Are we better than last years team at this point?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The program is in better shape than a year ago.

We’ve regained a massive amount of respect nationally. We are a legit top-10 team and program, a significant step on the way to becoming great again.

The team is on balance better than a year ago. The OL continues to be a weakness and a project but it’s much better than many OLs including the f$u one we play next. We also need more beef on the DL, especially a SDE or 2. And better safety play.

We’ve had zero embarrassing performances this year. Zero. There are certainly critiques to be made but we’re just a better team.

And I love Mullen’s depth of preparation, organization and the team culture he is building.

And we need to see the above get through to recruits so what we are an “it” program. Top 5 talent and more key transfers are needed. Badly.

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
We were a better defense across the board last year. Just as good of a pass rush, better against the run and didn't have to gamble to get off the field on 3rd like you said. Our dbacks can't tackle a loose RB to save their lives this year. And while we are better at passing the ball this year we aren't an offensive juggernaut the way some make it out to be....I mean we scored 23 points against Mizzou, 17 against UGA, 24 against an over rated Auburn team and 27 against UK…..Yeah bring on Clemson, Baby.....:lol2:

Better defense last year? You could absolutely count on a couple Joseph screw ups per game, many of which coast big play TD. CGJ was great, better than any db now, but otherwise I'd say this year is at least level.

Those 4 games you mentioned as examples of offensive juggernaut? Well the 3 we played last year we scored more in 19 than 18 in every one.

To me comparing the teams comes down to Trask. He's just better than Franks and I gotta admit I like him more. He'd never shush the home fans. So with other areas a push I say 19 is better than 18. Need to take another couple steps forward still, but I look forward to Saturdays again. Thanks Dan.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
For me personally, any season UF doesn't win at least the SEC is a failure. I don't care about the bowl games.
You're telling us that you wouldn't enjoy a two touchdown beatdown of Notre Dame on New Year's Day. Ox could care less. Meh. That's what your telling us?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You're telling us that you wouldn't enjoy a two touchdown beatdown of Notre Dame on New Year's Day. Ox could care less. Meh. That's what your telling us?
Ah, the wishful-thinking fantasy that we'll get someone like Notre Dame. Happens every year.

We won’t get Notre Dame. We’ll be getting a Boise State or a Memphis or an Iowa or some complete garbage team like that.

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
One thing not mentioned is our un-special teams at least as far as blocking and returning kicks. It seemed better last year but I don't know the stats.

I just noticed there's a whole thread started on this...

Last edited:

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Overall better mainly due to the ability of Trask. I feel we can play with anyone and beat most of them because of our QB and receivers.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I would say we are about the same.... youth along the OL has made that area take a step back, but our receiving corp (including TEs) have stepped forward. Our D-Line, LB, and Safety play is still a rollercoaster depending on the opponent. Our CBs have taken a step back, but our DE in pass rush have taken a step forward. Special Teams are just average just like last year. QB play has been nice, but it wasn't the coaches decision to go with Trask so can't give credit for that. But the lack of running game or creativity to create a running attack (as bad as our line is, there are worse with better rushing attacks) is scary being that is what we base our offensive on.

Last year finished a solid B, right now due to our schedule and what we are seeing a B if we finish the season in similar fashion would be accurate.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Ah, the wishful-thinking fantasy that we'll get someone like Notre Dame. Happens every year.

We won’t get Notre Dame. We’ll be getting a Boise State or a Memphis or an Iowa or some complete garbage team like that.
You're getting a lump of coal for Christmas, young man. We'll at least get a piece of a resurgent MeatChicken. Maybe even a shot at PedoState. Chin up.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We'll at least get a piece of a resurgent MeatChicken. Maybe even a shot at PedoState. Chin up.
:deadnanner::deadnanner::deadnanner:
There is NOTHING to chin up about another gd game against a mediocre Big 10 team.

Please at least give us ACC or Big 12. Not that same slow, boring ass Big10 teams.

Edit: Im seeing some Cotton Bowl predictions, some against American champ Memphis or Cincy. Not exactly an exciting but at least it's not citrus bowl vs Michigan.

Too bad directional school Golden Knights arent good enough to get that slot. It would be fun to beat them 70-6 or so.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Booger Boy would not make a good match up for us. They are playing angry and Shea Patterson is finally playing close to his potential. I'd rather see Minn., Pedo or Baylor...

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Booger Boy would not make a good match up for us. They are playing angry and Shea Patterson is finally playing close to his potential. I'd rather see Minn., Pedo or Baylor...
You’re still swinging on Harbaugh’s salty nuts? You never learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.