Anyone else find players signing one-day contracts to retire with teams ridiculous?

Is signing 1-day contracts to retire with a certain team ridiculous?

• Yes

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 27 69.2%

• Total voters

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This just came up because Jordy Nelson signed a one-day contract with the Packers. This has annoyed me for years. A player leaves a team in free agency to go somewhere else, yet when he's ready to retire, he signs a one-day contract with his old team so he can "retire as a X".

It's ridiculous.

It's retarded.

It's almost as dumb as the Brits "knighting" some idiot entertainer and then calling him "Sir" for the rest of his life. Embarrassing.

Jordy Nelson, you didn't retire as a Packer. You retired as a Raider. Signing a piece of paper for no money doesn't change anything. This meaningless symbolic gesture really makes you feel better? Grow up, idiot. This practice should be made illegal.

Discuss.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
In the distant past, it was exclusively for star who spent the majority of their career with one team. That gives the one day contract some meaning. Now, even kickers and fullbacks get them. I don't get the purpose of them any more.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
In the distant past, it was exclusively for star who spent the majority of their career with one team. That gives the one day contract some meaning. Now, even kickers and fullbacks get them. I don't get the purpose of them any more.
It's dumb for anyone, in my view. Does Joe Montana need to sign a one-day contract so he can "retire a 49er"? Of course not, he and everyone else know that Montana spent his best years on the 49ers. Just find it silly.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I wonder if the Steelers will let Chris Rainey sign a one-day contract with them when he retires from the CFL? :D

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
This is about as ridiculous as a politician "joining" a party just to get elected.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's pretty stupid but harmless...he doesn't need to retire as a Packer for everyone to remember him as a Packer great. Nobody is going to remember that year in Oakland...he is/was a Packer. Same with the others it's kind of ridiculous but it's used to honor them and let them have their day so whatever.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I'm fine with it. If I put myself in the shoes of someone like that who spent a career in a sport, I'd want to 'retire' under the one I felt closest to. You don't like it? Don't get one. But screw you if you feel the need to dictate what others can or can't do.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is this all because GatorSports forums wouldn't sign you to a one day deal so you can retire?

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well this screws up my plans. I was going to join another Gator forum for a little while and then come back here and sign in for one day and retire as a Gattorchatterer. I guess that would be bad form.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
What's dumber in my opinion, I heard years ago that the Dallas Cowboys still have the rights to Roger Staubach should he come out of retirement. At one time, the Cowboys once considered signing Terry Bradshaw in the 90's had he come out of retirement.
It was sometime in the early to mid 90's when I read about it in the Florida Times Union paper.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What's dumber in my opinion, I heard years ago that the Dallas Cowboys still have the rights to Roger Staubach should he come out of retirement. At one time, the Cowboys once considered signing Terry Bradshaw in the 90's had he come out of retirement.
It was sometime in the early to mid 90's when I read about it in the Florida Times Union paper.

If they retire with years still left on their contract they still have the rights... That's just the CBA... Now the Cowboys signing Terry Bradshaw in the 90's is just bad management.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm fine with it. If I put myself in the shoes of someone like that who spent a career in a sport, I'd want to 'retire' under the one I felt closest to. You don't like it? Don't get one. But screw you if you feel the need to dictate what others can or can't do.
Oh brother.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Were you as upset when Walton brought Barnhill back in to throw one pitch and then taken out to her well deserved standing O?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Were you as upset when Walton brought Barnhill back in to throw one pitch and then taken out to her well deserved standing O?
How in the name of God is that even in the same stratosphere of the same thing?

You really are drunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb