Are We Shortchanging Franks As A Dual-Threat QB?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
?? Got a whole season's worth of stats. Keep in mind that Franks improved a lot the last few games. So, he should be on an upswing for next year (2019-2020).
By opponents:
U Michigan .... 14 runs / 74 yds = 5.28 ypc {Perrine had 6 carries / 76 yds) .... longest pass 41 yds
FSU ................12 runs / 53 yds = 4.41 ypc ... longest pass 54 yds
Idaho ...............2 runs / 21 yds = 10.5 ypc ... longest pass 52 yds
USC ................16 runs / 60 yds = 3.75 ypc ... longest pass 19 yds
Mizzou ............3 runs / 17 yds = 5.6 ypc ... longest pass 27 yds
UGa ................8 runs / 36 yds = 4.5 ypc ... longest pass 36 yds
Vandy .............11 runs / 25 yds = 2.27 ypc ...longest pass 63 yds
LSU .................6 runs / 42 yds = 7.0 ypc ....longest pass 44 yds
MSU ................6 runs / 10 yds = 1.66 ypc ... longest pass 20 yds
UT ...................9 runs / 28 yds = 3.1 ypc ......longest pass 65 yds
Col.St. U ..........7 runs / 30 yds = 4.2 ypc ......longest pass 38 yds
UK ...................11 runs / 54 yds = 4.7 ypc .... longest pass 30 yds
Charl.SU ......... 5 runs / 34 yds = 6.8 ypc ...... longest pass 46 yds.

For the season Franks had 110 rushing attempts vs Perrine & Scarlett around 131 each. For the season FF averaged 5.5 ypc.(useful). IMO, Franks is just catching on to his DT QB role. Opine, please.

Last edited:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I think it is what it is. His rushing abilities are better than most give him credit for but that is probably a good reason to give credit towards his success at rushing.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Your numbers support your point. I can't argue it.

But I'm of the belief that whatever was asked of FF then he would willingly strive to achieve it. He's a gamer and competitor and tough...physically. He's a little soft on the emotions part but he's young.

Also, his football IQ was low but is rising quickly.

Overall, I was embarrassed to have him be our QB last year but am very glad he's our QB now. His arm is off the charts.

Go CDM & Brian Johnson!!

:chomp:

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
?? Got a whole season's worth of stats. Keep in mind that Franks improved a lot the last few games. So, he should be on an upswing for next year (2019-2020).
By opponents:
U Michigan .... 14 runs / 74 yds = 5.28 ypc {Perrine had 6 carries / 76 yds) .... longest pass 41 yds
FSU ................12 runs / 53 yds = 4.41 ypc ... longest pass 54 yds
Idaho ...............2 runs / 21 yds = 10.5 ypc ... longest pass 52 yds
USC ................16 runs / 60 yds = 3.75 ypc ... longest pass 19 yds
Mizzou ............3 runs / 17 yds = 5.6 ypc ... longest pass 27 yds
UGa ................8 runs / 36 yds = 4.5 ypc ... longest pass 36 yds
Vandy .............11 runs / 25 yds = 2.27 ypc ...longest pass 63 yds
LSU .................6 runs / 42 yds = 7.0 ypc ....longest pass 44 yds
MSU ................6 runs / 10 yds = 1.66 ypc ... longest pass 20 yds
UT ...................9 runs / 28 yds = 3.1 ypc ......longest pass 65 yds
Col.St. U ..........7 runs / 30 yds = 4.2 ypc ......longest pass 38 yds
UK ...................11 runs / 54 yds = 4.7 ypc .... longest pass 30 yds
Charl.SU ......... 5 runs / 34 yds = 6.8 ypc ...... longest pass 46 yds.

For the season Franks had 110 rushing attempts vs Perrine & Scarlett around 131. For the season FF averaged 5.5 ypc.(useful). IMO, Franks is just catching on to his DT QB role. Opine, please.

Yes. The more he plays the better he'll get. He's not an elusive runner but is not afraid of contact. When he puts those giraffe legs in high gear he covers ground quickly. Personally. I don't see anyone unseating him next season. Biggest issue all the QBs will have are new starters on the OL...how fast they gel.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Franks turned it up a notch after the Booing he took in the Mizzu game. I,m not one to boo my own players but that did seem to light a fire under his As$.
He started running with a little passion and like he had a pair, he's a pretty good runner when he runs like that.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
He's never going to be a guy that makes huge plays with his legs, but he doesn't need to do that to make the offense go. I think the last two games are what we can expect to see form him. He's got to do it enough to make the defense realize they have to account for it.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
He's better but IMO Mel Kiper will never list him as Dual Threat

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
He's never going to be a guy that makes huge plays with his legs, but he doesn't need to do that to make the offense go. I think the last two games are what we can expect to see form him. He's got to do it enough to make the defense realize they have to account for it.

That run of 70+ yards against TAMU in 2017 was entertaining, ugly uniforms aside.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Yes. The more he plays the better he'll get. He's not an elusive runner but is not afraid of contact. When he puts those giraffe legs in high gear he covers ground quickly. Personally. I don't see anyone unseating him next season. Biggest issue all the QBs will have are new starters on the OL...how fast they gel.
I think part of his problem early in the season was he thought he was elusive. (Remember his attempts at hurdling tacklers?) Once he realized he is 240#'s and with a full head steam, probably no fun to tackle, he became a better runner.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He's a good enough runner to keep a defense honest, but he doesn't have the strength and speed for a coach to give him 20+ carries in a game when the game is tight, which is what Mullen would do to his QB's in the past. I think his good but not great running ability has forced Mullen to improve his play-calling and not be as predictable as he once was, which isn't intended to be a knock on Mullen. This past year for the most part was the best play-calling I've seen from him.

Ball security was a big issue Franks's freshman year, and while that's improved, he still needs to make sure that's shored up. I also think it would help if he beefed up a little more so he can not only take some hits but also move the pile once in awhile. Announcers every game said he was 240 lbs, but he looked maybe 225 at best.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He’s a far cry from Michael Vick, but he’s effective enough to keep the defense honest. He’ll never be a good option QB, but a big SOB like him getting north and south clearly opens this offense up. Although I’d still like to see more of Jones in wildcat looks (think Tebow’s freshman years).

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
He’s a far cry from Michael Vick, but he’s effective enough to keep the defense honest. He’ll never be a good option QB, but a big SOB like him getting north and south clearly opens this offense up. Although I’d still like to see more of Jones in wildcat looks (think Tebow’s freshman years).
Curious to get others opinions, but in the Peach Bowl, for the few snaps he was in, Michigan looked very concerned about his running. It looked to me to his pitch to Scarlett was effective because of this.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think you saw a couple things by the end of the year.

One is he began to take accountability for his play. Under the Mac regime, nobody did that. Particularly the coaches. It was always everybody else’s fault. Hell even the fans were at fault according to them. If that means he had to vilify the fans a little bit to find that extra fuel to fire his competitiveness, then it was a win-win all around.

But right in tandem with that, was point number two. And that’s that he started to play faster. He still has some problems processing the field but he is getting better at it. But when a scheme is new to you, you are going to play slower. And try to not make mistakes. And that was something that Mullen was trying to break from him. Being too deliberate. Plays under Mac were so slow developing and complex that it didn’t allow the QB to play loose. And it’s important to understand that these QBs are still young. Putting them in complex NFL like systems is not great for them. They are still young, they process information differently, and they are still growing both physically and mentally. Building up their confidence and giving them quick reaction schemes greatly increases production and gives them confidence. You can always add complexity down the line as they get older and more accustomed to the scheme. This is something that Mullen does very, very well.

My biggest problem with Franks last year and the beginning of this year was not his production. It was his attitude. But I think that was just a symptom of the last regime. Hopefully.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. Announcers every game said he was 240 lbs, but he looked maybe 225 at best.
He is a legit 6-6 or so. Im sure he is 240 but he could use a little bulk and leg muscle to keep running. The problem is he is just a huge target and he isnt particularly elusive. Its better to be the hammer than the nail.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Look at called runs vs running from pocket. Seem to remember a few good called runs that were set up well.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think part of his problem early in the season was he thought he was elusive. (Remember his attempts at hurdling tacklers?) Once he realized he is 240#'s and with a full head steam, probably no fun to tackle, he became a better runner.

Correct, GatbyMar, His shortfall may always be his thought-processing. Their are a % of brains that rarely draw their own conclusions about what they experience. That is a type of learning/processing deficit. They're not stupid; that would be like calling a colorblind person stupid for messing up colors. Anyway, because his major learning was taking sacks before he had time to run, it may never have occurred to Franks that he could escape tacklers running forward until Mullen made him do it. Guess he's not a gifted runner, but teach him to build up steam and, just before impact, have him veer just 20-30 degrees off the head-on collision, his runs will keep drives alive.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
His last 4 games he was a completely different QB. I attribute it to Mullen finally letting him run....or dare I say it, he "trusted" Franks to run.

He needs to improve his completion percentage and he'll be a good QB in this system. Right now, due to his sub-60% completion percentage he'll continue to be limited vs. the 'big boys' on our schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator