Anybody taking advantage of Coronavirus?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
until there is a consistent and significant shift downward, with some actual fundamentals looking at us, i'm not falling for it. Most or all losses will probably be recouped by the end of the week...sans travel stocks

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
until there is a consistent and significant shift downward, with some actual fundamentals looking at us, i'm not falling for it. Most or all losses will probably be recouped by the end of the week...sans travel stocks

Good call

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Another Fed meeting and another Powell and Co.

it's going to go to shyt one way or the other. there is nothing this admin is doing that kicking the can will help, only going to make the kick in the pants that much worse when it happens.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Another Fed meeting and another Powell and Co.
I'm no fan of Powell but I think if you read between the lines he basically told us in code that the whole "transitory" inflation thing is a load of BS...remember by their own words they were shooting for 2% inflation and are admitting by what are usually doctored numbers that it is at 6%...the highest in almost 50 years...and yet we still have 9 million job openings :dunno:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Amazon is down 7% today. I added one share. AMZN and APPL are a few of the only stocks I've been buying the this year.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Market is set to take a small crash this morning.....

Evergrande contagion threat hits global stock market
Debt crisis is wreaking havoc on Hong Kong’s stock market
European markets sink 2%…
Investors prepare for Fed meeting
Bitcoin drops 4% in less than 30 minutes…

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
F9299E3E-9356-44A5-AD76-6696A1BA6F16.jpeg

What is a Reverse Repurchase Agreement
A reverse repurchase agreement, or "reverse repo", is the purchase of securities with the agreement to sell them at a higher price at a specific future date. For the party selling the security (and agreeing to repurchase it in the future) it is a repurchase agreement (RP) or repo; for the party on the other end of the transaction (buying the security and agreeing to sell in the future) it is a reverse repurchase agreement (RRP) or reverse repo.

Repos are classified as a money-market instrument, and they are usually used to raise short-term capital.

Reverse Repurchase Agreement Definition

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
Just happy that the Fed chiefs got caught and had to sell their stocks earlier this month.

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
Can someone explain what this all means?

Something, something... China... something, something... Evergrande... something, something... due for a correction... something, something... bitcoin fixes this... something, something... buy the fcking dip...

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Well at least my gold was up today.... caught wind of this looking at the pre market this morning and thought I had dumped enough regular stocks to come out alright on everything else...:suicide:I'm dumping everything except a retirement fund and gold in my private portfolio tomorrow if it looks the same...even my AMC and semi's stock...it's on for real this time.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Without going too deep in the weeds. when the FED is doing it's QE and buying Treasurys and MTGE backed securities to the tune of 120 Billion a month, they are in essence putting money into the system, thus the talk of how much liquidity there is in the system and it has to go somewhere. But since the banks, etc. are sitting on way too much money they have to do something with it and it has come to the point where the FED has to basically take the money out of the system nightly in the form of these reverse repos

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Without going too deep in the weeds. when the FED is doing it's QE and buying Treasurys and MTGE backed securities to the tune of 120 Billion a month, they are in essence putting money into the system, thus the talk of how much liquidity there is in the system and it has to go somewhere. But since the banks, etc. are sitting on way too much money they have to do something with it and it has come to the point where the FED has to basically take the money out of the system nightly in the form of these reverse repos

Correct this if it is wrong:

In theory, for the economy:

• Reverse Repos = slightly less “money” in circulation
  • Less money in circulation is slightly deflationary
In theory, for the equities markets:

• Less money in circulation means less money looking for a place to be invested
  • Less investment money means slower equities market price growth, or downward pressure on the market prices

The question is, are these reverse repos significant enough to move either one?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Correct this if it is wrong:

In theory, for the economy:

• Reverse Repos = slightly less “money” in circulation
  • Less money in circulation is slightly deflationary
In theory, for the equities markets:

• Less money in circulation means less money looking for a place to be invested
  • Less investment money means slower equities market price growth, or downward pressure on the market prices

The question is, are these reverse repos significant enough to move either one?

In my opinion, right now the answer is no. There is such an excess in the system, which is why these huge often reverse repo's are occurring. If you listen to anyone on the blower, they all say that liquidity is one of the main reasons they remain bullish on stocks. Even when the FED tapers, they will still be adding money monthly. It will take them 6+months just to not be adding excess liquidity. Some (myself included) don;t think they will ever finish tapering. I contend the window was wide open 12 months ago and is beginning to close and fast.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
In my opinion, right now the answer is no. There is such an excess in the system, which is why these huge often reverse repo's are occurring. If you listen to anyone on the blower, they all say that liquidity is one of the main reasons they remain bullish on stocks. Even when the FED tapers, they will still be adding money monthly. It will take them 6+months just to not be adding excess liquidity. Some (myself included) don;t think they will ever finish tapering. I contend the window was wide open 12 months ago and is beginning to close and fast.
10YR is up about 25 basis points over the last 2 weeks. Could this be the beginning? Nasdaq is throwing a fit....

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
10YR is up about 25 basis points over the last 2 weeks. Could this be the beginning? Nasdaq is throwing a fit....

That is a very swift move in that short a period of time. The 5 yr. has been on a tear. Over the weekend and early this week is the first time that the people who matter at the FED have verbally said that Inflation is going to be around longer than they hoped or thought. They screwed themselves when they kept saying transitory, which in the financial community is a shorter time frame than temporary. Hell everything is temporary eventually. Interest rates have been going down for 40+ years, but they stopped going down finally, so yes that was temporary!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.