Applebee Starter for Outback Bowl

BluH2OGtr

May 28, 2016
The Bama guy shoved the **** out of the guy on the first one and Fullwood could have easily prevented another one.
I agree with you on Fullwood...I had a typo...meant to say that he could have "tried" to make a play on the ball. The Bama guy did shove him, but the receiver was still running his route, and not looking for the ball to begin with. Again, not trying to be argumentative, but that was my observation from the stands....I haven't had a chance yet to watch the replay.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
44633-apple-turnovers.jpg

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I don't know if I've ever seen a QB be so "on" for one drive and then so "off" for the next, and the next, and the next, and then all the sudden "on" again for one, then off again, and again, and again....

I think that's pretty much the book on Appleby.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
So Mac is gonna double down on Applebee now, shoot me in the head. This season can't end soon enough.
Exactly. Why should we expect any outside the box thinking?

This is EXACTLY how we ended the season last year.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Appleby may very well be the starter, but I don't think that Tweet confirms it. I've heard backups talk about being excited to play a hometown team or rival even though they personally weren't getting on the field. Mac stating that Appleby would be excited to play Iowa doesn't necessarily equate to him being the starter.

Having said that, I'd be willing to bet that Appleby starts.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Why would Mac change QBs?
I think you're right T. He is too brain dead to make the change even though he gives lip service to the media, but did you hear he has to talk to the parents, and the kids, blah, blah. I'm truly a cynic, but I think he fears how a Frosh might play and make people really wonder why they haven't been playing all along. By the way, that picture/avatar really tells the story.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I think that's pretty much the book on Appleby.
Yes, and that was an apex game for this guy. His lifetime stats tell the story. His INTs and TDs about the same. He's a one step forward, 3 steps back guy, and that's on a good day. On his off days, he's a pile of dung in reverse.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with you on Fullwood...I had a typo...meant to say that he could have "tried" to make a play on the ball. The Bama guy did shove him, but the receiver was still running his route, and not looking for the ball to begin with. Again, not trying to be argumentative, but that was my observation from the stands....I haven't had a chance yet to watch the replay.
You got it right. Fullwood was running along with his head up his backside, evidently his MO since he's been here. In his defense, he was probably expecting AA to throw it either X yds to the right, X yds to the left, X yds too far or out of bounds. Oh, I missed X yds too short.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Why the heck not start Franks. So, it's better to throw him out there on the road, in TX, against Meatchicken in his first start. Wow. So what if he has to talk to his parents. I would think they're all for the kid getting a shot. If he is that awesome, he's still got three years to make the NFL. Not sure on this but would him EE last January be a factor with our game being Jan. 2??

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Something about this bowl creates a glitch in my brain = Applebees and Outback ?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I want my baby back, outback, applebee's, turnovers....wait, turnovers...that's Arby's and AA.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Not trying to be argumentative, but the interceptions were on Appleby. 1st one thrown behind Hammond, 2nd was the missed touchdown to Callaway across the middle that was 5 yards behind him, and then the 3rd was another underthrown ball to Fulwood...although I guess it could be argued that Fulwood did try to make a play on the ball.
On you last point about Fulwood it was both. But it was just a shyt pass to begin with.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Two things that improve the chances that somebody other than AA and/or LDR will play:

* even if they haven't necessarily gotten a lot of reps in practice, by this point in the season the freshmen QBs have accumulated 12 games worth of film study etc. Theoretically, they know a LOT more now than they did 2 or even 7 games into the season. More knowledge = less risk. (Still could be very high, but it's less than it was.)

* during the regular season, players are allowed 20 hours of football time per week, and part of that is devoted to putting in the game plan for the upcoming opponent. We have 80 hours of football time before the next game.

I can't speak to the mindset of the coaches however. Nor to how the other freshman or potentially incoming QBs would react, if either Franks or Trask is named starter for the bowl game, which would implicitly also make him the default leading candidate to be next year's starter.

On the flip side, if you were in the shoes of Trask or Franks, knowing Allen is coming in and Stidham is a decent possibility, would you trade a future year of eligibility for the chance to start this bowl game and possibly lock-in your status as the front-runner for next year?

One of the interesting things about how SOS uses his quarterbacks ... yank 'em if they're not doing well or what he wants, and try somebody else ... i.e., exactly how coaches handle every other position on the team ... is that the choice of "who's the starter at QB" isn't quite as consequential or near-immutable as it seems to be for McElwain and Nuss. Some corporate CEO was recently quoted as saying something to the effect of "Having a Plan B is preparing for failure." Our coaches seem to have that mentality on QBs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator