi....I took that money & bought more disney which I think will come back a lot faster than the cruise lines.

I’d be shocked if the cruise lines companies come back as a whole. There may be some consolidation and a few bright spots, but it’s been an outdated model for some time, which is why you see the clientele and average age group utilizing the service. They’re the hibachi grill of vacationing, especially once airlines and hotels drop their pricing even further post all this.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Here's how I should take advantage of it given the $2T bailout...

1. I'm a small business.
  2. I'm going to run down to my branch of Bank of America and score me one of these loans.
  3. I do not currently pay myself payroll, I take quarterly dividends (i do pay my wife so we can deduct healthcare premiums).
  4. I'm going to "hire" myself at the max allowable of $100K/year.
  5. I'm not going to fire myself.
  6. Loan turns into a grant and I don't have to pay loan back.
  7. Winning.

Detroit, can you explain this in further detail? My wife is self-employed (she's an acupuncturist - she works at a chiro office and sees about 8-10 patients/day). She's taking time off, but could keep working but feels uncomfortable being that close to some of these people. Anyhow - how would this model you proposed work for someone in her position?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Detroit, can you explain this in further detail? My wife is self-employed (she's an acupuncturist - she works at a chiro office and sees about 8-10 patients/day). She's taking time off, but could keep working but feels uncomfortable being that close to some of these people. Anyhow - how would this model you proposed work for someone in her position?
It wouldn't help her unless she's a business, but her employer could. Again, I haven't looked at all details because I doubt I do it, but I could.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It wouldn't help her unless she's a business, but her employer could. Again, I haven't looked at all details because I doubt I do it, but I could.

She's her own business, LLC. The chiro that owns the office gets 40% cut of her business (but she gets a ton of referrals from the chiro's there and doesn't pay rent or other expenses of owning a business).

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
She's her own business, LLC. The chiro that owns the office gets 40% cut of her business (but she gets a ton of referrals from the chiro's there and doesn't pay rent or other expenses of owning a business).
She should ask her bank or accountant. She'd qualify

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
So, my two bit update:

1. Oil still in shambles, down another almost 6% today. My downside target when shorting was $25-$27 (but got totally out at $30), so we're well below that.
  2. Bond yields still in shambles.
  3. Still 1500 pts below the 200 day EMA (not DMA) on the Dow.
Until the first two stabilize and the third one changes, I ain't sweatin missing any of this "awesome" upside in stocks

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Can't disagree with you at all @Detroitgator . If it were not for the Kung Flu, all we would be talking about is the price of oil and what a disaster it is for everything except retail gas prices, below $1/gallon in some states. But the toll it is going to take on many companies and their employees is endless. I do not see any hope of rates going up as long as the FED has now stabilized the credit markets. A week ago you could buy preferreds for 60-70 cents on the dollar and even some AAA muni bonds went below par. Well that has ended, the easy money has been made and now we are back to square one, which is now Kung Flu and shrugging off was is going to be months of horrendous economic numbers that get released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator