Anyone have a favorite Bar-b-que Sauce

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n5918 said:
Live not far from the Brandon location...been wanting to try it. I've been by there a couple of times during lunch hour and the line is WAY out the door!
I took my kids to a birthday party in Brandon. A place with a bunch of bouncy houses. But there was this little Cuban restaurant in the strip mall. Absolutely fantastic. And affordable. Address: 723 W Lumsden Rd, Brandon, FL 33511

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The mustard-based Southern Gold sauce from Maurice Bessinger's Piggie Park restaurants down in SC is real good, but his ties to the Klan, etc. pretty much killed any chance of finding it in retail outlets anywhere, although his grandsons have taken over the business and are trying to distance themselves from that.

Locally, Red Bridges BBQ Lodge is the best sauce in these parts, but you can only get it at the restaurant.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The sauce recipe from an old drive-in in my hometown has served me well. Similar to a couple from a few pages back:

(Makes a lot. Have some mason jars handy if you try it)

1 gal. ketchup
1/2 gal. yellow mustard
2 sticks of butter (not margerine)
1 large bottle worcestershire
1 small bottle of tabasco (less or more depending on your personal tolerance level)
1 cup of lemon juice (fresh is best, but the bottle kind ins't bad)
1 cup of sugar (can substitute brown sugar, just use a little more)
1-1/2 cup vinegar
Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste (I use quite a bit of pepper)

Mix ingredients in a large pot, stirring until well combined. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for one hour, stirring frequently. If you put it in jars immediately, it should seal. It is kind of an old fashioned taste, but goes real well on pulled pork, etc.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
cover2;n8053 said:
The sauce recipe from an old drive-in in my hometown has served me well. Similar to a couple from a few pages back:

(Makes a lot. Have some mason jars handy if you try it)

1 gal. ketchup
1/2 gal. yellow mustard
2 sticks of butter (not margerine)
1 large bottle worcestershire
1 small bottle of tabasco (less or more depending on your personal tolerance level)
1 cup of lemon juice (fresh is best, but the bottle kind ins't bad)
1 cup of sugar (can substitute brown sugar, just use a little more)
1-1/2 cup vinegar
Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste (I use quite a bit of pepper)

Mix ingredients in a large pot, stirring until well combined. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for one hour, stirring frequently. If you put it in jars immediately, it should seal. It is kind of an old fashioned taste, but goes real well on pulled pork, etc.

That looks like a good recipe to try. I have cut it down to a smaller batch size to try. I have a program that does it for me.

Cover2 Bar-b-que Sauce

4 cups ketchup
2 cups yellow mustard
1/4 cup real butter
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
2 1/2 tablespoons tabasco sauce
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup granulated sugar (if brown sugar use more)
1/4 cup white vinegar
Salt,black pepper and garlic powder to taste

Mix ingredients in a large pot, stirring until well combined.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for one hour, stirring frequently.
If you put it in jars immediately, it should seal.
It is kind of an old fashioned taste, but goes real well on pulled pork, etc.

I will try it and let you know how I like it. Thanks

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think any good cooked bbq doesn't need any sauce. If you put sauce on my ribs I'd be offended.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Sweet baby ray's...Pat's Ho-Made is awesome...Sticky Fingers..

The best rub eva is Slap ya mama Hot rub...off the freaking chain!!!!

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've heard Slap yo Momma is good stuff. And welcome T...I haven't seen you posting for a long time

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter;n8448 said:
I've heard Slap yo Momma is good stuff. And welcome T...I haven't seen you posting for a long time

I put that rubb on pork chops and steaks...my my...it is so hot...you'll slap ya mama...lol. Thanks. Great to be back.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Has anyone ever been to First Choice near Brandon...that place has some mean ass bbq.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182;n5842 said:
1st Choice BBQ in Brandon or Plant City. Food and sauces are excellent. Black owned and everyone knows they make the best B-Q

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n8404 said:
I think any good cooked bbq doesn't need any sauce. If you put sauce on my ribs I'd be offended.

Mine also but this topic is about bar-b-que joints and sauces.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good recipe, I have made many gallons of it.

Leonard's Barbecue on Old Highway 51 South in Memphis.

Old Memphis recipe
1 3/4 cups chopped cnion
4 cups ketchup
2 cups water
1/2 cup chili powder
3 teaspoons dry mustard
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
4 cups red wine vinegar
1 pound dark brown sugar
2/3 cup paprika
3 whole bay leaves
1/2 cup crushed red pepper

Combine all ingreients in a large container. Bring to a boil and turn off immediately Do not cook after boiling point! The sauce will be very thin. Cool and put into containers with tight-fitting lids. Store for 30 days to age. When ready for use, leave open only what will be used. Once sauce is opened to the air, it will thicken immediately. Use on pork loin , or also great on chicken, beef, shrimp, etc.

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I love all types of American BBQ sauces, but I'm also a big fan of Cuban mojo criollo as a marinade and/or brushing it on while cooking, especially on pork tenderloin and chicken breasts.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182 said:
1st Choice BBQ in Brandon or Plant City. Food and sauces are excellent. Black owned and everyone knows they make the best B-Q

Some of the best BBQ anywhere!!!

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Smoke-A-Rama BBQ, Corner Macomb St, and Crack Ave., Frenchtown. Circa 1969

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter said:
Depends on my mood. For a straight dipping sauce used after the meat comes off the grill, I really like the Secret Six Molasses (Mole Asses) sauce. Sometimes I use a dry rub before cooking or my homemade datil pepper relish.
This stuff's really good for grocery store. Great on ribs.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator said:
I like Sweet Baby Ray's, but tried one called Stubbs recently. It's more vinegary and liquidy as opposed to thick like SBR.
Sweet Baby Ray's is good. They sell it Costco out here. Kinda turned me off from that POV.

Try more of Stubbs. They based out of Texas. Actually went to one of his restaurants last year when I was in Austin. They sell it in the grocery out here. It is a little more watery but it's great for constant basting. The mopping sauce it excellent.

http://www.stubbsbbq.com

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbgator said:
The mustard-based Southern Gold sauce from Maurice Bessinger's Piggie Park restaurants down in SC is real good, but his ties to the Klan, etc. pretty much killed any chance of finding it in retail outlets anywhere, although his grandsons have taken over the business and are trying to distance themselves from that.

Locally, Red Bridges BBQ Lodge is the best sauce in these parts, but you can only get it at the restaurant.
You got that right on Maurice's. Once they quit selling it in Publix I had to go straight internet.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
For mustard based: Jenkins
http://www.jenkinsqualitybarbecue.com/_index.php
191_3_Pints.JPG

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
bradgator2;n6055 said:
Down in the Valley, in Brownsville/McAllen. It was my first time there. That place is a freaking dump. They should just cut it off and give it back to Mexico. South Padre Island was cool though.
Haven't been there before but i've been pretty much all over texas...i love visiting for the food (great BBQ and Steak houses) but there isn't much to the state. Heading down to Ft. Worth next week and will for sure be hitting up Rudy's as always

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb