Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
What if the freshman don't want their redshirts pulled for a meaningless game

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Losers choose the company of other losers so I'm not surprised by Mac's decision. With that being said....One thing is for sure....It's going to be another long a$$ offseason!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
As if starting Franks would be a better option than Appleby? Franks would be traumatized. Anyone who actually thought he was gonna pull a redshirt for 1 bowl game was foolish.
Traumatized? By Iowa? Good gawd... this is just embarrassing.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Well that will give us absolutely nothing to talk about the entire off-season. What a shock.

It will also give us absolutely no reason to even watch the game.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I will watch just to see if Mac can get the guys that are leaving to give good effort out there. Last year was a joke effort wise by some players.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Franks' handlers probably made the decision, not our coaches.

:facepalm:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I saw this last night and thought to myself... I can't wait to read the meltdown on Gatorchatter over a decision we all knew was coming.

If Franks/Trask didnt' want to burn their redshirt for an exhibition game... I am OK with that. My worry is that they will get a lot of the practice time over the next 2 weeks and Appleby will be even less prepared than normal for the game.

If we an get the good Appleby for 90% of this game we should win easily... the problem is I don't think you get the good without the bad.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It comes down to what is more important to the coaching staff, getting ready for next year... or getting ready for an also ran bowl game. You could tell early last year that the guys leaving stopped playing early, or were trying to force some game tape highlights to happen. If the staff is going to "coach" up the young guys, then have them play and show us good or bad what we have in store for next year.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Did you not see Franks in the spring game? He'd struggle against an FCS school
Why the F did we recruit and sign him then? I keep hearing wait till he has "his guys" in there at qb (despite the fact that bees/rio are his guys). Now that its a good time for, and most everyone wants to see his guys, the new talking point is they couldn't handle an FCS defense.

It will have been just shy of a year since the spring game when the bowl game occurs. If he cant beat an FCS school after a year on the team, on the practice field and in the playbook then, once again, why did we sign him?

There is no way you can get around this... Mac either made yet another boneheaded evaluation of a qb, or the staff cant develop one good enough to beat a team that averages about 14 points a game. So which is it? I'll hang up and listen.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Foremost yearn should be to win that bowl game. That game is a 3 hour TV commercial for your FB program.
UF's recruits will be watching, to see what they like, to decide if they want to buy into our FB program. They
want to buy into a winning program. No entity ever puts on a TV-commercial that does not draw users toward
their product. No CFB program should think that whether they win or lose is meaningless. Recruits do not
think it meaningless.

Now Franks can still play if MacnCrew have him ready to win for us. (MacnCrew have had enough time-span
to have Franks field-ready.) However, it's dumb to flush Franks' redshirt for one game. I don't buy that rationale
that if Franks is good, then he'll go NFL early and not use that last "extra" year. Suppose we burn the RS and
then 3 games into the 2017 season Franks is lost to a season-ending injury = we'll wish he had the option for
that one more year.
Just Go Gators !

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
If Franks ain't good enough to start by the bowl game I doubt he's gonna be any better next fall. His been on campus for 11 months, plenty of time to develop.
We open on the road against Michigan next year. Is that a wise time for his first start?
He either sux or he's so good that they really want to save a year of eligibility. You can decide for yourself which is more likely.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If Franks ain't good enough to start by the bowl game I doubt he's gonna be any better next fall. His been on campus for 11 months, plenty of time to develop.
We open on the road against Michigan next year. Is that a wise time for his first start?
He either sux or he's so good that they really want to save a year of eligibility. You can decide for yourself which is more likely.
This guy is really good and we currently suck at the position he plays... so let's go ahead and not play him... said no good coach, ever.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why the F did we recruit and sign him then? I keep hearing wait till he has "his guys" in there at qb (despite the fact that bees/rio are his guys). Now that its a good time for, and most everyone wants to see his guys, the new talking point is they couldn't handle an FCS defense.

It will have been just shy of a year since the spring game when the bowl game occurs. If he cant beat an FCS school after a year on the team, on the practice field and in the playbook then, once again, why did we sign him?

There is no way you can get around this... Mac either made yet another boneheaded evaluation of a qb, or the staff cant develop one good enough to beat a team that averages about 14 points a game. So which is it? I'll hang up and listen.

I just don't think Franks is ready. And, I don't know if Mac is the guy or not right now. I'm willing to wait until the end of next year to see if he can field a component offense but right now my guy is telling me he isn't gonna make it.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I just don't think Franks is ready. And, I don't know if Mac is the guy or not right now. I'm willing to wait until the end of next year to see if he can field a component offense but right now my guy is telling me he isn't gonna make it.
I hope by end of next year you mean beginning of next fall when the season starts

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I hope by end of next year you mean beginning of next fall when the season starts

If he starts out next year terrible and it's obvious we aren't progressing at all, by all means we should fire him. However if we look good and the offense looks like it's getting better and actually looks like a decent offense, I say give him the year and then evaluate him. We have what appears to be a very tough schedule next year (despite most of our games being at home and our only true road games being ones you'd think we should win) next year will tell us whether he's the guy or not, IMO.

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
As much as I wish we could see one of the freshmen I do understand why we will not. When you think about it, it would be silly to have them waste a year on one meaningless game. I guess if there were 1/3 -1/4 of the season left, and that particular QB was going to get those games regardless of outcome then fine, but one game would be a waste.
It would really be cool if the NCAA would not count bowl games toward eligibility. Imagine if all redshirts could paly and not get penalized. Say if that was the only game they played in the entire year.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
What if the freshman don't want their redshirts pulled for a meaningless game

I've made my view of bowl games clear. I hate them for numerous reasons. However, this isn't a meaningless bowl game for UF. They were blown out the last 3 games last year. They've been blown out 2 straight this year. They can't end things on a sour note again. It will affect recruiting. It already is in my opinion. UF has an image problem. They need a good showing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator