Anybody taking advantage of Coronavirus?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I see problems with GDP and consumer spending, add to that a certain upcoming increase in tax rates and now a mutating virus....there's a trap door somewhere around here....

As always, the deficit and the fate of the USD as the reserve currency if we don’t start addressing it.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
As always, the deficit and the fate of the USD as the reserve currency if we don’t start addressing it.

100% correct, but here is what the DUMS do not totally understand. They are all for MMT and say deficits do not matter and that all you have to do is keep printing money b/c one, rates are super low and two, the USD is the worlds's reserve currency. Here is the thing the DUMS do not quite get. A country does not just say "Hey we are the world's currency". The rest of world basically selects those fiat currencies. And rest assured it can be taken away very quickly.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
100% correct, but here is what the DUMS do not totally understand. They are all for MMT and say deficits do not matter and that all you have to do is keep printing money b/c one, rates are super low and two, the USD is the worlds's reserve currency. Here is the thing the DUMS do not quite get. A country does not just say "Hey we are the world's currency". The rest of world basically selects those fiat currencies. And rest assured it can be taken away very quickly.

MMT essentially subscribes to the defeatist mindset that since we’re going down the tube, we might as well go down together. As such it ensures a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Money was intended as a means of barter, not as a deferred payment.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
MMT essentially subscribes to the defeatist mindset that since we’re going down the tube, we might as well go down together. As such it ensures a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Money was intended as a means of barter, not as a deferred payment.

I mentioned earlier that I do this every time I drop a :kiffin:. I have determined that there is no longer a trade off between the dollar and TP. During these times the TP has much more value, thus I have chosen to flush the dollars :lmao2:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
R1ed4b9d2d719571364a79e69147f45ff

Mining stocks...check
Gold stock…..check
LT's.....check minus dumbass 10yr...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I just bought VXX as soon as the news of the protest inside the capital building was announced......

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Surprisingly, the market stabilized a bit after the capital building peaceful protest....so I sold the VXX for a quick $310...it was up over $400 for a while.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I found this interesting b/c this guy is always the ultra uber bull regardless of what is going on. find it interesting that for the first time he seems a bit concerned of the gov't/FED doing too much.

The Leuthold Group’s Jim Paulsen sees trouble lurking as investors embrace growing odds of another stimulus package.

Even though the long-time bull acknowledges massive aid has been necessary to steer the U.S. through the coronavirus crisis, he’s worried too much spending will spark sharp inflation. In a recent note, Paulsen called it the “most significant risk beyond this year.”

“What latent unintended consequences is it going to lead to? It could lead to more rapid inflation which would necessitate more rapid tightening,” the firm’s chief investment strategist told CNBC’s “Trading Nation” on Tuesday. “It could lead to a loss in world confidence and U.S. government finances.”

Paulsen, who oversees about $1 billion, notes it’s ironic the one thing designed to help people navigate the pandemic may spark another serious recession.

“It’s the overuse and abuse of economic policies around the globe for that matter — but specifically in the United States,” said Paulsen.

For now, he’s telling clients it’s premature take action against potential inflation. Paulsen acknowledges there are certain factors that could offset the impact such as aging demographics and tech-driven innovation.

“I would stay bullish this year. Stay invested. But you may want to think about increasing risks from latent policy prescriptions as we move towards the end of the year,” Paulsen said. “It becomes a bigger risk as we get into 2022, ’23 and ’24.”

Paulsen expects the S&P 500 to end this year at 4,100, which implies an 8% increase from Tuesday’s close.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
BA, RTX, XOM, SUN, AXP, C, WFC, fintech stuff, BMF's recommended AGNC, Plug... having a nice month

AGNC has made a nice run up. I finally sold off some of it today, I had a sell order in at $16.05 (I opened my account and saw a big cash dump and wondered what in the hell had happened). I was making over $100/month in dividends, it's been a great stock for me for 10+ years.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AGNC has made a nice run up. I finally sold off some of it today, I had a sell order in at $16.05 (I opened my account and saw a big cash dump and wondered what in the hell had happened). I was making over $100/month in dividends, it's been a great stock for me for 10+ years.

Not doing too bad, I am up 17%.

I got in early on PLUG now up 477% (damn daughter is up 1700%). BLDP is up 110%.

I took a big chunk out of Intel a few weeks ago and am already up 31%.

Daughter sniffed out a farm raised salmon producer called AquaBounty. AQB. I have learned to listen to her. So that's already up 19%.

I am huge believer in the fintech SOFI. All of my "banking" products are through them now. They just announced they are going public through a SPAC merger with IPOE. So I went in pretty big on that and I am already up 15%.

Watching MARA and RIOT like a hawk, but do not own any.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Not doing too bad, I am up 17%.

I got in early on PLUG now up 477% (damn daughter is up 1700%). BLDP is up 110%.

I took a big chunk out of Intel a few weeks ago and am already up 31%.

Daughter sniffed out a farm raised salmon producer called AquaBounty. ACB. I have learned to listed to her. So that's already up 19%.

I am huge believer in the fintech SOFI. All of my "banking" products are through them now. They just announced they are going public through a SPAC merger with IPOE. So I went in pretty big on that and I am already up 15%.

Watching MARA and RIOT like a hawk, but do not own any.

Sounds like you're killing it. I've had a nice run, but just got crushed on SEOVF - it was up big and I kept adding shares....and it's dropped quite a bit. I'm long, so hopefully it comes back (I'm down 21% or so).

I've done a lot of 'risky' investing the last 4+ months and have done well with it. I want to sort of clean that up (sell them off) and stick to the bluechips while we see what happens w/ this new administration.

I made a ton on MARA, got back in and I'm down a bit right now. It moves very closely w/ bitcoin, so it's very volatile. I'm in ETHE also, another very volatile mover.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like you're killing it. I've had a nice run, but just got crushed on SEOVF - it was up big and I kept adding shares....and it's dropped quite a bit. I'm long, so hopefully it comes back (I'm down 21% or so).

I've done a lot of 'risky' investing the last 4+ months and have done well with it. I want to sort of clean that up (sell them off) and stick to the bluechips while we see what happens w/ this new administration.

I made a ton on MARA, got back in and I'm down a bit right now. It moves very closely w/ bitcoin, so it's very volatile. I'm in ETHE also, another very volatile mover.

I cant complain.

I've got 2 losers going.

Barrick Gold (GOLD), down 10%. This will be a long hold. And Coke (KO), down 8%. Another long hold. Big solid names that aint doing shiit.

I was doing great on some oil (KRP, FANG, SU, XOM, SUN)... but I am wondering if I should sell all that with the new administration and just take all the profit.

My ARKG, ARKF, and ARKQ are just crushing it.

Cathie Wood is talking about putting ARKX together which would be focused on space exploration. I will put a very large chunk of money into that when it happens.

Palihapitiya is also talking about putting an ETF together. I think he will be my generation's Buffet. So I am keeping my ear to the ground on that. Could be the next Berkshire Hathaway-like ticker.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
INTC as of 20 minutes ago :yes:

Made $1.5B more than predicted in the 4th Q and raised their dividend.

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Son #1 got in on the Game Stop thing today. Not sure of the details (I'm busy), but he read something on Reddit last night, watched it this morning and got in at around $80 something, dumped around $139. It was up 93% today, and is up another 55% in after hours. He's happy he dumped, but he coulda helped a brotha out and told me this morning what he was doing!!!! Ungrateful bastards!

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Son #1 got in on the Game Stop thing today. Not sure of the details (I'm busy), but he read something on Reddit last night, watched it this morning and got in at around $80 something, dumped around $139. It was up 93% today, and is up another 55% in after hours. He's happy he dumped, but he coulda helped a brotha out and told me this morning what he was doing!!!! Ungrateful bastards!

I'm hearing that something similar is planned for BBBY, but I don't know if it's true. It was up 20% today, and another 19% in after hours trading, so it's hard to say if it will have similar wind in its sails as GME did.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I'm hearing that something similar is planned for BBBY, but I don't know if it's true. It was up 20% today, and another 19% in after hours trading, so it's hard to say if it will have similar wind in its sails as GME did.
Yes, Blackberry too, same kind of issue.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Yes, Blackberry too, same kind of issue.

AMC is also a topic for the same maneuver on Reddit's forum. Closed today at 4.96 (+12%), but is at 6.75 in after hours trading (up another 36% in after hours trading). Might be a good play for long call options around 60 days out.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
AMC is also a topic for the same maneuver on Reddit's forum. Closed today at 4.96 (+12%), but is at 6.75 in after hours trading (up another 36% in after hours trading). Might be a good play for long call options around 60 days out.
His portfolio was $2M three weeks ago, $50K a year ago. This is it today, all on GSE plays... 20210126_185332.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator