AP all time programs

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Meh, it looks about right except #9 and #10 should be switched around.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's not really subjective. So it is what it is. I'm sure we were ahead of FSU at the end of the last decade. Jimbo and Chump took the two programs in opposite directions.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Notre Dame should be #1. Us and FSU would have flipped on this about 5 years ago.

The top 3 should be:

Notre Dame
Alabama
USCw

Miami should be a top 10 program. They have FIVE national titles. Yes I despise them but it is what it is. This list puts way too much emphasis on current standings (other than ND).

How the Fvk is Clemson a top 25 ALL TIME program?

How is Texas ranked higher than us?

Why is Awwburn ranked so low?

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This list puts way too much emphasis on current standings (other than ND).

From what I read, this list puts absolutely no emphasis on current standings. Every week in the poll's history was given equal weight. Bonus points were only given for being #1 or finishing the season #1.

As far as Miami is concerned, they received 50 extra points for their titles, but were too inconsistent for complete decades to make the top 10.

This poll is not biased, it's only a calculation of AP poll history.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
****in bull shcit. Thanks for posting j! Anybody got any dead pets they wanna talk about while we're here?

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's actually a pretty good spot for us, considering that our program was really a 2nd tier (at best) program for the first 50 of the 80 years represented here. I bet if you did the same analysis for the past 30 years, we'd be much higher.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Don't we have the series edge vs fsu?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So Ohio State with five national titles gets ranked ahead of Alabama with 10 national titles on the basis of the Buckeyes having been ranked higher in the polls more often.

No. 1, who gives a crap where you were ranked in October? No. 2, college football for too long was not a lot different than diving or figure skating -- too reliant on subjective analysis.

We need an eight-team playoff.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So Ohio State with five national titles gets ranked ahead of Alabama with 10 national titles on the basis of the Buckeyes having been ranked higher in the polls more often.

No. 1, who gives a crap where you were ranked in October? No. 2, college football for too long was not a lot different than diving or figure skating -- too reliant on subjective analysis.

We need an eight-team playoff.
Alabama is penalized for disappearing from the top 25 for periods of time. Ohio State has more consistent over the years. For instance, the Gators earned more points in the 90's than they did in next decade despite winning two national titles.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Alabama is penalized for disappearing from the top 25 for periods of time. Ohio State has more consistent over the years. For instance, the Gators earned more points in the 90's than they did in next decade despite winning two national titles.

Relative strength of schedule.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:yawn:. Who cares about what teams did in the Leather Helmet Era? Some of those "top teams" havent won anything significant in three decades.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
It's actually a pretty good spot for us, considering that our program was really a 2nd tier (at best) program for the first 50 of the 80 years represented here. I bet if you did the same analysis for the past 30 years, we'd be much higher.

I was thinking the same thing... we had some flashes of brilliance in the '60's.
Dickey did worse than Graves in the 70's.
Pell brought us up to lofty heights before the sh!t hit the fan in '84.
Hall (and Darnell) did what they could for the remainder of the decade.

So...Really we haven't kicked ass on the national stage until HBC got here in '90.
And even then we were on probation.
the clowns had a pretty impressive run of being ranked and in the mix for a long time.

Overall - doesn't really matter. It's all cyclical anyway and I think we're about to get rambunctious again.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Ok, honestly how is OSU ahead of Michigan? Michigan leads in "the series" , has the most all time wins in all of CFB but their behind OSU. Probably should be in no particular order, OU, Michigan, Bama, ND.....OSU would be around 7th or 8th.....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They weigh the September and October rankings just as highly as the final rankings. Its just stupid.

However, it means Georgia FINALLY gets recognition for all those preseason and September championships.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They weigh the September and October rankings just as highly as the final rankings. Its just stupid.

However, it means Georgia FINALLY gets recognition for all those preseason and September championships.
In that case, I'm surprised Tenercee isn't ranked a lot higher.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Personally, I have a heartache with FSU teams that, although talented, earned their way into the a NC game by padding the win column against the likes of Wake Forest, Duke, Maryland, Virginia, UNC, NC State, etc. Football behemoths all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator